Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Camera Straps  (Read 4643 times)
DaveL

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 08:21:53 AM »
ReplyReply

Hello,

If you are feed up as much as I have with camera straps you might want to try what I did.

I found this company in the US called Berkeley Point who sell these very well made spring clips.

http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/hardware/stainless_clips.html

The clip I use for my Fuji X10 is the "Micro" and the clip for my Nikon D800E and D800 is the "Nano"

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon!  I can find quite a few uses for those.

I now use a Wapiti strap. I used a Domke gripper strap for many years. Bought a Black Rapid strap,l and used it until recently on my d300s. However, I don't like their modified carabiner. Much happier with the Wapiti strap.

jrsforums

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 09:03:32 AM »
ReplyReply

I've never trusted quick release thingies holding my camera (if they can, they will), which rules out OpTech and many other straps of that type.  For years I have been using Domke straps without the metal swivels (I also don't like anything metal close to my camera... if it can hit a lens, it will... which has kept me from using the otherwise remarkable original Domke bags: flying metal fasteners).  The woven-in rubber strips on the strap have always worked well for me, even on slick nylon jackets, the strap is very flexible, comfortable on my neck and, if need be, wraps easily around my wrist when I want to carry the camera that way.

I have tried most of the straps over he years, including op/tech, upstrap, etc.  Loved 'em, but my eventual all had some problems.  one problem with all of them was bulk, particularly when putting back in bag.

I am now using the Domke straps for a number of reasons.  The rubber strips are really amazing.  When tight on your clothing they do not move at all.  A little shrug to loosen and you can zip the strap around to get the camera where you want.

The really big reason for going with the Domke is that I can make it any length I want.  Most straps are, for me too short.  I want my camera down a round my waist...either off the should or, quite often, bandolier style, across my body.  Bandolier style is better for long carries, keeps to snug to body, and gets most of the weight and torque on the legs rather than ones back.  As mentioned above, a quick shrug and the camera is free to me moved around, similar to black rapid, but with strap sliding around.

It uses standard 3/8" webbing, that can easily be obtain on the Internet (try dog sites sites is also for leads).  The webbing on the Domke is no sewn to the "pad", so can easily be replaced...and made any length.

I like the 1.5" version, which I think only comes with the swivel clip.  The swivel clip is up by pad.  Since you are "rewebbing", if you don't trust the swivel you can easily remove it. 

I personally like the swivel clip, but want it close to the camera, not the pad, so that, on a tripod, when unclipped there are no straps dangling.  To attach to the camera, I use the Op/Tech Utility Loop connector http://optechusa.com/system-connectors/utility-loop.html.

John

John
SunnyUK

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 05:56:19 AM »
ReplyReply

I've been using an R-strap for years on my D700. Always felt comfortable, but it was a bit of a pain that it occupied the tripod screw hole, making it more cumbersome to switch between hand-held and tripod-held.

For my D800 I got an OpTech bandolier-style strap which comes with two of the utility connectors John mentions. I've got them attached to my L-plate, so that I can now put the camera on a tripod with the strap still attached. I like that from a safety-perspective, and am happy with the solution.
jrsforums

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 08:04:30 AM »
ReplyReply

I've been using an R-strap for years on my D700. Always felt comfortable, but it was a bit of a pain that it occupied the tripod screw hole, making it more cumbersome to switch between hand-held and tripod-held.

For my D800 I got an OpTech bandolier-style strap which comes with two of the utility connectors John mentions. I've got them attached to my L-plate, so that I can now put the camera on a tripod with the strap still attached. I like that from a safety-perspective, and am happy with the solution.

I had not wanted to muddy up the earlier post with too much info, but I also attach via the L-plate.  Also helps when shooting in portrait mode to get strap out of the way.

John

John
NancyP

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
ReplyReply

Cotton Carrier vest is great for hiking, as it stows your camera so that your hands are free and camera doesn't swing. Optech neoprene neck strap is less itchy to me than the original Canon strap.
Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »
ReplyReply

Depending on what you are doing, the camera strap SYSTEM from Vulture Camera works could be very good for you, I have a presentation of it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFic4hGZtFk one of my favorite features, aside from its modularity is that it also has that foot / monopod which could also be excellent depending on what kind of work you do.

www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner
GeraldB

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 07:26:29 PM »
ReplyReply

I've been very happy with a Luma Loop from Luma Labs which I've had for a couple of years. Unfortunately Black Rapid has killed their product with a patent application years after Luma loop was out. Doh!
http://www.petapixel.com/2011/11/15/luma-loop-camera-strap-killed-off-after-patent-awarded-to-black-rapid/

richarddd

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 03:09:20 PM »
ReplyReply

I tried an Upstrap and went right back to the OpTech. Perhaps they have changed the material since I had one. Mine was stiff as a board and therefore uncomfortable.
Are others experiencing this problem with the upstrap?

Pages: « 1 [2]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad