Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: establishing hyperfocal distance?  (Read 683 times)
rolei

« on: November 09, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi everyone

I'm confused about establishing hyperfocal distance.

i have been regarding all those articles about "Hyper-focal focusing"and,  i just don't get this...will be very thankful if you could explain me simply.

Lets say i use i would like to make a landscape photo with an Aperture of f/11 with a lens Focal point of 28mm according to my chart the Hyper-focal distance would be around 1.8Meters/
now if I'm shooting a landscape shot, should i use the AF lock-Focus to lock it 1.8 meters away from me (which will be ground in the landscape) and then reframe the image with the composition.

when i recompose my image should i press the button again halfway? or all way down?(i m using 5dmark3)

Can i focus in the 1/3 of the image? (by using the 3x3 grid in the viewfinder in the 5dmark3)

Thank you for the help
deejjjaaaa

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »
ReplyReply

i have been regarding all those articles about "Hyper-focal focusing"... i would like to make a landscape photo

Iliah Borg recently reminded about a somewhat alternative method = http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/TIAOOFe.pdf
AlfSollund

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:05:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Sorry, I dont get your problem  Huh. You decide where you want to achieve focus from distance x to z. Then you calculate or use hyperfocal scale on lens to decide focus distance y between between x and z. Then you focus on y and take your photo. Of course only the objects exactly in distance y will be 100% in focus, but objects between x - z will be "close enough".

If the hyperfocal is calculated by old analog CoF(as most scales on lenses) I would recommend to use 2 aperture steps lower (example f/32 instead of f/11).

Hope this helps!

-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad