Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Broncolor LightBar Evolution 60 and 120 Europe 220V can be converted to 110V  (Read 8838 times)
neil snape

« on: February 18, 2013, 01:26:17 AM »
ReplyReply

I am selling both my 60 and 120 cm LightBar Evolution with barn doors.
Both in absolutely perfect condition. Rarely used, and since I stopped doing still life 6 years ago, the 120 has been stored, the 60 used very very rarely.

The 120 new list price is 4008+ 718 for the barn doors. I listed them for 3000
The 60 new list price is 2452 +654 for the barn doors. This for 1900.

Selling them direct will reduce the commissions, thus negotiable.
I have lots of pictures of them too.

Shipping will be a lot of course. I am in Paris 75015 if you want to pick them up or get  a quick shipping cost.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:26:47 AM by neil snape » Logged
klane

I live in a c-stand fort.

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 04:58:30 PM »
ReplyReply

Can these be converted to 120v?
neil snape

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 01:30:37 AM »
ReplyReply

I am not sure but was going to ask Broncolor. The small halogen 20w lights are easy to change, but the fan (s) might have to be replaced with 110-120V versions too. I know last year when I took a Pulso F head marked 220-240V and changed the modeling light , I was told it would work but the fan wouldn't. Surprising as the fans are 70 or 80V in the heads I would have thought they work with reduced voltage the same. They don't turn.

If the LightBars use the same config it would mean changing them. Too bad they didn't use standard computer processor cooling fans at 5-12V it would be easy to do.

BTW the LightBars are made by the same maker as Profoto too so if you know anyone at Profoto they might be able to say.
In the next days I'll go by Broncolor and ask the technician.
klane

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 03:21:44 AM »
ReplyReply

thanks Neil, keep me posted.
UlfKrentz

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 01:47:13 PM »
ReplyReply

I am not sure but was going to ask Broncolor. The small halogen 20w lights are easy to change, but the fan (s) might have to be replaced with 110-120V versions too. I know last year when I took a Pulso F head marked 220-240V and changed the modeling light , I was told it would work but the fan wouldn't. Surprising as the fans are 70 or 80V in the heads I would have thought they work with reduced voltage the same. They don't turn.

If the LightBars use the same config it would mean changing them. Too bad they didn't use standard computer processor cooling fans at 5-12V it would be easy to do.

BTW the LightBars are made by the same maker as Profoto too so if you know anyone at Profoto they might be able to say.
In the next days I'll go by Broncolor and ask the technician.

It should be easy to do, just ask a bron tech, they will deliver the parts needed. Regarding F heads, they used AC powered fans of a very high quality, no DC PC fans for a reason. BTW, no need to change this fan when converting to another supply voltage, its just a small capacitor that has to be changed. AFAIK Bron makes their own stuff and Profotos special lights are made by Bacht in Germany, they probably dont share anything in their electrical design.HTH.

Cheers, Ulf
neil snape

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 01:56:51 PM »
ReplyReply

I didn't know it was just a capacitor to change. The G heads are multi voltage as are Unilite, Picolite etc.  There are very good PC fans out there, it's just a question of specs. I couldn't find any that would drop in, and the Bron prices are typical Bron prices=$$$$.  The Profoto and Bron strip light/Lightbars may have different electronics but the tubes, fans chassis are the same. Or I think they are, and have been told they are manufactured at the same place. Of course to OEM spec, nothing wrong with that. At least Profoto had the good sense to put a decent mount on> Wink
UlfKrentz

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 02:21:35 PM »
ReplyReply

I didn't know it was just a capacitor to change. The G heads are multi voltage as are Unilite, Picolite etc.  There are very good PC fans out there, it's just a question of specs. I couldn't find any that would drop in, and the Bron prices are typical Bron prices=$$$$.  The Profoto and Bron strip light/Lightbars may have different electronics but the tubes, fans chassis are the same. Or I think they are, and have been told they are manufactured at the same place. Of course to OEM spec, nothing wrong with that. At least Profoto had the good sense to put a decent mount on> Wink

No offence intended :-). The F heads were build quite straightforward, it was usual to use this kind of fan at this time. There was no need to have a lot of electronics inside for multivoltage they just used a capacitive reactance. While you wont see any great difference in the tubes, they can vary a lot in their electrical characteristics and you better ask a qualified technician which tubes can be used for which pack. Anyway, these lightbars are great and it should be easy to adapt them to 120V. Good luck for your sale.

Cheers, Ulf
neil snape

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »
ReplyReply

I asked at Broncolor France. Decidedly not the most brilliant folk. From what I could get out of them and most of it not precise, the ventilator has to be changed to run efficiently. They are not the same as the Pulso G heads ( which are 24V). The European version fan is 65. I asked if I had to change any other electronics. They didn't know. They lost their really good technician I still keep in touch with, who went to Profoto years ago.  I asked Bron in Switzerland, yet no answer yet.
If it is just a question of changing the fan, that is easy.
Esben

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 01:17:50 PM »
ReplyReply

Hey Neil

Thanks for the info. I'm in the same situation. I have an old Lightbar 60 (non Evolution), 220v that I need to convert.  I called BronImaging US and spoke with the technician. He didn't sound too sure but he was of the same believe, that it might only be a matter of changing the fan to a 120V version.
I would like to hear what the good people in Switzerland are saying Smiley

E

Digital Tech NYC // LA
www.captureforce.com

phone. 212 203 6427
klane

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 08:32:37 PM »
ReplyReply

I emailed Bron USA no response yet...
neil snape

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 01:25:57 AM »
ReplyReply

I'll ask my friend who went to Profoto. He still repairs Broncolor stuff for friends. The policy of Broncolor is poor here, they basically tell clients to throw out everything or replace entire parts where as this person can repair just the necessary element. A real technician, not a parts changer.

I don't expect a response from Broncolor, yet will be pleasantly surprised if they indeed get back to me.
neil snape

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 02:07:17 AM »
ReplyReply

Bron Switzerland  just replied. No clear instructions other than Broncolor France were sent an inquiry and indeed they can modify them for 110V. I can only assume it's just the fans. I think in that case it'd be best just to order a fan on the North American side and replace it. They are just screw in parts and it takes a few minutes to do.
neil snape

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 03:28:10 AM »
ReplyReply

My friend and ex Brocolor wizard said it's not hard, just change the fan. I referenced the fan and found the same variants in 110V an easy replacement for the 220V version. The part number in 220V is 2092HSL SF23092A Sunon sleeve ball bearing fan, and it's equivalent is SUNON - SF11592A 1092MBL.GN - AXIAL FAN,92MM, 115VAC,28CFM, 33dBA. Around 15$US.

So indeed these will work in the US and Canada by changing the fans and modeling lights ( 20W halogens )
Esben

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 04:25:24 PM »
ReplyReply

Very good news.

Thank you Neil.

E

Digital Tech NYC // LA
www.captureforce.com

phone. 212 203 6427
neil snape

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 06:35:21 AM »
ReplyReply

I am back in Paris, these were never sold, if you're interested let me know. They are not being used, just collecting dust, which is a shame for such fabulous equipment.
neil snape

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 09:15:12 AM »
ReplyReply

Price reduced, even more if you take both. 1600 and 2500 on Ebay so less if you buy them without going through Ebay. Take both and I can likely drop them off in Europe at any major airport served by Easy Jet for the cost of a return trip.
neil snape

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 02:00:33 AM »
ReplyReply

Bump
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad