Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 [3]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Jessops camera chain in administration  (Read 6079 times)
KLaban

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 02:32:48 PM »
ReplyReply

Rob, I take it you're talking about used prices?

Used 500 series camera prices from reputable dealers tend to be much higher than those of private sales, but don't forget the prices are always negotiable. If I were thinking of buying used I'd pay the premium, get the guarantee but do a deal. One alternative would be to buy from a trusted seller here on LuLa. But the fact is I'd buy new, still a bargain when compared to medium format digital cameras!

Just out of interest, how did you anticipate using it?

KLaban

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 02:39:21 PM »
ReplyReply

It's sad the shops are closing, but if they can't offer the public the product, services and prices they want then the outcome is inevitable. The world doesn't owe anyone a living.

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Rob, I take it you're talking about used prices?

Used 500 series camera prices from reputable dealers tend to be much higher than those of private sales, but don't forget the prices are always negotiable. If I were thinking of buying used I'd pay the premium, get the guarantee but do a deal. One alternative would be to buy from a trusted seller here on LuLa. But the fact is I'd buy new, still a bargain when compared to medium format digital cameras!

Just out of interest, how did you anticipate using it?

Yes, used; is there still new 500 Series stuff being made? I thought the factory had been folded up and put away in a drawer. But then, I'd imagined the advent of the F4 meant the death of the F3, and it was only by accident I discovered that I could dump the F4 and buy a brand new F3; they'd just stopped advertising it at the time!

How to use the 500? Probably with the 50mm and the via a 750 scanner... even that would be pushing my little boat out a helluva lot! What to shoot? I think I'd perhaps try to find myself some sort of landscape genre and/or 'found' as in my cellpix; I've pretty much realised that birds are out unless I move and find some commercial outlet and I don't know if it's on the cards to do that. Could be a wise thing tax-wise for the kids, moving,  but who knows how long it could take in this cliimate, and I'm alive now. Oh - I still love square!

Just watched the start of the new series on BBC HD on Italy... art and food; beautiful stuff for both senses - I could murder some Parma ham right now! Cream crackers, ham and a little glass of chilled white. Why do I do this to myself? It's in the nature of the beast is why.

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:49:40 PM by Rob C » Logged

stamper

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 03:24:35 AM »
ReplyReply

Visited the two Jessops stores in Glasgow today. Busy. A women asked  a salesperson which stores are closing? None was the reply. The press are stirring things up! Visited Curry's who sell cameras and very little in store. The only independent left - the Merchant city, formerly Quiggs, - had second hand stock, which is it's prime business but little new stock. All other independents - as far as I know - gone.
According to the BBC News less than half an hour ago all Jessops stores have shut tonight for good.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20992125

Not a good start to the new year for a lot of people who worked there then Sad

It looks as if the salesperson was putting on a brave face or hadn't been informed or telling fibs. The conservation took place about 13.00 hrs. He was vehement in delivering his statement.  Sad

KLaban

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 03:44:19 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Rob, yes, the 503CW is still being sold and can be bought for less than 2,000 GBP.

Given our previous conversations my concerns would be that by comparison the V series is going to make your D700 feel like a comfortable carry-around. The price of film and availability of processing on your island could also be an issue. Then there's the ongoing question, are cameras the answer? But hey, they are lovely film cameras.

Italy Unpacked, great visuals and I particularly like the contributions from Giorgio Locatelli, but for me the pairing with Andrew Graham-Dixon seems a tad contrived. But certainly worth watching.  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:37:00 AM by KLaban » Logged

Jim Pascoe

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2013, 07:03:47 AM »
ReplyReply

Cheaper, yes. Better? Not necessarily.

Sorry Slobodan - that was meant to be an ironic post! Smiley  Not put across very well though.  I do believe competition is a good thing in general, but it does often mean the unthinking mass market takes over and it is only when something that is good has gone that it gets noticed.  For instance I belong to a local camera club and often get asked advice on buying cameras.  I usually direct them to one of the two branches of the London Camera Exchange in Southampton.  Between them they cover most types of photography and have very good staff - and their prices are very keen.  Quite a number of people will go there, look at the cameras and then order online because they can save £20 or so.  Where is the sense in that, especially when shops are facing so much pressure and if they all go we will not be able to easily compare products.  To me, one of the most important aspects of a new camera or lens is how it feels and handles and that cannot be done online.

Jim
Rob C

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2013, 10:52:37 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Rob, yes, the 503CW is still being sold and can be bought for less than 2,000 GBP.

Given our previous conversations my concerns would be that by comparison the V series is going to make your D700 feel like a comfortable carry-around. The price of film and availability of processing on your island could also be an issue. Then there's the ongoing question, are cameras the answer? But hey, they are lovely film cameras.

Italy Unpacked, great visuals and I particularly like the contributions from Giorgio Locatelli, but for me the pairing with Andrew Graham-Dixon seems a tad contrived. But certainly worth watching.  

Hi Keith,

I had forgotten about the film/E6 situation. It’s recently become worse, too, because my wholesaler closed down for those same reasons: not enough papers, films and chemicals sold anymore in volumes to make the branch viable. Regarding chemistry: yes, it would have to be Barcelona for processing colour (but for how long even there?)… b/w I’d again do here at home. But regardless, with the wholesaler off the island, where would I be able to buy film now, and at what price?

The more I dwell on it, the more reasons for lifting my tent and going back to Britain.

Yes, regarding ‘previous conversations’ you have touched the core issue here, and I know it only too well, however much I try to enthuse myself out of it with cheaper (read viable) genre alternatives.

At least I made a very pleasant pasta for lunch! Not home-rolled pasta, but Italian (brand) nonetheless with lots of local peppers and garlic. (At least, I think they are local, but nowadays you seem to be able to get everything all year round, and that can’t be right.) Maybe that garlic’s got something to do with the model famine. Sunny enough to eat it out on the terrace, but now, at a quarter to six, it’s freezing cold. No, not the pasta, that vanished hours ago.

Ciao –

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:55:09 AM by Rob C » Logged

Pages: « 1 2 [3]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad