Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Eco Print Shield and Timeless  (Read 1859 times)
Didymus

« on: October 05, 2012, 02:33:24 PM »
ReplyReply

When I began stretching canvas I used Eco Print Shield. I am now using Timeless and I can't seem to get the hang of it.  I've been successful but it's hit and miss.  Sometimes I still see white after it has dried.  I'm assuming it is because, unlike Eco, Timeless only calls for one coat and no dilution.  I'm really trying to work it in a lot but maybe it's not enough.  Does anyone have any advice, experience or preference?

Thanks,
Tommy
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:37:30 PM by didymus » Logged
Stephen G

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 03:36:46 AM »
ReplyReply

Sometimes I get little white/lighter patches that remain after drying if I've used too much coating.

For larger prints I apply 2 coats: the first is worked in a lot and I don't care much if I see lines or bubbles. The second coat I apply more gently and smoothly, trying to avoid bubbles and roller lines. It is this second coat that is key: too much Timeless on the roller and I get the white patches. Hard to say how much is enough - kind of an experience thing.

For smaller prints I just use a saturated roller, work in the coating and then roll progressively lighter and lighter to smooth off the coating. Sometimes I use a bulb blower to pop unruly bubbles.
Didymus

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 02:34:38 PM »
ReplyReply

Very helpful, thank you.
douvidl

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 10:07:45 PM »
ReplyReply

I have found that Timeless is not a product that can be used on all canvas.  I would be careful.  I have ruined about 6' of canvas trying to roll timeless.  Now I only use  spray Print Shield, once before streching and once again after.  So far very satisfactory results.  Check back in 20 years for a report.
David
Didymus

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:58:50 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm using Lyve.
douvidl

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm told that Timeless was designed for Lyvle and can't be rolled on gloss canvas, only sprayed.  But sprayed and rolled on matt canvas.
Best of luck.
David
GaryBarker

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 03:45:55 PM »
ReplyReply

Tommy,
Just curious as to why you moved away from Eco Print Shield?
Gary

Gary Barker
DTG National Sales Manager
Didymus

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 04:26:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Since Epson switched to the exhibition canvas I decided to go with BC Lyve.  My gallon of Eco was out shortly after that and I decided to get Timeless to go along with the Lyve canvas.  I just thought it made sense to use the two Breathing Color products together.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:27:45 PM by didymus » Logged
Charles Wood

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:44:13 PM »
ReplyReply

FWIW, I've never used Timeless but I have used diluted Glamour II and the generic ready to spray coatings from Lexjet.  I use the prior version of the current Wagner 518080 HLVP sprayer. I tried rolling coatings on canvas early on and quickly gave it up.  Unless you're trying to create a textured surface, in my opinion, spraying is the only way to create a professional, uniform coating.

My technique is pretty simple. I place the printed canvas on a large flat surface, outdoors, and apply the spray coating back and forth in much the same way an autobody painter applies paint. I start the spray before reaching the edge of the canvas, to avoid drips, and overlap passes, all in one direction.  Instead of waiting for that coat to dry, I immediately start passes at 90 degrees to the first pass.  When I have finished the canvas has a slightly milky look that dries clear. If there are bubbles in the coating I use the pressure of the compressed air that comes out of the sprayer to level the bubbles. I spray at about 8-12 inches from the canvas surface. 

It's really pretty easy once you do it a few times and the results are predictable.

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad