So my questions are :
1) is an older i1 photo pro a better solution than a munki for <$600?
2) what software do I need to do printer profiling?
3) are there licensing issues I need to be aware of?
4) are there os 10.7 and 10.8 issues?
5)does the photo pro usually come w the color checker?
6)any other considerations I'm missing?
1. The older i1Photo may be a bit easier to use in scan mode, you 'll have more options in terms of the targets used depending on the software. What is nice is many products, including the new i1P from X-rite of course, support this device. ColorMunki is kind of locked to that software. So you will have more options with the i1Pro.
2. What comes with it? The kit comes hardware+some software, at the very least RGB.
3. Based on question 2 & 3 I'd ask where's this coming from and are you getting the license to the software or is someone just trying to sell you the hardware alone?