Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Who's still shooting film?  (Read 17358 times)
uaiomex

« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »
ReplyReply

Same here. Photography started in France. Cinema started in France. Too many of the greatest photographers of all times are french. I know french are a little schizo. Hate english, yet they use it everyday instead of using french. (eg.: week-end) Hard to believe.  Huh
Eduardo

You surprise me; I bought French PHOTO for many, many years, and was of the conviction that France was very photo-aware. About France being the birthplace of photography: there's another school of thought that favours England...

;-)

Rob C
esox

« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2013, 04:26:13 AM »
ReplyReply

But that is changing, photography begins to be recgnized as a major art, not only dedicated to"pictures of the reality" like were Cartier Bresson, Clergue... That doesn't mean it is good news, I'm not very happy with conceptual art expression.

But that is not the subject of this perticular discussion...

Regarding english, before hate, there is always love... Don't forget englih are our best ennemies ! As well as french are english best ennemies. I think that britih hate more french peopole that the contrary.
Gel

Excuse me while I bust a cap

« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2013, 05:11:59 AM »
ReplyReply

Best enemies are the best ones to have.

c'est ne pas une pipe

Chris Giles Photography
esox

« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2013, 05:33:00 AM »
ReplyReply

Encore heureux...
Rob C

« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2013, 10:08:55 AM »
ReplyReply

But that is changing, photography begins to be recgnized as a major art, not only dedicated to"pictures of the reality" like were Cartier Bresson, Clergue... That doesn't mean it is good news, I'm not very happy with conceptual art expression.

But that is not the subject of this perticular discussion...

Regarding english, before hate, there is always love... Don't forget englih are our best ennemies ! As well as french are english best ennemies. I think that britih hate more french peopole that the contrary.

I can offer a thought: in my experience, francophobia stems from visits to Paris and expensive restaurants. People who try the countryside and the N and D roads have entirely different experiences.

Partly, the problem lies with the French: they can't speak French as well as British school teachers speak French. That causes communication problems. My granddaughter has just come back from a year in Paris 'studying' at some Law college; perhaps nobody will be able to understand her anymore.

;-)

Rob C

Hulyss

« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »
ReplyReply

I can offer a thought: in my experience, francophobia stems from visits to Paris and expensive restaurants. People who try the countryside and the N and D roads have entirely different experiences.

Partly, the problem lies with the French: they can't speak French as well as British school teachers speak French. That causes communication problems. My granddaughter has just come back from a year in Paris 'studying' at some Law college; perhaps nobody will be able to understand her anymore.

;-)

Rob C

Well... I'm French but my only regret on my death bed will be to be born in France. Seriously... I mean  C'mon !! this country is a fail (or soon to be) especially for young like me. To bad we can't immigrate like in the old days :/

I still shoot film, between  Tongue

Kind Regards - www.hulyssbowman.com
bcooter
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2013, 01:23:47 PM »
ReplyReply

I guess it depends on your expectations.

Paris, New York, LA, Tokyo they all have different attitudes towards foreigners working, though I find Paris the easiest city I work in.

I've stood in the middle of Boulevard Saint Germain and blocked traffic for 15 minutes and not one person honked.  Trying that in LA will get you arrested or flattened.

Recently we shot in the cafe Le Montebello with a crew of 20 and all they asked was for us to have dinner.  It's my favorite place in Paris and I love that restaurant and this time they had new ownership so they didn't know us and still let us work.

I have dozens of experience like this. 

Yes Parisians are abrupt but like any expensive, heavily populated city, a person working in a retail shop doesn't have time to talk for 15 minutes because rent is incredibly expensive and they have to get to work.

In fact if I'm in the lobby of the Hotel going over the days shoot, we are always surrounded by dozens of hotel staff just loving the images. 

I find being a photographer in Paris brings a lot of respect and professional photography in Paris, like the rest of the world has taken a big financial hit.

Other cities are good, all are different. 

NY easy, LA difficult, Milan complicated with a lot of words, Hong Kong amazing (like NY on acid), Tokyo restrictive but polite, Munich efficient though somewhat restrictive, Moscow a lot of hands out for money, a lot of people with those hands are wearing guns (though I love Moscow).

Though I'm not a fine art photographer, I was asked to place an image in a gallery auction that sold at what I thought was an astonishing number.

I love Paris and it's been good to me.

Well, except the cab drivers. 

IMO

BC
Rob C

« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2013, 01:41:37 PM »
ReplyReply

James, it's because it was shot on an M8!

I think so, but maybe I'm more confused than I thought.

;-)

Rob C

jsch

« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »
ReplyReply

Well... I'm French but my only regret on my death bed will be to be born in France. Seriously... I mean  C'mon !! this country is a fail (or soon to be) especially for young like me. To bad we can't immigrate like in the old days :/

I still shoot film, between  Tongue

Elsewhere the grass is always greener. I know France in two ways. 1st, I was young, I couldn't speak french, nobody treated me very nicely. 2nd, I'm older, I speak enough french to bring myself into trouble, everyone is very nice and welcoming. In the meantime some of my best friends are french. One studied philosophy at the Sorbonne, another one is a retired RAID officer – what a spectrum.

A few years back I did photographic documentation in Berlin, Toronto and Paris. In Berlin people were ignorant (I'm german btw), in Toronto they were uncooperative about permissions (when I had one it was the wrong one, they wanted permissions where you don't need one, one time I had a discussion that one of the three legs of my tripod was placed wrong).

In Paris people where interested and very nice: By-passers would make encouraging comments, take the longer way to not pass in front of my lens or ask whether they can pass. Two times my assistant and I got a "petit café" as a surprise for free, while we waited for the right light and we weren't even close to the entrance of the bars. Only close to the Av. de Flandre I was circled by strange people on bicycles at 11 a.m., so I packed my stuff quickly together and walked pretty fast away.

Try to produce "Make the girl dance - Baby, Baby, Baby" elsewhere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joez0QIVhko

My documentation was made digitally. At the moment I plan to do something with b&w film in France. I did first tests last summer in the south of France.

Best,
Johannes
Rob C

« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »
ReplyReply

Can't watch: it's been banned in 'my country'.

;-(

Rob C

jsch

« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2013, 05:01:24 PM »
ReplyReply

Can't watch: it's been banned in 'my country'.

;-(

Rob C

You can try with french subtitles:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x99ein_make-the-girl-dance-baby-baby-baby_music?search_algo=2#.UOdechxbSBQ
or with engl. subtitles, better video quality
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb80pk_baby-baby-baby-english-subtitles-ma_music?search_algo=2

Hope it works, if enjoy,
Johannes
uaiomex

« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2013, 07:11:03 PM »
ReplyReply

Now, can you link the director's cut?  Cheesy

jon404

« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »
ReplyReply

Still shooting film? I am. Not because I think film is better than digital -- as far as I can tell, this has become a meaningless argument. No. For me, it's the large old cameras -- like my Pentax 645N -- with their weight and easy-to-use controls. The Pentax is an ergonomic treat, with fine lenses that do justice to Kodak Ektar 100 and Portra 400 film.

But it isn't exactly film-OR-digital, is it? I use a small Olympus XZ-1 pocket camera for the histogram, and to preview monochrome. And, I get hi-res digital scans from North Coast Photo in Carlsbad, California... fast turnaround, great place. And then, there's Photoshop. So for me, it's the best of times, the best of both worlds.  Hopefully we'll have film around for 20 more years or so.

A priceless intangible -- each time I load a roll of 120 into the Pentax, I'm 10 years old again, with my brand-new Brownie Hawkeye on a Christmas morning. What a treat!
esox

« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2013, 05:28:05 AM »
ReplyReply

I fully agree with that !
Also, as I use mainly cameras in manual mode or sometimes aperture mode, I find those CanoNikon stuff very complicated... I also use my Olympus E620 for the histograms in difficult lightes. Otherwise it is Lunasix F
Pages: « 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad