Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: upgrading to mountainLion?  (Read 997 times)
petermarrek
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 212



« on: November 12, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »
ReplyReply

I am currently running OSX 10.6.8 and printing on a Z3100 printer, are there any reasons upgrade to Mountain Lion or not? Peter
Logged
Schewe
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5532


WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 05:45:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Hope you don't run any PPC apps that require Rosetta...if you have an NEC display, you want to hold off till Apple fixes a display com issue. You might want to keep a 10.6.8 bootable drive around so you can dual boot until such time you are convinced that all your mission critical apps are compatible (or have ML upgrades). My laptop is running ML but my main production machines are not.
Logged
Conner999
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 466


« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 06:34:19 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm running 10.6.8 as well and printing Epson and I don't see anything in ML that compells me to violate my "If it ain't broke..." rule. I'll upgrade when I have no flipping choice and even then when I have LOTS of down-time to sort out any issues (printing, etc).

Logged
BJL
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5171


« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »
ReplyReply

I am now using a mix of Mac OS versions 10.6 and 10.7, and the main motivations I have seen for upgrading beyond OS 10.6.8 are:
1. Security: since about mid-2011, only OS versions 10.7 and above have been getting full security update support, including a recent security update of Safari. However, OS 10.6 did get a security fix for the much discussed FlashBack trojan a few months ago, and other browsers are still getting updates for OS 10.6.
2. iCloud integration seems lacking compared to the newer Mac OS versions.

Decide for yourself whether any of those is enough reason to spend $19.99 on the upgrade, and grapple with any software compatability issues.


I have a question though: if one needs to go beyond 10.6, for reasons like an employer policy of only supporting versions that get all security updates, is it helpful in some cases to go only to 10.7, in cases where 10.8 does not yet fully support your software? This is still possible with a phone order.
Logged
BernardLanguillier
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 8365



WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 02:40:50 AM »
ReplyReply

I am on 10.6.8 also and see nothing compeling in 10.8.

I already know that upgrading will kill my ability to use my Imacon scanner but the real concern is the time I may have to spend working out all the other unexpected issues.

The decision of Apple to increase the pace of their OS upgrades is IMHO not customer centric at all. At least not those customer doing creative work with their macs.

Unfortunately it seems that they managed to get MS moving in the same direction...

Cheers,
Bernard
Logged

A few images online here!
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad