Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Virginia Rail  (Read 1112 times)
Glenn Bartley

« on: October 16, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »
ReplyReply

It was nice to get this skulker out in the open for a few frames... What do you think? Do you like this wider view?

Glenn

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Shutter speed: 1/1000 sec
Aperture: 5.6
ISO: 400
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 12:14:32 PM »
ReplyReply

It's presumptuous of me to try to criticize one of your bird photos, but in this one I would be tempted to crop out about half of the out-of-focus greenery at the bottom, and then perhaps a bit off the left so the rectangle isn't too extreme.

But it is magnificent as usual.

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Colorado David

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »
ReplyReply

I like it the way it is and would have likely framed it that way myself under the same conditions.  I am neutral on the foreground, but the positioning of the bird in the frame is just right.  The way I read it is the bird just took a step and the framing allows some looking and action room in front.

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »
ReplyReply

Great image, as usual Glenn.
It is possible that Eric's suggestion may work nonetheless the current composition is excellent.

Regards

Tony Jay
Praki

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:45:50 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi Glenn:
I am a huge fan of your images. I find the grass stalks on the left and the three near the tail a little distracting and pull my attention away from the main subject. Maybe slightly darkening the background (or slightly lightening the main subject) would emphasize and project the bird a bit.
Thanks,
Praki.
james-greenland

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 06:06:16 AM »
ReplyReply

It's presumptuous of me to try to criticize one of your bird photos, but in this one I would be tempted to crop out about half of the out-of-focus greenery at the bottom, and then perhaps a bit off the left so the rectangle isn't too extreme.

But it is magnificent as usual.

I agree: whilst its good to have some of the OOF foreground, there is too much for me: Its just dead-space, where as if there were more at the top (only slightly mind you) then there would be more textural interest Smiley

Seoonmie

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Glen, although the issue of OOF foreground has been mentioned in all the previous posts, I'll go on about the same thing. I really like to see the surroundings in nature shots. I know a lot of people prefer clean, "school book" type of pictures, but for me the type of composition you chose really works well. I almost felt as if hiding in the reeds, that's just how close to the bird you take us. A great picture, in other words.
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad