Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Office / Studio Chair  (Read 5106 times)
Josh-H

« on: February 11, 2013, 08:39:52 PM »
ReplyReply

I am looking for a new office chair for my studio and am really struggling to find anything decent. All the office works and home depot stores only carry cheap junk that I really find far from comfortable.

Doesnt have to be leather or super expensive - just comfortable for long periods of time in the saddle.  Grin

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

kencameron

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:44:17 PM »
ReplyReply

I went to my local charity store where I was able to try a large selection of used chairs until I found one that suited me and seemed well-made. $10 outlay.

Schewe

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:00:58 PM »
ReplyReply

Doesnt have to be leather or super expensive - just comfortable for long periods of time in the saddle.  Grin

Well, really good won't be cheap...not sure if you can get these chairs in your neck of the woods, but this is what I use (for about 8 years now). Aeron chair by Herman Miller. The nice thing is they offer three sizes (I have the large frame of course).
Schewe

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:04:36 PM »
ReplyReply

Actually, they are available in AU. Aeron chair  in AU.
Josh-H

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:32:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks Jeff, I was looking at those about an hour ago (found an old thread on LULA about them) and just placed an order for one now.  Grin

Jim Pascoe

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 02:36:02 AM »
ReplyReply

About five years ago my stepson gave me his old office chair - it had been bought for him years earlier because he had a back problem.  It is the comfiest chair for long-term sitting I have ever used.  A couple of years ago I was browsing online and happened to see the exact same chair I was using, and only then did I realise the cost of it!  Yes, it is the Aeron chair.  I can tell you - it would be worth every penny.  Fortunately mine came free!

Jim
kikashi

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 02:45:19 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks Jeff, I was looking at those about an hour ago (found an old thread on LULA about them) and just placed an order for one now.  Grin

I think you'll like it, Josh. Recommending one was my first thought. I've had one for about 6 years now and I'm very happy with it. Even the service is good: the foam pad under the front of the seat came loose recently and the shop immediately replaced not the foam but the whole seat, free of charge. They cost rather more than $10 but they're worth it.

Jeremy
Ellis Vener

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 10:17:57 AM »
ReplyReply

Another vote for the Herman Miller Aeron - just make sure you get the right size (A,B or C)  for your weight. If you are over 200 you probably want a "C".

Ellis Vener
http://www.ellisvener.com
Creating photographs for advertising, corporate and industrial clients since 1984.
Sheldon N

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 10:21:24 AM »
ReplyReply

Another happy Aeron user here.

Josh-H

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
ReplyReply

Well that was fast... chair was just delivered!

Time will tell... but so far feels a significant improvement over my old chair (went with a size B and it feels spot on). Grin

francois

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 03:57:22 AM »
ReplyReply

Another happy Aeron user here.

And another one here!

Francois
tived

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 04:57:59 AM »
ReplyReply

Herman Miller Embody
PeterAit

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 11:02:42 AM »
ReplyReply

I think highly of the Aeron chairs, I have one of their chairs and also a stool that I use at a drafting table. Not cheap, to be sure, and perhaps a bit hyped, bit I sit many hours a day and have never regretted spending the $$. Also, check for a Healthy Back store near you, they carry a variety of high-end chairs.

Peter
"Photographic technique is a means to an end, never the end itself."
View my photos at http://www.peteraitken.com
tived

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Well, I had a back injury last year and went straight out and bought my Embody chair, I was really lucky to get a floor demo model for 20% of the original price - I had been prepared to pay full price.

But I can now despite my injury still sit and work for hours and that makes me really happy.

Hype ? No, not in my opinion - you get what you pay for

Here in Australia (WA), it's similar price to an Arca Swiss Cube or a new Canon 24-7mm L Mk II

Josh, I hope you will enjoy your chair and that it will make you comfortable for years to come

Henrik
Chris_Brown

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 05:06:11 PM »
ReplyReply

After 15 years in an "office" chair, I switched to this and feel great after a 10-hour retouch session.

~ CB
tived

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 05:24:44 PM »
ReplyReply

The fit ball is not silly at all, it will also help strengthen your core muscles in your lower back and it's very economical

Great choice Chris
Sharon Van Lieu

Nantucket Landscape and Architectural Photographer

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 08:28:24 AM »
ReplyReply

After 15 years in an "office" chair, I switched to this and feel great after a 10-hour retouch session.

Chris how much do you know which size to order? That one seems high - how much do you sink in when you sit on it?

Sharon

Chris_Brown

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 12:40:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Chris how much do you know which size to order? That one seems high - how much do you sink in when you sit on it?

Sharon–

They are listed according to diameter, and recommended according to the height of the user. I use the "Stayball", which has sand in it. It doesn't roll away, and the sand is designed for certain exercises.

55cm
65cm
75cm

I sink a bit, but my hip height is perfect for my legs—my thighs are parallel to the ground—I'm not squatting nor stretching when I sit. No more butt-shock after 10 hours in the chair because I'm constantly rolling/moving a bit (not intentionally, more like fiddling). What I noticed was that I was higher than in my office chair and at first this felt wrong. Keyboard, tablet, mouse, monitors were all in a new place. All I needed to do was raise my monitors up to eye level and everything fit nicely. My posture while working is much improved.

~ CB
Sharon Van Lieu

Nantucket Landscape and Architectural Photographer

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks, Chris!

Sharon

jmlphotography

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »
ReplyReply

There seem to be many versions, which model do you recommend?
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad