Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Early Morning Steam  (Read 856 times)
Tom Frerichs
« on: December 16, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »
ReplyReply

I've heard rumors that car photographs may not be totally acceptable here, but I was wondering if trains fell into the same category.  (grin)
Josh-H

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »
ReplyReply

I like it. I do find myself wishing those two characters standing on the left behind the sign were a little more obvious as I think would help balance the shot. That said, there is a nice mystery about it. Very cartier-Bresson like.  Grin

wolfnowl

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 12:29:43 AM »
ReplyReply

I like it, but I find the contrast - especially in the steam -  to be way too high.  It looks like someone cut out white steam patterns and pasted them on a black background.

Mike.

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 01:49:04 AM »
ReplyReply

I love the mood of this image.
The blown highlights of the steam being caught by the early morning steam actually work and add to this mood.
A grand image.

Tony Jay
stamper

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 03:23:30 AM »
ReplyReply

I've heard rumors that car photographs may not be totally acceptable here, but I was wondering if trains fell into the same category.  (grin)

No. Only lighthouses are banned. Wink I like the high contrast processing because it gives a sort of grim reality. Well done. Smiley

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 03:42:38 AM »
ReplyReply

No. Only lighthouses are banned. Wink I like the high contrast processing because it gives a sort of grim reality. Well done. Smiley

AND cats!

Rob C

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 04:12:04 AM »
ReplyReply

Are we talking puddy tats or Bengal tigers?

Tony Jay
opgr

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 04:22:53 AM »
ReplyReply

There's always the site's artistic dustbin thread: "Without prejudice"

Regards,
Oscar Rysdyk
theimagingfactory
petermfiore

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 05:24:45 AM »
ReplyReply

Love the feel of this. Great image.

Peter

fike

Hiker Photographer

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
ReplyReply

I like this image. I like the subject and it's grittiness. I like the noise and how it contributes to the old-fashioned style. I like the contrast, but I do not like the large area of pure white in the smoke.  High contrast doesn't necessarily need to also mean you have large areas of clipped highlights. I would try to mask the smoke areas to see if a small amount of color or detail could be brought into that space.  The contrast in the rest of the image remains a really fabulous enhancement to the mood.  I would also consider a subtle tint to the B&W conversion but that is totally my prejudice.  

Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
marcshaffer.net
TrailPixie.net

I carry an M43 ILC, a couple of good lenses, and a tripod.
kikashi

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »
ReplyReply

I like this image. I like the subject and it's grittiness. I like the noise and how it contributes to the old-fashioned style. I like the contrast, but I do not like the large area of pure white in the smoke.  High contrast doesn't necessarily need to also mean you have large areas of clipped highlights. I would try to mask the smoke areas to see if a small amount of color or detail could be brought into that space.  The contrast in the rest of the image remains a really fabulous enhancement to the mood.  I would also consider a subtle tint to the B&W conversion but that is totally my prejudice.  

I agree with all of that, particularly the lack of appeal of the big white area in the middle.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad