Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Has anyone received their Hasselblad H5D?  (Read 19966 times)
Nick-T

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 02:21:48 PM »
ReplyReply

I agree that these are pretty incremental (ie not dramatic) upgrades but it's not true to say that they are just firmware updates.

Nick-T

eronald

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 02:38:31 PM »
ReplyReply

I agree that these are pretty incremental (ie not dramatic) upgrades but it's not true to say that they are just firmware updates.

Nick-T

I'm not saying they are *all* just firmware updates. I am saying that most of the photographers I know would wish they had just knocked 30% off the price and done what they could with firmware updates to extend the current model life.

Edmund
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:41:38 PM by eronald » Logged
jduncan

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 07:09:06 PM »
ReplyReply

You do make a valid point on all but the weather sealing. That would be a tough firmware update IMHO.

Ed

Not sure that is the only one. Maybe True Focus II needs a new giro or sensor. In the other hand I don't know how constraint the processors on the H4D machines are.
I am still not surprised for what they achieved, I was not waiting for anything revolutionary. My surprise is just: No H5D-80 or Dalsa Multi Shoot and the pricing that looks off.
 Let see how the cameras behave in terms of handling once in the hands of people.

Best regards,

J. Duncan

english is not my first language, an I know is shows
Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »
ReplyReply

Well they had to take on in the ass from Sony to get those new sensors for the H5D, which is why it's been redesigned in a lot of key places ready for CMOS and ISO 12800 in 18 months.

As far as I know it is the same sensor as the H4D

jduncan

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
ReplyReply

By sensor(s) I mean like gyroscopes and accelerometers, not the light capturing sensors.  I am not sure if they are the same or not.

Best regards,

James

Ed Foster, Jr.

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 08:47:48 PM »
ReplyReply

Let see how the cameras behave in terms of handling once in the hands of people.

Of course, that's fair as was Nick-T's about the other items via firmware upgrade. I just got a kick out of eronald's comment with respect to weather sealing via the firmware upgrade.

Often times there is too much hypothesizing about equipment that has not been released yet as well as commenting from those that don't even own or use the gear.

IMHO, the H4D is fine piece of equipment, but for myself, I'm not sure the upgrade for the trade-up price is necessary - for me. If I were purchasing my first or another, obviously that would be the way to go. However, once released I might whistle a different tune.

Ed

Ed Foster, Jr.
www.edfoster.net
Gel

Excuse me while I bust a cap

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 03:47:43 AM »
ReplyReply

Yes, it does right now.

Hasselblad have several sensor prototypes in testing with the approved ones being released in 18 months.

Commercially it's a sound thing to do as it will bring another upgrade cycle. 18+ months after that the H6 should arrive.

Chris Giles Photography
KLaban

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 06:45:01 AM »
ReplyReply

Hasselblad have several sensor prototypes in testing with the approved ones being released in 18 months.

Commercially it's a sound thing to do as it will bring another upgrade cycle. 18+ months after that the H6 should arrive.

Just to be clear, you say they will be releasing new sensors in 18 months and putting them in H5D cameras? Will these be CMOS? And in 3 years time they'll release the H6D? And you've been privy to this information from Victor Hasselblad AB?

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 06:46:40 AM »
ReplyReply

Just to be clear, you say they will be releasing new sensors in 18 months and putting them in H5D cameras? Will these be CMOS? And in 3 years time they'll release the H6D? And you've been privy to this information from Victor Hasselblad AB?

+1

Gel

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 09:53:30 AM »
ReplyReply

From Hasselblad themselves, R+D are testing new prototype sensors for the H5D. The H5D was specifically designed to take these 'new types of sensors'.

I'm assuming 'new types' means CMOS, at worst, true full sized sensors.

2007 H3DII
2009 H4D
2013 H5D
logically.... 2016/17 H6D

You can conclude with reasonable certainty that halfway through the product cycle they will release these new sensors priming it for the next Gen H6

Factually there is a new type of sensor(s) coming in 18 months, I've had this info from two different techs at Hasselblad. Everything else is conjecture but it fits Hasselblads revision cycle.
The sensors aren't specifically from Sony, there are multiple companies putting their designs forward for testing. No names were given.

Chris Giles Photography
KLaban

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 10:01:20 AM »
ReplyReply

From Hasselblad themselves, R+D are testing new prototype sensors for the H5D. The H5D was specifically designed to take these 'new types of sensors'.

Is there a link to this information or did Hasselblad choose to share this with you alone?

Factually there is a new type of sensor(s) coming in 18 months, I've had this info from two different techs at Hasselblad.

Do Hasselblad know their techs are giving you this information? Do the techs know you're giving us this information? If so is it available for all to see?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:11:50 AM by KLaban » Logged

Gel

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »
ReplyReply

Is there a link to this information or did Hasselblad choose to share this with you alone?

Do Hasselblad know their techs are giving you this information? Do the techs know you're giving us this information? If so is it available for all to see?

You don't have to believe me KLaban, it doesn't bother me really Smiley

Just relaying what I was told and my thoughts based on that.
They certainly didn't say, 'Shhhh don't tell anyone but...' however I wouldn't expect a press release anytime soon either.

Although the first technician did give me the look that people sometimes do when they realized they perhaps shouldn't of said anything.

Believe it or don't believe it. I've no incentive to post BS on here.

Edit: The first guy did say something 'groundbreaking' and completely new was coming.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:37:55 AM by Gel » Logged

Chris Giles Photography
KLaban

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 11:42:25 AM »
ReplyReply

Believe it or don't believe it. I've no incentive to post BS on here.

What I don't believe is that Hasselblad or their techs choose to share sensitive information with me, you, the public in general or their competitors.

Gel

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »
ReplyReply

'Factually' they said something groundbreaking was coming in 18 months and that several prototype sensors are in the works of which the H5D was designed specifically to use.

This is no different from assuming Apple has something new and exciting in development and are working with a new tech company for a new feature. It stands to reason that most companies have something on the horizon to drive sales, just with Hasselblad it's easier to speculate with more certainty. There's only so many doors they can go through.

Chris Giles Photography
FredBGG

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 12:25:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Edit: The first guy did say something 'groundbreaking' and completely new was coming.

Isn't that what they said about the Lunar?...... Just kidding...
Gel

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 12:51:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Isn't that what they said about the Lunar?...... Just kidding...

No that was unbelievable Fred Cheesy

Chris Giles Photography
KLaban

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 01:04:04 PM »
ReplyReply

'Factually' they said something groundbreaking was coming in 18 months and that several prototype sensors are in the works of which the H5D was designed specifically to use.

I'm aware there are those who suspect there will be an introduction of a CMOS MF sensor in the future and those who suspect it's made all the more likely with a collaboration with Sony. I hope they're right. Time will tell.

I don't doubt there are developments in the pipeline. What I do doubt is that Hasselblad or their techs would give any specific information on those developments unless it was just a throw-away remark to detract from the Lunar or to maintain interest.

BobDavid

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Nice to see you back on the board, Edmund. I was afraid you had gotten banned.
eronald

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 06:56:03 PM »
ReplyReply

Nice to see you back on the board, Edmund. I was afraid you had gotten banned.

Aww, now that is a backhanded compliment!

Edmund
jduncan

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »
ReplyReply

Lol.

Trust me when I say that Steve is a bit better informed about all things Hasselblad than b+h.

Specialized shops like Steve's and mine are in touch with the manufacturer nearly every day.

B+H probably received an estimate when the product was first posted and hasn't changed it since then and probably won't change it until they receive notification that theirs has been shipped or until someone at hassy contacts them to ask them to change the eta.

Hasselblad has not updated http://www.hasselblad.com to reflect the shipping of the H5D. The product menu item still lists only the h4d.

January have just pass by. Has someone get  theirs?  How responsive is it?
are the cameras really shipping to the public now?

Best regards

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad