Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: YouTube Interview with Ove Bengtson, Product Manager Hasselblad H System.  (Read 4510 times)
KLaban

« on: May 14, 2012, 01:54:53 AM »
ReplyReply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmow2-PMq5g&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 02:02:20 AM by KLaban » Logged

John R Smith

Still crazy, after all these years

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:35:20 AM »
ReplyReply

Ove is fine, a pity the person conducting the interview is such an ignorant and unnecessarily agressive toad.

John
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:38:03 AM by John R Smith » Logged

Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
and a case full of (very old) lenses and other bits
Stefan.Steib

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 04:46:29 AM »
ReplyReply

thanks for that link, that was interesting.

As for the content of his statements, the part on the lenses keeps some questions open.
E.G. are the levels of quality of the H Lenses "better than the Zeiss V versions" with or without the electronic corrections ?
And will the Zeiss versions be better if hasselblad would apply the same corrections to the V lenses ?
And in this connection I have to ask, as the corrections are not to be switched off with H-Cameras, what will happen
when they are used on the Leica S2 without the corrections that Hasselblad does in the Phocus software ?
He also said that there is a varying correction depending to the distance, probably from reading exif data of the lenses.

I ask myself if Leica knew this ? And if there was a cooperation on the Adapter for the S2 (which some were suspecting) why now this
interview at this date, that tell us the lenses will only work well on the Hasselblad H bodies ?.............. Roll Eyes

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses........ or intention ?

Very interesting !

regards
Stefan

PS.: The date of the Interview is exactly the 10th of may, same day the leica adapter was released............ what a synchronicity....... Wink
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:54:14 AM by Stefan.Steib » Logged

Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done this all the time"
www.hartblei.de     www.hcam.de    www.spectralize.com
Doug Peterson

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 07:54:37 AM »
ReplyReply

The tone and style of questioning reminded me more of an interrogation than an interview. I'm not saying interviewers have to be friendly shills, but this strikes me as overly aggressive.

Is there some sort of context you can provide KLaban? There is no intro, credit credit screen, or description.

Is this you (KLaban) interviewing?

DOUG PETERSON (dep@digitaltransitions.com), Digital Transitions
Dealer for Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Profoto
Office: 877.367.8537
Cell: 740.707.2183
Phase One IQ250 FAQ
KLaban

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »
ReplyReply

Is there some sort of context you can provide KLaban? There is no intro, credit credit screen, or description.

Is this you (KLaban) interviewing?

Doug, no, it's not sweet little me.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:31:26 AM by KLaban » Logged

John R Smith

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 08:35:44 AM »
ReplyReply

The tone and style of questioning reminded me more of an interrogation than an interview. I'm not saying interviewers have to be friendly shills, but this strikes me as overly aggressive.

Indeed. And the other thing they could have paid a little more attention to is room acoustics - the sound is dreadful. If you can't have a proper studio, at least use a well-furnished, well-damped room. Or go outdoors, if all else fails.

John

design_freak

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:02:39 AM »
ReplyReply

This smells like some sort of provocation, do not be afraid to say it - very cheap

Best regards,
DF

-------------------------------------------
WORK HARD AND BE NICE TO PEOPLE
-------------------------------------------
KLaban

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 11:28:26 AM »
ReplyReply

Hmm, let me think, could it be the interviewer intentionally adopted a pseudo aggressive approach to mimic the Blad bashers?

Surely not!

As I said, it's not me, but I wish it had been.  
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:49:36 AM by KLaban » Logged

BJL

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 12:16:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Hmm, let me think, could it be the interviewer intentionally adopted a pseudo aggressive approach to mimic the Blad bashers?
Or maybe he is just an ignorant lens snob, or a live version of an internet troll (complete with his anonymity on the video). First confidently stating the inferiority of the new H system's Fujinon lenses to the old V Zeiss lenses (offering no evidence of course), then reacting to the contrary statement from Ove Bengtson by accusing him of having no evidence and merely expressing an opinion ... and finally showing his  ignorance on the subject by talking nonsense about the correction software applying sharpening to correct for lens softness.

But all with the rhetorical device of phrasing his claims and accusations as mere questions and reports of what others have said, so he can pretend that he did not say anything false.
KLaban

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 12:22:25 PM »
ReplyReply

Or maybe he is just an ignorant lens snob, or a live version of an internet troll (complete with his anonymity on the video).

lol

You think I'd post this link without knowing who the interviewer was?

henrikfoto

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »
ReplyReply

I think his questions are ok. He is a little too agressive, but no big deal.
The questions he asks are good. Everybody knows the Hasselblad Tilt/shift device
degrades the pictures. Why deny that??

And why have they waited all these years to aply digital corrections for the Zeiss-lenses?

Henrik
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 02:12:39 PM by henrikfoto » Logged
Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
ReplyReply

and finally showing his  ignorance on the subject by talking nonsense about the correction software applying sharpening to correct for lens softness.

Isn't that exactly what Hasselblad is doing?

BJL

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »
ReplyReply

Isn't that exactly what Hasselblad is doing?
No: did you even bother to listen to the reply from Hasselblad, or read a bit? The software corrects for lens distortions, lateral chromatic aberrations and such: imperfections that any lens has, including the older Zeiss lens designs for the V series.

It is strange how the clear positive of providing a carefully customized way to improve on the inevitable imperfections of lenses and glass gets twisted into a negative.
henrikfoto

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 02:28:27 PM »
ReplyReply

No: did you even bother to listen to the reply from Hasselblad, or read a bit? The software corrects for lens distortions, lateral chromatic aberrations and such: imperfections that any lens has, including the older Zeiss lens designs for the V series.

It is strange how the clear positive of providing a carefully customized way to improve on the inevitable imperfections of lenses and glass gets twisted into a negative.

The point was just that it is odd to compare a digitally corrected H lens to a non-corrected V-lens.
A think that is a good point?

Henrik
Stefan.Steib

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 02:47:25 PM »
ReplyReply

Keith

You say you know who was doing this interview. Obviously it was a guy named "Nick" as Mr. Bengtson called him like this in the beginning. The accent of the guy was british Id say.
I think it was somebody who knows Mr. Bengtson quite well and because of this was doing a very direct way of "interrogation" but with the full consent of Mr. Bengtson.
I believe they both know each other quite well and were working through a catalogue of questions that had been defined by both and there was no surprise whatsoever.
I would not be surprised if "Nick" is a colleague from Hasselblad.

Smiley

Greetings from Lindenberg
Stefan

Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done this all the time"
www.hartblei.de     www.hcam.de    www.spectralize.com
John R Smith

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 03:19:16 PM »
ReplyReply

"Nick" is Australian. And on second thoughts, I think Stefan is right - it's a setup.

J
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 03:23:43 PM by John R Smith » Logged

BJL

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 03:38:36 PM »
ReplyReply

The point was just that it is odd to compare a digitally corrected H lens to a non-corrected V-lens.
Henrik, my reply which you quote was to someone reiterating the false idea that Hasselblad software is doing sharpening to compensate for softness of the lenses. I have no comment of the H vs V comparisons. except to suggest that if the bottom line is even better image quality than with the old lenses, I would not be bothered at all by using all tools now available, including software correction, to achieve those good results.

P. S. I am willing to go with the idea that the interviewer Nick was acting as a foil for the Hasselblad rep. Ove Bengtson. Unfortunately, I suspect that some people are so cynical (about today's Hasselblad at least) that they will reject what Bengtson says as marketing spin and continue to believe the canards lobbed by "Nick".
KLaban

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 04:20:31 PM »
ReplyReply

I think it was somebody who knows Mr. Bengtson quite well and because of this was doing a very direct way of "interrogation" but with the full consent of Mr. Bengtson.

Stefan, I'm saying nothing.

Grin

KLaban

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 05:00:54 PM »
ReplyReply

...and were working through a catalogue of questions that had been defined by both and there was no surprise whatsoever.

As I understand it nothing could be further from the truth. There were no scripted questions or answers.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:03:25 PM by KLaban » Logged

rolleiflexpages

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 01:25:47 AM »
ReplyReply

Stefan, if one has to believe the litterature the Leica S lenses are optically so good that they do not really require digital post processing of defects. That is a difference with Hasselblad H lenses as many of those have been calculated in such a way that they need post processing to alleviate a number of optical issues - hence also the price difference between Hasselblad H and Leica S lenses. Actually, I have seen some comparisons of shots taken with a Leica S system with and without post processing and the difference was almost nil. So, it could mean that having the S adaptor is good enough.
Pascal

Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com
Rolleiflex 6008 AF + DB20p, Rolleiflex Hy6, Leaf AFi-II 7
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad