Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Lenses for D800 - where's the weak link?  (Read 24840 times)
BernardLanguillier

« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2013, 09:03:51 AM »
ReplyReply

Actually, this is the reason I switched to doing panos with a tilt-shift lens in the first place - after a trip to Mongolia, I ended up with too many spherical panos that Photoshop just wouldn't stitch properly.

A lot of scenes still have enough dynamic range to benefit greatly from either a ND grad or HDR/image blending - and, by using a ND grad, you end up with half or one-third as many images to deal with later.

PS has progressed since CS6, but it remains a pretty average stitcher, you may want to try Autopano pro or PTGui Pro on your Mongolia images. Unless there was a serious issue at capture they should solve you problems.

I haven't felt the need to use a ND grad a single time since I started to use the D3x 4 years ago. What do you shoot with if I may ask?

Cheers,
Bernard

A few images online here!
LKaven

« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »
ReplyReply

Turns out that Nikon 60mm AF-S F2.8 on D800e delivers superb results in real life shots.
I used it through the entire studio session today and areas in focus are sharp to my full satisfaction!

And it has extremely low distortion, around 0.1%, making it a favorite among some fashion shooters.  This lens excels in the mid-far field as well, on a par with the top Nikon pro glass (24-70, 70-200). 

Quentin

« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »
ReplyReply

I don't use my D800E and 24mm PC-E tilt shift for panos.  I use a very compact system comprising a Sigma dP2m and nodal ninja III compact pano head and lightweight tripod.  This is properly set up with accurate nodal point andI have yet to have an issue with stitching using PT GUI pro.   The results are in the 10x 8 league for resolution.  There is simply little reason to go to the hassle of using heavier and more complex kit for panoramas,  great though the D800 is for all other purposes.

Howver I have looked at this intriguing device

http://www.nikonschool.it/experience/jumbo-mbs2.php

Google translate link

http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&tl=en&u=http://www.nikonschool.it/experience/jumbo-mbs2.php

Anyone try it?

Quentin
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:51:37 PM by Quentin » Logged

Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, photographer entrepreneur and senior partner of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2013
BernardLanguillier

« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2013, 07:38:35 PM »
ReplyReply

I don't use my D800E and 24mm PC-E tilt shift for panos.  I use a very compact system comprising a Sigma dP2m and nodal ninja III compact pano head and lightweight tripod.  This is properly set up with accurate nodal point andI have yet to have an issue with stitching using PT GUI pro.   The results are in the 10x 8 league for resolution.

Yep, the DPm series camera are great for stitching also.

I still prefer the DR of the D800 though. I find this to be often key for wide panos shot with 50mm lenses because of the variety of light levels often present in the scene.

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2013, 08:42:04 PM »
ReplyReply

Maybe somebody should finally make a nice cheap F8 lens.

Edmund

I would like to recommend this wonderful lens. The 85mm 1.8 G.
This portrait of my daughter, done at f/8 with studio flash.

100% view.

ACH
photodan

« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2013, 12:34:02 PM »
ReplyReply

Maybe somebody should finally make a nice cheap F8 lens.

Edmund

I'll second that thought in spirit so to speak. I'd like to see autofocus single focal length lenses (say at at least from 35mm to 200mm) with a max aperture of around f/2.8 - on the assumption that they could be economically designed and produced with high quality control (economically meaning not much more expensive than the current f/2 f/1.8 variants and less expensive than the f/1.4 variants) to:
(a) no focus shift
(b) negligible CA at all apertures 
(c) negligible purple fringing at all apertures
(d) negligible distortion
(e) resolution across almost the entire image plane that makes full use of high mp cameras such as the D800/E
(f) very smooth bokeh
(g) microcontrast similar to Zeiss lenses

It really ticks me off that I can't find a such a lens for the D800E I have. I think I've tried them all in my favorite focal length range. What do I see out there for example is a bunch of recent 35mm f/1.4 lenses that fail in most of the categories and old f/2 designs that fail as well. Apparently there's not much of a market for lenses that I would like best.  I am aware of procedural and software workarounds for some of the issues but they are compromises.  I spent a ton of money on the D800E and lenses (bought and sold for the most part) and what I get for that investment is excellent dynamic range and color, but just slightly more effective resolution than the 20-24mp cameras. 

AFairley

« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2013, 06:07:25 PM »
ReplyReply

I'll second that thought in spirit so to speak. I'd like to see autofocus single focal length lenses (say at at least from 35mm to 200mm) with a max aperture of around f/2.8 - on the assumption that they could be economically designed and produced with high quality control (economically meaning not much more expensive than the current f/2 f/1.8 variants and less expensive than the f/1.4 variants)

+1  This a major gripe of mine.  Since my usual shooting aperture is f8, I do not need blazing speed, particularly at the expense of performance across the frame. The weight and expense of the f1.4 lenses is just waste to me. 

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »
ReplyReply

(a) no focus shift
(b) negligible CA at all apertures 
(c) negligible purple fringing at all apertures
(d) negligible distortion
(e) resolution across almost the entire image plane that makes full use of high mp cameras such as the D800/E
(f) very smooth bokeh
(g) microcontrast similar to Zeiss lenses

It really ticks me off that I can't find a such a lens for the D800E I have.

Have you tried the 28 and 85mm f1.8?

Seems to me that these 2 are by far the closest ever to what you are suggesting. Image quality is mind boggling and price is cheap.

Cheers,
Bernard

jwstl

« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »
ReplyReply

I wouldn't say the Sigma 35 1.4 "fails in most categories". I'm not sure it fails in any category. I haven't used it on an FX body-ordering a D800E this week-but I have no doubt it will shine. It's as good as the reviews say.
Quentin

« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2013, 07:34:14 PM »
ReplyReply

I wouldn't say the Sigma 35 1.4 "fails in most categories". I'm not sure it fails in any category. I haven't used it on an FX body-ordering a D800E this week-but I have no doubt it will shine. It's as good as the reviews say.

It shines.   Grin

On my D800E it is simply outstanding.  Pin sharp wide open, one if the finest prime lenses I have used.

Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, photographer entrepreneur and senior partner of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2013
Ken R

« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »
ReplyReply

I did a pretty thorough real world landscape photo test with the D800E and the 5D mark III using some of the best wide angles lenses available. On the Nikon I used the new Zeiss 15mm, the 14-24mm and the 24 PC-E. On the Canon i used the 24mm TSE II and the 14mm L II. Besides looking at images on my monitor and posting crops I printed the images 20x30in and crops from 40x60in prints (on 20x30in since thats the larges I could print locally)

I posted it here: LINK

Look at all the pages of the thread because I kept posting through it.
BernardLanguillier

« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2013, 08:47:22 PM »
ReplyReply

It shines.   Grin

On my D800E it is simply outstanding.  Pin sharp wide open, one if the finest prime lenses I have used.

I have to agree, it is an impressive lens. I had the chance to use it on the D800 last night during the wedding reception of a friend, very impressed with every aspect of it, starting with the AF that worked overall better than that of my trusted 85mm f1.4 AF-S...

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2013, 08:35:12 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

Just a small note, don't forget about sharpening. Different lens/sensor combos need different sharpening. The Canon 5DIII has a OLP filter and that means that it needs more sharpening than the Nikon D800E which has a disabled OLP filter or the Pentax 645D that has none.

You could try my sharpening recipe in LR4, see below.

Best regards
Erik

I did a pretty thorough real world landscape photo test with the D800E and the 5D mark III using some of the best wide angles lenses available. On the Nikon I used the new Zeiss 15mm, the 14-24mm and the 24 PC-E. On the Canon i used the 24mm TSE II and the 14mm L II. Besides looking at images on my monitor and posting crops I printed the images 20x30in and crops from 40x60in prints (on 20x30in since thats the larges I could print locally)

I posted it here: LINK

Look at all the pages of the thread because I kept posting through it.

Ken R

« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »
ReplyReply

I tried sharpening on the final print, also some noise reduction in the 5D3 image to reduce the banding and noise in the deep shadows. The NR worked great but the sharpening helped only a little since it just could not make up for detail that was not there. The D800e wiped the floor with the Canon in that regard. On a small print it works well but large prints are brutal and show every single shortcoming. Given, I was looking at prints 20x30in and larger (because thats what I plan on exhibiting).

For smaller prints. Say 16x20 and smaller even 12MP is enough. 18-22MP is good up to 20x30in if all things are perfect with the best optics. Given Im looking at prints with my nose inches from the surface.
Pages: « 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad