Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Canon 100mm Macro lens Vs Hasselblad 80mm Lens  (Read 4879 times)
dreidesq

« on: December 19, 2012, 04:37:15 AM »
ReplyReply

I have had my Canon 5Dmkii for a year and thought I'd like to see what medium format was all about so I sold a Canon lens and bought a Hasselblad 500cm with an 80mm f2.8 lens. I've been shooting film with it and so far am happy with the 2 rolls of film I've put through it.
I bought a Zoerk adapter for my Canon so I could use the Hassey lens on the 5d just to see if it would work.

I saw a bauble on my christmas tree and though hmmm lets see if there is a difference between a 30 year old lens and a 4 year old lens on my Canon 5Dmkii.

Here are the results.
Both pictures were shot with the Canon 5dMkii at 2.8 at 4's, iso 100.
The Canon 100mm macro is straight through.
The Hassey is connected via an Zoerk adapter and 21mm extension tube.
No sharpening, no colour correcting, live view focussing.

Not much in it. Not bad for a 30 year old lens.

Please. The variables were that the bauble was just hanging loose and there was a possibility that my moving around the room moved the bauble slightly so the 4 second exposure could have been sharper.
The Hassey version was cropped to match the Canon one due to the difference in positioning.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:41:36 AM by dreidesq » Logged
bpepz

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 12:10:53 PM »
ReplyReply

very interesting! Something you should know though about the HC80mm is it is really not at its best closeup. At medium distances of more then a 3 or 4 feet it gets amazingly sharp even wide open, but anything close up I have consistently had bad luck with it closeup, which is why I had to switch to another lens for my food photography. I am actually really surprised it held up as well as it did considering that. Next time try it out focused further out and it should most likely be even better.
TMARK

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 12:15:29 PM »
ReplyReply

I love this lens on a 35mm dslr.  I use the 150 sonnar for lots of stuff.  The color rendition, contrast and smoothness of the files with the old CF lenses is better than most lenses, at least for portraits.
dreidesq

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
ReplyReply

I know what you mean about further distance detail and colour rendition I now favour this lens over all of my Canon ones.

Here is a stitched shot I took with the Hasselblad 80mm.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/redtree/works/9705390-the-first-snow-of-winter

I'm waiting for the 400 Ilford to come back from the lab.

Regards David
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:05:59 PM by dreidesq » Logged
henrikfoto

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:16:38 PM »
ReplyReply

Great shot, David!!!

Henrik

Gel

Excuse me while I bust a cap

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 04:24:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Just an observation, I wouldn't of done a 4 second exposure, any tiny vibration will give false sharpness info.

Chris Giles Photography
K.C.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 09:52:41 PM »
ReplyReply

You do realize that the C/CF/ CFi lenses were all optimized for infinity focus. The 120 Macro was a significantly different lens formula.

And don't forget that you're shooting through the sweet spot of the lens. The corners would be another story.
dreidesq

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 11:12:23 PM »
ReplyReply

@ Henrikfoto - thank you very much. Thank you for the lovely comment.

@ Gel - Care to venture what you would have done?

@ K.C. - I didn't (couldn't) purchase a Hasselblad Makro. Do you have one for sale/loan? Arn't they expensive?
I've seen them go on eBay for 000's
Baring in mind I sold one Canon lens to fund the Hasselblad Camera/Lens/Adapter/extension tube purchase.
I just wanted to see what was possible with what I had. I'm only an Amateur and have had the Hasselblad camera and lens set up for approximately 1 month. Just finding my feet with it.

Regards
David
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:17:24 PM by dreidesq » Logged
ErikKaffehr

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

I plan for a similar test, using an arax adapter on a Sonnar 150/4. Sonnar has arrived but I still wait for the adapter.

Regarding macro lens, it would probably be a 120/4 Macro Planar. There seems to be some available at Tradera (swedish ebay) at around 600-700 $US. If the Sonnar experiment turns out well I might try a planar, too.

MTF curves for the 120/4 Macro at infinity are, well, ugly. They improve greatly at close up like 1:5. Regardless MTF curves it seems people love those lenses.

My mainninterest is to find out if there is a Zeiss look, or if that is a myth.

Best regards,

Erik

@ Henrikfoto - thank you very much. Thank you for the lovely comment.

@ K.C. - I didn't (couldn't) purchase a Hasselblad Makro. Do you have one for sale/loan? Arn't they expensive?
I've seen them go on eBay for 000's
Baring in mind I sold one Canon lens to fund the Hasselblad Camera/Lens/Adapter/extension tube purchase.
I just wanted to see what was possible with what I had. I'm only an Amateur and have had the Hasselblad camera and lens set up for approximately 1 month. Just finding my feet with it.

Regards
David

dreidesq

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 01:44:25 AM »
ReplyReply

Here is a comparison example of the 150mm Sonner vs Canon 100mm Macro at F4 4s.

Apart from the slightly darker more contrasty Canon shot the Hasselblad is slightly better with the DOF.

Regards
David
ced

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 03:28:36 AM »
ReplyReply

David thanks for the post.  The Bokeh looks nicer on the 150 in comparison to the 80, how many blades in the 150?
To make the comparison better the 150 shot needs to be re toned bringing the shadows closer to the 80's density.
JohnCox123
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 03:45:41 AM »
ReplyReply

I actually hadn't considered getting an adapter for my 80 to use for macro work despite having everything else needed. This is interesting.
Do you think the Bokeh would look less swirly on the 80 if it was stopped down to f5.6 or 8?
Gel

Excuse me while I bust a cap

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 03:57:53 AM »
ReplyReply

Regards
David

Considering I commented on the shutter speed being slow, I would of understandably shot something that didn't require such a slow speed

Part of facing of two lenses is to show sharpness, not just colour rendition etc. The slightest of movements, a disturbance in the air would of skewed the resulting image.

Chris Giles Photography
FredBGG

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 03:59:16 AM »
ReplyReply

I've owned all three lenses.
The Canon has better contrast than the two Hasselblad lenses as well as better Bokeh.
The Hasselblad 80mm 2.8 is very nice, the 150 not quite as nice. My preference was with the 180mm and 250mm Hasselblad lenses over the 150mm.

However a two frame stitch with the Hasselblad 80mm will produce very nice results
especially with a shift adapter so you don't move the lens.

It is quite amazing how good the old MF lenses are.

Here is a comparison between a Hasselblad V lens and the newer Hasselblad H lens.

I did a test comparing the Fuji gx680 250mm with the Canon 200mm 2.8L both at 5.6.
The Fuji was on par with the Canon when shooting to the Canon 5D II sensor @ 5.6

dreidesq

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 04:00:30 AM »
ReplyReply

@ ced - Your welcome. Just checked what I have and 50 80 150 and 250 all have 5 blades, unless I'm counting them wrong.

@ johncox123 - I've done a range of f-stops with the Canon vs Hasselblad 80 below. It's at 400iso. It goes from f2.8 - f22

The difference in colour is the ambient light has change because the sun has come up and the tree is near the window.

The colour temperature is set the same on all shots and then sync'd.
What I'm seeing in real life to what has been shot the colour of the bauble with the Hassey lens is better. It's a silver bauble.

Regards
David
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:11:18 AM by dreidesq » Logged
TMARK

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 08:50:02 AM »
ReplyReply

I've owned all three lenses.
The Canon has better contrast than the two Hasselblad lenses as well as better Bokeh.
The Hasselblad 80mm 2.8 is very nice, the 150 not quite as nice. My preference was with the 180mm and 250mm Hasselblad lenses over the 150mm.

However a two frame stitch with the Hasselblad 80mm will produce very nice results
especially with a shift adapter so you don't move the lens.

It is quite amazing how good the old MF lenses are.

Here is a comparison between a Hasselblad V lens and the newer Hasselblad H lens.

I did a test comparing the Fuji gx680 250mm with the Canon 200mm 2.8L both at 5.6.
The Fuji was on par with the Canon when shooting to the Canon 5D II sensor @ 5.6

Fred, I really like the 150.  I like the OOF rendering and contrast on both film and digital.  It has a smoothness to the rendering that I really life.  It does give you pentagons, but I actually like the pentagons sometimes.  I think it breaks the spell of a photo, shows it was man made, which can be nice.

JohnCox123
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 09:13:51 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm defiantly getting an adapter for my hassy lenses, I really like f4 and I'm surprised at what extension tubes and a good lens can do.
qwz

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 12:29:16 PM »
ReplyReply

I think main advantage of using MF lens on 135 format bodies is ability to tilt and shift.
Tilt is essential for product shots and other shallow DOF tasks (which about sharpness no bokeh).
Rob C

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
ReplyReply

Fred, I really like the 150.  I like the OOF rendering and contrast on both film and digital.  It has a smoothness to the rendering that I really life.  It does give you pentagons, but I actually like the pentagons sometimes.  I think it breaks the spell of a photo, shows it was man made, which can be nice.

My 150mm was the old silver one - new when I bought it; it was fine in the studio but didn't handle backlighting or outdoors flare situations very happily. I bought it to replace my 180mm Mamiya on a Mamiya C-something TLR body, which I hated, but ran alongside the 500 C; however, the lens was lovely enough and I would have bought a 180 Sonnar instead of the 150mm had they existed in the day.

Fond memories.

Rob C

FredBGG

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »
ReplyReply

I think main advantage of using MF lens on 135 format bodies is ability to tilt and shift.
Tilt is essential for product shots and other shallow DOF tasks (which about sharpness no bokeh).

And with live view you can get a lot of precision out of a tilt shift setup.

I find that tilt shift in a really valuable tool to have. It is hugely overlooked by some pro systems today.

I'm making a nifty Tilt shift adapter to use my Fuji 680 lenses on the D800.

I'm taking the front end of a Fuji gx680 and making a bellows and base to use it with the D800

It will lets me use tilt and shift in all directions

Here is a Fuji gx680 with a lens on an tilted to give a better idea...

I'll be able to use my Fuji gx680 lenses from 50mm to 300mm with tilt and shift.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:40:06 PM by FredBGG » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad