Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: New to site and DMF... Just in time with H5D ! Help Please.  (Read 21962 times)
KLaban

« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2012, 03:13:31 AM »
ReplyReply

How about we all throw some money in a hat and get them a room?

yaya

« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2012, 03:26:14 AM »
ReplyReply

How about we all throw some money in a hat and get them a room?

You've got my 20p  Wink

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Mamiya Leaf |
e: ysh@leaf-photography.com | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | www.mamiyaleaf.com | yaya's blog
bcooter
« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2012, 03:54:02 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm not trying to escalate this silly conversation but just going to clarify a few things and be done.

1.  We tape the name on all of our cameras, except the REDs.  Nearly every project some client or agencies video guys are shooting behind-the-scenes and most of our client's brands have issues showing big white logos.

If there is no tape on our camera's logos then it got pulled off by accident.  When we shot that Phase gig, we just came off a project that had an agency still photographer and videographer documenting the Barcelona shoot so that's why the contax name was blanked out.
We weren't trying to trick anyone.

2.  The Phase video screen grab someone pulled up should have been retouched to to say p30+.  I've never looked at the complete video, (probably won't), but to change the p45 to p30 would have taken 10 minutes in post  and makes sense, but hey . . . Phase has a small marketing budget and the editor probably had limited resource.

Having worked in partnership with large corporations and agencies with 1000 times the marketing budget of Phase I've seen bigger mistakes than a logo or slight misinfomration about a product  (especially one that didn't exist at the time).

Cut em' some slack, because unless your privledged to some e-mail that said "do this or else", it probably was just simple oversight, compounded by time and resources.  These medium format companies are tiny in the world of electronic camera companies. 

3.  I don't believe you can judge any camera system unless you shoot in your own exact style, go through rounds of post production and deliver.  I'm not going to comment on the D800 cause I haven't tried one, but since I shoot 99.9999999% people skin tones are important to me and I don't like the  skintones with my Nikons.

4.  Most of this is Apples to Oranges.  Everyone shoots in a different style and subject,  so IMO  test in your own style and don't waste your time looking on the web to compare images of any size, because you didn't shoot them and don't know the intent of the photographer and/or client.  With medium format it is very, very easy to arrange a proper test, if your serious.

5.  I would have said a year ago (actually I did) that all medium format should go to cmos.  Today I feel the opposite.  Compared to the 35mm cameras my Phase have slow iso, but we light, know how to work around it and in my work (let me repeat that) in my work, I have found the ccd based cameras I've used from the dcs 760, to the Leica M8 to the Aptus 22 to my Phase P21+ and P30+ all have much more robust files to work in post than any cmos camera I own.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:45:23 AM by bcooter » Logged
FredBGG

« Reply #223 on: October 17, 2012, 05:08:25 AM »
ReplyReply

You've got my 20p  Wink

Impressive... deep pockets  Wink
FredBGG

« Reply #224 on: October 17, 2012, 05:12:26 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm not trying to escalate this silly conversation but just going to clarify a few things and be done.

1.  We tape the name on all of our cameras, except the REDs.  Nearly every project some client or agencies video guys are shooting behind-the-scenes and most of our client's brands have issues showing big white logos.

If there is no tape on our camera's logos then it got pulled off by accident.  When we shot that Phase gig, we just came off a project that had an agency still photographer and videographer documenting the Barcelona shoot so that's why the contax name was blanked out.
We weren't trying to trick anyone.

I don't doubt you at all. Often logos have to be hidden on props in films or ads. Some photographers also just don't like flashy white text waving in the models face.

However out of curiosity what do you think about the description PhaseOneDK used on the youtube posting of the video.

It's pretty clear:
"Phase One camera system: http://www.phaseone.com
Watch professional photographer James Russell working with the Phase One camera system on a photo shooting for Phase One."

Click on the hyperlink, takes you to the phase one web site and this is the camera system there is the DF. phase One Camera System

This clearly would lead people to believe that what you say about being unbreakable even after your roughing the camera up etc is refereed to the DF.

I agree with you about the robustness of the P series backs.... built like little tanks, but the DF is far from robust or rock solid.
Mine would work for days on end and then out of the blue the wheel on the body or grip would no longer work.... remove lens... remove batteries... put it together again...
make up some excuse to tell the client.... put it back together again.. say a little prayer and it may come back to life.

The p25+ back on my Fuji gx680 worked all the time.

Yea as you say I could have tested one before, but that would have made little difference because the freeze attacks might not happen for days.

Anyway I just want to repeat that I'm not saying you did anything fishy. I probably should have made that more clear from the get go.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:41:00 AM by FredBGG » Logged
FredBGG

« Reply #225 on: October 17, 2012, 05:57:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Cut em' some slack, because unless your privledged to some e-mail that said "do this or else", it probably was just simple oversight, compounded by time and resources.  These medium format companies are tiny in the world of electronic camera companies. 

IMO

BC

I would BC if it were not for this sort of thing:

Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91KqEfi23FU&feature=youtu.be

The video shows a Phase One guy shooting moving action with strobe and WIDE OPEN
with fast focus. Yet the very manual of that cameras states that you need to shoot at f8 in order to achieve focus
with fast focus.

From page 99 of the pdf manual.

C-19 AF Priority [AF_2]
Accuracy of auto-focusing priority (default setting) or speed priority can be
decided.
0: Speed
(Aperture to f/ 8 is recommended when using this function.)[/quore]

The claims of faster focusing are somewhat over rated.
buried deep in the manual it states that the faster focusing setting is only accurate enough at f8 or more.
No mention of that in there video plugging their new focusing.

Anders_HK

« Reply #226 on: October 17, 2012, 07:41:20 AM »
ReplyReply

Likewise.

4.  Most of this is Apples to Oranges.  Everyone shoots in a different style and subject,  so IMO  test in your own style and don't waste your time looking on the web to compare images of any size, because you didn't shoot them and don't know the intent of the photographer and/or client.  With medium format it is very, very easy to arrange a proper test, if your serious.

Sample RAW files of similar subjects to ones own are very valuable, since shot by folks already familiar with the system/back/camera. Likewise is hearing from other shooters / dealer/agent of differences to what one normally shoot, since that can help to pinpoint the differences towards making an individual choice. Review of many processed images display what others achieve after post.

Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad