Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Fun with Medium Format Digital  (Read 3060 times)
Quentin

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »
ReplyReply

H4D-50, 4 images stitched

Impressive shot.  What lens and stitching software did you use?

Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, photographer entrepreneur and senior partner of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2013
DHW-JHartje

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 04:52:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Beautiful, but you might want to get that Swan's Neck checked out Smiley

Here's my contribution.

70 stitched shots from an Alpa FPS/Rodie HR50/IQ180 from the pinnacle of the tallest man made structure on Earth:

Hi,

I guess this: (http://wap.bild.de/bild/json.bild.de/servlet/json/wap/28561512.html is you as well? Just saw it. I think it is the biggest German newspaper😃
Gel

Excuse me while I bust a cap

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »
ReplyReply

Impressive shot.  What lens and stitching software did you use?

This was the 35mm and I used CS6's built in stitching.

Used a Lee filter polarizer and a couple of Grad ND's. I know it looks a little HDR but it isnt.

Took several whilst I was on holiday last week:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:43:18 PM by Gel » Logged

Quentin

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 10:46:37 AM »
ReplyReply

Chris,

I don't have the 35mm.  I use the 50mm HC Mk.II which I think is my sharpest Hassy lens ( much better than the old design) and the 28mm but for stitching, I now use an entirely different solution, a Sigma DP2 Merril, which is very compact and gives superb quality.  I won't post examples here as its the wrong thread for that.  I have stitched using the H4D-50 in the past.  I will post one I did a while back shortly.

Nice work though Grin

Quentin

Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, photographer entrepreneur and senior partner of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2013
Gel

Excuse me while I bust a cap

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks Quentin. As a travel lens I like the 35 as on a 35mm it's around 24mm equiv and I never like to go wider than that, I have the 50mm MK1 which tbh I haven't used enough to be bothered with, for some reason I never shoot at 35mm equiv. Weird.

How is the Merril, it seems a nice price for such a high resolution compact.

Quentin

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 11:07:26 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks Quentin. As a travel lens I like the 35 as on a 35mm it's around 24mm equiv and I never like to go wider than that, I have the 50mm MK1 which tbh I haven't used enough to be bothered with, for some reason I never shoot at 35mm equiv. Weird.

How is the Merril, it seems a nice price for such a high resolution compact.

The Merrill is a life changer.  I have both the DP1m and 2m, and will get the DP3m when it emerges.  The Hassy is superior, obviously, but not by as much as you'd expect.  When I went on a photographic vacation for a week to Morocco last November, I took just the Merrills, a NEX -7 (which I hardly used) and left the Hassy at home.   Used the Merrills for stitched work, including interiors. I know I said I would not post a Merrill shot here, but it is relevant for comparison purposes, and anyway, this is a "fun" thread so here is a link to one of the stiched shots (warning: large file!).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9806585/Attarine_Madrasa_QDB_Mono.jpg

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:15:18 AM by Quentin » Logged

Quentin

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »
ReplyReply

Sandymouth: H4D-50, 28mm HCD lens

Hulyss

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
ReplyReply

Some fun in the studio with MF Wink HP5+ and Fuji645

(Edit - My bad I didn't seen correctly the tittle with "digital" ...) Take it as a 6x4.5 cm digital sensor  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:35:12 PM by Hulyss » Logged

Kind Regards - www.hulyssbowman.com
yaya

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 01:59:20 PM »
ReplyReply

LIKE!

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Mamiya Leaf |
e: ysh@leaf-photography.com | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | www.mamiyaleaf.com | yaya's blog
jsch

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 03:10:34 PM »
ReplyReply

Some fun in the studio with MF Wink HP5+ and Fuji645

(Edit - My bad I didn't seen correctly the tittle with "digital" ...) Take it as a 6x4.5 cm digital sensor  Embarrassed

I will never stop to explain: film is DIGITAL because you can count the individual grains. You can use a microscope to confirm this easily. Everything you can count is digital. The differences between film and sensor are:
- Film grain is randomly distributed and responds in a logarithmic way to light.
- Sensor sensels are regularly distributed and respond in a linear way to light.

Consequently you are under the headline and can continue to post images taken with a HP5+ "sensor".

I wrote it recently in an other thread here: There is no analog in this world we know of. Everything can be counted. Sometimes the numbers a just very big.

Best,
Johannes
Quentin

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 03:34:51 PM »
ReplyReply

Sure, Johannes  Huh Grin

jsch

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 03:50:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Sure, Johannes  Huh Grin

It is very very easy to get what you want. Just say: "Fun with sensors which have an orthogonal sensor layout and linear response". This rules film out. AND you could add: "Sensor must be bigger than 24x36 mm." This rules 35 mm out.

Best,
Johannes

p.s.: Quentin I just saw you are a senior partner in a Law firm. I'm absolutely definitely sure that you know how important waterproof explanations are ;-)
p.p.s.: Don't take my remarks to serious.
p.p.p.s.: I'm not a native english speaker, my apologies for any faulty explanations.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:58:29 PM by jsch » Logged
Quentin

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »
ReplyReply

It is very very easy to get what you want. Just say: "Fun with sensors which have an orthogonal sensor layout and linear response". This rules film out. AND you could add: "Sensor must be bigger than 24x36 mm." This rules 35 mm out.

Best,
Johannes

Whatever... *sigh*. Or focus on the word "fun" and stop fretting....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:57:26 PM by Quentin » Logged

jsch

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »
ReplyReply

Whatever... *sigh*. Or focus on the word "fun" and stop fretting....

Sorry, we cross posted, see above. I had to look up "fretting" in the dictionary. I only find a technical explanation and don't understand what I should not do.

Best,
Johannes
eronald

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Johannes,

We dub thee Count Infinity Smiley

Edmund

I will never stop to explain: film is DIGITAL because you can count the individual grains. You can use a microscope to confirm this easily. Everything you can count is digital. The differences between film and sensor are:
- Film grain is randomly distributed and responds in a logarithmic way to light.
- Sensor sensels are regularly distributed and respond in a linear way to light.

Consequently you are under the headline and can continue to post images taken with a HP5+ "sensor".

I wrote it recently in an other thread here: There is no analog in this world we know of. Everything can be counted. Sometimes the numbers a just very big.

Best,
Johannes

Edmund Ronald, Ph.D. 
Quentin

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 04:22:34 PM »
ReplyReply

Forget the word "digital" in the thread title.  Make it "fun with medium format". It makes more sense to be democratic.   

jsch

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 04:30:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Johannes,

We dub thee Count Infinity Smiley

Edmund

This I don't understand either, sorry. But infinity exists to my knowledge only in mathematics and for Buzz Lightyear.

Good night,
Johannes
Ed Foster, Jr.

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Quentin,
Excellent depth and fidelity - this is a very nice image. You are making good use of the 28. Mine was returned today after a "checkup", so now I have to catch up.

Ed

Ed Foster, Jr.
www.edfoster.net
Quentin

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks, Ed, but what was the problem with yours?  I purchased mine used in a private sale.   It's a good lens.  And this is actually a two image focus stacked shot. I wanted to kept the sand pin sharp along with shoreline.   I have made the mistake in the past of trying to stop down too far with diffraction issues.....

Ed Foster, Jr.

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 07:14:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Quentin,
The crispness of the lens was not quite what I thought it should be, so while this body and lens were still under warranty, I wanted to have it checked. Sure enough they found that the sensor was a "titch" off. We'll see how it performs tomorrow.

Ed

Ed Foster, Jr.
www.edfoster.net
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad