I can't answer your main question because I am still on 10.6.8. and using an Epson 4900.
However, I noticed in your post - if I understand it correctly - mention of needing to do an Epson driver upgrade for the purposes of SilverFast 8. I don't understand why that should be the case. As far as I know, SilverFast 8 has nothing to do with the Epson driver - unless perhaps you are trying to use PrinTao. Grateful if you could clarify.
And Happy New Year to you too.
(And, BTW, economic conditions could well be worse than they were in 2012. It depends on so many uncertain variables...........let's not go there on New Year's Eve on a photography forum.........) Let us enjoy what is good while it lasts!
Thanks for the reply, and yes, I should have clarified my reference to Silverfast. As you are probably aware, the Apple Epson Printer Update also updates many scanner drivers as they relate to the "Image Capture" app in OS X. In Lion, only version 8 of Silverfast Ai Studio will work with the V750, so of course I had to upgrade. However, in order for v.8 to work, Apple's Image Capture had to be updated to the latest version as well. That was an update I was not prepared to do initially, due to the reports of quite a few people on this and another forum of issues with the large format printers after the Apple/Epson Update. I did a lot of research and forum surfing and waited as long as I could before actually taking the plunge and applying the latest Apple Epson Printer/Scanner Update, knowing that I could boot up on one of my clone drives and restore back to MacHD if necessary. I finally found some information to the effect that if one is running v.9.x of the printer driver there should be no problem, since the Apple Update was also v.9. The theory was that the v.9 Apple Update was creating a conflict with earlier printer driver versions, which certainly seemed plausible. All of this was covered during the summer and early autumn months on this and other forums. I eventually did apply the Apple Update and all was well in printerland. So my question this time was to determine if anyone is having issues/conflicts with the latest Apple Epson Printer Update and the Epson Large Format Printers. I'll have to perhaps check the update version and also whether there has been a recent Epson update for the 9900 driver. If the two update versions coincide I imagine there should be no problems.
Well Mark, as usual I seem to have become rather wordy in my attempt at an explanation, but I do hope I have been able to clarify the situation and the reason for my initial question. Thanks again for the reply and stumbling through my initial post, confusing as it was.