Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Intrigued by mistery lens in Photokina report  (Read 2539 times)
Raul_82

« on: September 30, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

There is an image of a Shneider lens, a 28mm f4.5 PC-TS, in the Photokina report by Nick Devlin in LuLa's home page. Yet the report says that the new PC-TS lenses are a 50mm and a 90mm. Is this also a new lens? Is it an error? Anyone knows anything about this intrigue. I'm guessing is an error because I've haven't read anything about it in other Photokina News, but then, the lens picture is there.  Huh

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/photokina_2012.shtml
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:13:04 AM by Raul_82 » Logged
Raul_82

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:15:55 AM »
ReplyReply

The link is working now, my mistake, sorry.
hasselbladfan

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:51:39 AM »
ReplyReply

Raul,

This is a digital medium format lens. They showed it to me on the Phase One booth.

Georges
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:37:34 AM by hasselbladfan » Logged
Raul_82

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:15:42 PM »
ReplyReply

This is a digital medium format lens. They showed it to me on the Phase One booth.

But this is weird. All the info I have seen is about the introduction of a Phase One 28mm LS lens for medium format, not a perspective correction lens like the one on the report. This is important to me since i'm actually selling my Mamiya /Leaf system for the lack of PC lenses like this (among other things). Can you confirm that the lens you saw was the PC one and not the LS one.

Thanks!
simonstucki

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »
ReplyReply

this is a 35mm lens:

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pdf/foto/PC-TS_Super-Angulon_4.5_28_aspheric_e.pdf
hasselbladfan

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 02:04:17 AM »
ReplyReply

You are right, it must have been the LS. It was in a glass cabinet and they didn't take it out.
Rob C

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 05:26:43 AM »
ReplyReply

28mm... that's an interesting focal length; not too wide, not too long.  It could prove very useful and nice to have in the armoury if wanting only one such lens. I used to have a 35mm PC but found it always to be insufficiently wide.

Does anyone have any idea of when and how much?

Rob C

Raul_82

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 09:35:10 AM »
ReplyReply

this is a 35mm lens:

I just went to the Schneider/Kreuznak web site, and there i click on  pc-ts lenses link, again, there's only the 50,90,120mm. Can you say where did you get the pdf file?

hmm the plot thickens  ;)
Raul_82

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
ReplyReply

Ok, i just found a blog of some guy who irrationally hates mirrorless cameras, but he speaks about this lens an his incredible (4500 !!!) price
now I can rest knowing that is not in my price range  Tongue

http://www.laszlopusztai.net/2012/09/26/photokina-2012-odds-and-ends/
simonstucki

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Ok, i just found a blog of some guy who irrationally hates mirrorless cameras, but he speaks about this lens an his incredible (4500 !!!) price
now I can rest knowing that is not in my price range  Tongue

http://www.laszlopusztai.net/2012/09/26/photokina-2012-odds-and-ends/

I think I read about that lens first at photorumors.com, but the pdf I think I found through google. but here I found the schneider page with all the photokina 2012 news (apparently b+w also introduces a polarizer for smartphones and tablets, just what I was looking for Smiley here is the link:
http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/photokina/news_2012_e.htm

now for the price of the lens, I relly hope it is around $3000, but I hope even more it is very very high quality (36mp with ease). what I think it will be is very high quality (not as high as I was hoping for) and very expensive I fear it will be even above $4500 (read something about $6000 somewhere) if you look at prices for 28mm mf lenses and add the t/s mechanism (and the fact that the lens is made by schneider) $6000 might not be unrealistic unfortunately. I think $4500 would be really good if the lens is high very quality. even the 24mm lenes form nikon and canon are around $2500 and the mechanical quality doesn't even come close tho that from the schneider....
Raul_82

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
ReplyReply

Well it is a massive lens, so I guess it must have a big image circle to allow for the movements and to avoid corner softness, time will tell if it is the best wide angle TS lens ever made for 35mm. It is certainly the most expensive one.
JeffKohn

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »
ReplyReply

Well it is a massive lens, so I guess it must have a big image circle to allow for the movements and to avoid corner softness, time will tell if it is the best wide angle TS lens ever made for 35mm.
Since this is almost surely an adaptation of an existing MF lens design from their catalog, I wonder if anybody knows the equivalent MF lens and how it performs...

Their 50mm T/S was not nearly as good as its priced would indicate, although I hear the 90mm T/S is very good. I have high hopes for the 28mm, because I often find 24mm to be too wide. But I'll be waiting for reviews or a rental copy before I consider dropping that kinda of money on it.

It is certainly the most expensive one.
Actually I think the Hartblei 40mm is even more expensive.

Raul_82

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 07:20:20 AM »
ReplyReply

Since this is almost surely an adaptation of an existing MF lens design from their catalog, I wonder if anybody knows the equivalent MF lens and how it performs

They don't have any wide angle TS lens in their MF catalog, only a telephoto, these have been designed specially for 35mm. They do have a previous version of a 28mm TS lens (also for 35mm) but reports indicate that suffered from barrel distortion, so there was no reason to buy it, since the canon 24mm TS lens was actually cheaper and a better performer.

This new lens must be better though.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:22:58 AM by Raul_82 » Logged
JeffKohn

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 09:00:28 AM »
ReplyReply

They don't have any wide angle TS lens in their MF catalog, only a telephoto, these have been designed specially for 35mm. They do have a previous version of a 28mm TS lens (also for 35mm) but reports indicate that suffered from barrel distortion, so there was no reason to buy it, since the canon 24mm TS lens was actually cheaper and a better performer.
The existing MF lens wouldn't be T/S, just a regular lens. What they're doing is taking advantage of the larger image circle on MF lens designs to make 35mm T/S lenses.

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad