Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: New Mac Pro(2012)  (Read 2721 times)
felix5616

« on: September 19, 2012, 07:36:54 AM »
ReplyReply

I am currently using a mac pro from 2004 with OS 10.4 that i use for scanning(creo IQ3 scanner), photoshop CS5 and printing with an HP Z3200.
The set is very stable but i need more power/ram for photoshop CS5. I will keep the older mac pro for the scanner.
My question is this; when i upgrade to the new mac pro can i simply transfer only my HP printer software to the new computer or must i set up the printer from scratch on the new mac pro? Any assistance/guidance/info is appreciated.
kers

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:03:44 AM »
ReplyReply

If you buy a new MacPro it comes pre-installed with 10.8.1 or 2 and as soon as you connect the printer- Software update will download the drivers that you need.

I am currently running 10.6.8 because i like it best- the Lion versions are going towards iOS and do not bring any new good things i find.

The good thing of a new OS is that you can run photoshop with 64 bits ( from OSX 10.6) and use as much memory (RAM) as you need.

As you probably know the MacPro has not been updated since a long time- 2 years or so- in 2013 Apple has said to come with a ( completely) new MacPro.
It will be : much faster ( CPU) - thunderbolt ( or maybe LightPeak)  -  USB3 - a better Video card... etc..
So you can also choose to wait for that...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu
francois

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »
ReplyReply

I am currently using a mac pro from 2004 with OS 10.4 that i use for scanning(creo IQ3 scanner), photoshop CS5 and printing with an HP Z3200.
The set is very stable but i need more power/ram for photoshop CS5. I will keep the older mac pro for the scanner.
My question is this; when i upgrade to the new mac pro can i simply transfer only my HP printer software to the new computer or must i set up the printer from scratch on the new mac pro? Any assistance/guidance/info is appreciated.

You must have a PowerMac. Mac Pros landed in 2006 only. The software that you currently run on your 2004 Mac won't run on an Intel-powered Mac.

Kers answered your question regarding the printer software.

Francois
felix5616

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks kers, i'll most likely wait till 2013
elolaugesen

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »
ReplyReply

Felix.....

A s you are using a Mac from back in 2004.   before you decide on the MAC PRO   promised but not yet delivered. 

the world has changed significantly in the past 8 years...

Look carefully at your requirements then consider some of the new Imac's (new ones coming out shortly??) or the MacBook Pro's  lots of memory use external monitor in both cases .......    portable Allows you to move around etc.   

Have someone with the expertise look at what you do then configure a machine.

Lots of pro's find that the new super fast imac's/Macbook Pro's do the job...

cheers elo.
kers

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »
ReplyReply

Felix, Elo is right.

Depending on what you need a iMac is good value.
The main reason to buy a Macpro ( 2013) would be expansiblity and flexibility; more hard disks (Raid), faster, more ram,  more ports- to be able to put in PCI cards etc.
I really want one because of that and the increasing filesize of my photoshop files  (multi layer d800 16 bit psd files)
A new iMac is around the corner - probably this month or october so you can see if that is enough for you..

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu
felix5616

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:19:15 PM »
ReplyReply

portability is not an issue.  I frequently work with 1+GB files and various plug-ins  that are so slow on my current MAC. I need to be able to use as much ram as possible, ideally 32 to 64GB of ram. i would like to run 2 30" monitors and use fast drives. I can wait for new mac pros to be announced.
elolaugesen

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 02:24:31 AM »
ReplyReply

look at the thread on this forum 

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=70773.0

mediumcool

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
ReplyReply

You must have a PowerMac. Mac Pros landed in 2006 only. The software that you currently run on your 2004 Mac won't run on an Intel-powered Mac.

Um, PPC software will run in emulation on Intel Macs running 10.6 (via Rosetta).

My favourite text editor running on an iMac 10,1 Core 2 Duo running 10.6.8.

FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
elolaugesen

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 01:22:12 PM »
ReplyReply

rosetta is dead.. and left behind... 

To achieve a dual system configuration use either VirtualBox, VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop for Mac.

all have issues , some cost money... etc... etc.......

ie get the new software...

cheers   elo 

s
francois

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
ReplyReply

Um, PPC software will run in emulation on Intel Macs running 10.6 (via Rosetta).

My favourite text editor running on an iMac 10,1 Core 2 Duo running 10.6.8.

That is with the latest Mac OS X version but I concede that I was wrong without mentioning system version.

Francois
elolaugesen

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »
ReplyReply

Francois:   I agree with you about Rosetta and 10.6.8

However if he is going into a new world with a new machine, new drives, maybe printers, photoshop/lightroom or whatever ..... hanging on to a three year old operating system (10.6.8 ) is not a good recommendation.

It is easy for those of us who are there using it already, but if you have to upgrade hardware then go with an old operating system sorry I cannot see the sense in that.  Just finding documentation, hints, manuals etc. will take time .
I have heard that some of the new hardware CPU's that comes with the latest OS(ie mountain lion) cannot run older OS's natively (only virtual).  (Not  confirmed yet - info from forums).  Likewise some of the new software will depend on versions/changes to Save As (I hate that change).  Example Iworks will not run on older systems anymore.(based on info from apple forums) unless you can find an old iWork disc and then you have to watch every upgrade that a change does not sneak down and change your system.

cheers elo
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:52:56 AM by elolaugesen » Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad