Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 82 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 246730 times)
ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #600 on: August 09, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »
ReplyReply

Martin, delighting sensual and well staged shot.

This is another one from my series Collected and Treasured.

ACH

Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com
JoeKitchen

« Reply #601 on: August 14, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »
ReplyReply

I am in the process of "relocating" to NYC from Philly and, of course, need to change branding a little.  Shot these two Sunday; although I wish I had sun, I think they came out ok.  Both shot with the Rodie 55, which I am also trying to use more often too. 

Joe Kitchen
www.josephmkitchen.com

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent moving furniture."  Arnold Newman
"Try not to be just better than your rivals and contemporaries, try to be better than yourself."  William Faulkner
jsch

« Reply #602 on: August 14, 2013, 12:02:09 PM »
ReplyReply

I am in the process of "relocating" to NYC from Philly and, of course, need to change branding a little.  Shot these two Sunday; although I wish I had sun, I think they came out ok.  Both shot with the Rodie 55, which I am also trying to use more often too. 

Hi Joe,

is New York the only place to be as a photographer in the US? It seems a lot of photographers are moving there – even Mark Tucker. Forgive, but I'm curious.

Best,
Johannes
JoeKitchen

« Reply #603 on: August 14, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi Joe,

is New York the only place to be as a photographer in the US? It seems a lot of photographers are moving there – even Mark Tucker. Forgive, but I'm curious.

Best,
Johannes
That really depends on what your intentions are and what you want to do with your career.  If you are fine with being a somewhat successful photographer that has good clients and can support a family, then anywhere should be a good place.  And there is nothing wrong with this.  

But if you want to be the best, shoot the best, work for the best clients, use the best equipment, charge the highest fees, then you really need to be in a cultural Hub, and NYC is a hub.  This is where I want to be in my career in a few years, but Philly is not a hub; it is a pit stop between two hubs (sad to say about my home town, but it is true).  

I thought being in Philly would give me advantages, such as being able to learn the business before going after NYC and DC (which was actually a good thing since Philly is a little more laid back), having a lower cost of living, and being able to support NYC and DC clients equally as well since I am in between both cities.  My girlfriend, who is a food photographer, felt the same thing.  However we are finding that a lot of NYC firms do not look at us as "great photographers," but as "great photographers who live in Philadelphia."  I was flat out told by a very prestigious firm in NYC that they thought my work was exceptional and would consider working with me ... if I was in NYC, but since I am not what would be the point.  It is frustrating for both of us.  

To be the best, you need to be in a hub (or at least get established in one), plain and simple.  
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:42:16 PM by JoeKitchen » Logged

Joe Kitchen
www.josephmkitchen.com

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent moving furniture."  Arnold Newman
"Try not to be just better than your rivals and contemporaries, try to be better than yourself."  William Faulkner
pixjohn

« Reply #604 on: August 14, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »
ReplyReply

I can tell you from personal experience  and a lot if years in NYC. You should continue in Philly and make it look like your in NYC for awhile. Get a NYC number and address first, move in steps. living in  NYC is not a golden ticket. Why do they need to know where your house is? In the past if you shot in Brooklyn, you might has well have lived in Kansas. I had friends who got a NYC numbers and address and marketed themselves as a NYC photographers and did very well, why living in Brooklyn. I lived in NYC for over 10 years and did very well, but had very little money left to enjoy. I had another friend in the same boat that did extremely well in NYC and after 10 years moved to CT and he continues to do even better with his NYC number. Its a mind game, you just have to play it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:54:41 PM by pixjohn » Logged
HarperPhotos

« Reply #605 on: August 15, 2013, 02:08:28 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Joe,

I don’t know you from a bar of soap. But there is an old saying when you are the best there is only one direction and that is down. Take some  advice from a 53 year old photographer who has done pretty good over the years. Longevity is a better option. Also I was invited to New York in the late 90’s to set up a studio and my replay was and leave my beautiful New Zealand no thanks

Cheers

Simon

Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand
Rob C

« Reply #606 on: August 15, 2013, 02:51:01 AM »
ReplyReply

awas in NYC, but since I am not what would be the point.  It is frustrating for both of us.  

To be the best, you need to be in a hub (or at least get established in one), plain and simple.  

I have to agree. It's not only about address, it's also about bonding and that means personally.

Many years ago, when I was doing quite well up in Scotland, I moved out to Spain in order to have instant calendar locations all around me. I got that. I also decided that to maximise the advantage, I should change stock libraries for one that did stock as well as provide commissioned work of the type that I did: calendar girls.

So I took a trip back to London, looked up American Susan G. who ran her own stock library as well as having a photographers' agency. She said she'd be delighted to take me on for stock, but that insofar as commissions went, I had to live in London or forget all about it. I understood then, and still do. But I couldn't maintain the lifestyle I could in Scotland and Mallorca in London. My nice house-with-studio in Glasgow would have bought a garage in London. And I had no intentions of stepping (leaping!) backwards. It was the same story when I had a day with the head of AGE library in Spain: I'd thought of moving to Barcelona for the models. He looked around my place here on the island and told me I was nuts: I'd have to be a stockbroker to have in Barcelona what I have here.

Such a lot depends on where your parents live, and how old you are when you face decisions. I guess that if you have nothing to lose, then do it, but otherwise choose between being paralysed by fear or betting the farm on a dream.

Rob C

JoeKitchen

« Reply #607 on: August 15, 2013, 05:44:29 AM »
ReplyReply

Let me just say that I am moving there in steps, both of us.  We now have NYC numbers and addresses.  The only problem with not living there is not being able to network as good as if we were.  I also need to get a portfolio of exterior buildings from NYC, which is hard since I don't live there either. 

And also that fact that I will have to leave Philly at 2:15 AM this Sat. to make a 4:15 start time in Manhattan; not looking forward to that.   Sad

Joe Kitchen
www.josephmkitchen.com

BobDavid

« Reply #608 on: August 15, 2013, 08:25:43 AM »
ReplyReply

I don't understand your rationale, Joe. Perhaps a New York rep will help you land more jobs in NYC. Photography is more competitive now than it's ever been. I live in the middle of a swamp; 90% of my projects come from clients that are at least 500 miles away. Perhaps you'd stand a better chance marketing your skills to Cleveland. I would think NYC is saturated with local talent.
TMARK

« Reply #609 on: August 15, 2013, 08:28:39 AM »
ReplyReply

If I were in your shoes, live in Carrol Gardens, Brooklyn for three years.  Try and save some money (almost impossible).  Make your connections, shoot a bunch, then get the hell out.  NYC is set up for boom and bust.  If you boom in NYC, have an exit strategy, diversify, make sure you shoot in LA, make sure you make the rounds to all the big clients in the US and abroad.  Otherwise, once your connections at an agency or magazine are gone, so are you.  Then you have to start over.

Good luck.  Its a good experience living there.

Let me just say that I am moving there in steps, both of us.  We now have NYC numbers and addresses.  The only problem with not living there is not being able to network as good as if we were.  I also need to get a portfolio of exterior buildings from NYC, which is hard since I don't live there either. 

And also that fact that I will have to leave Philly at 2:15 AM this Sat. to make a 4:15 start time in Manhattan; not looking forward to that.   Sad
Chris Barrett

« Reply #610 on: August 15, 2013, 10:48:04 AM »
ReplyReply

My wife and I have toyed for years with getting an NYC apartment, just a small rental as sort of a weekend place.  It would also give me an East Coast presence, so that I could shoot there without my typical $3k travel expense.  I figured if it landed me a few extra jobs a year it would at least pay for the Apt.

We dig NYC but love Chicago too.

Here's a picture of some chairs...

...and a house...

CB
Aphoto

« Reply #611 on: August 15, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
ReplyReply

@Chris Barrett
oh,
I like the first one very much!

Best, Adrian // www.adrianschulz.com
JoeKitchen

« Reply #612 on: August 16, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »
ReplyReply

Great work Chris, as always. 

Wow, this whole move to NYC thing is getting blown out of the water.  First, we do not plan on moving for some time now, and we would live in Brooklyn.  We already have a nice name base in NYC and our plan is to get our NYC numbers and addresses out there this winter.  Two weeks in and we are already seeing great responses, even from those we have previously met with.  One firm that I have been really trying to get in with finally returned my calls and emails after 3 years of nothing; I am sure the 646 number had a part in that. 

On another note, I hate it when people tell you they "do not have a budget, just tell us what it would cost."  Then I get the reply, your number was more then what we wanted to spend.  Me thinking, "so you did have a budget after all." 

Joe Kitchen
www.josephmkitchen.com

Chris Barrett

« Reply #613 on: August 16, 2013, 11:27:14 AM »
ReplyReply

Perhaps they wanted to spend zero?  I don't even know what the going rate is anymore, whether I'm high or low. Naturally I'm happy people keep paying my day rate.
Kirk Gittings

« Reply #614 on: August 16, 2013, 12:23:35 PM »
ReplyReply

Nice work Chris.

Good luck with that Joe. I hope it works out for you. Boy to each his own. New Mexico is full of successful photographers bailing from living and working in the big three markets-seems they hate the lifestyle usually. When I go to Chicago (to teach photo) I don't even look for work though some oftentimes comes my way. I love Chicago and need my urban fix there periodically but it is a huge PITA to work there. I am always thrilled to get back to the SW where things are more accessible and not so hectic.

The last time I was there I needed to get on the roof of The Palmer House hotel to do a shot down Michigan Ave. of another building. No shit it took 6 weeks to get them to return my phone calls (and my clients calls too).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 12:27:26 PM by Kirk Gittings » Logged

Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Gittings
Architecture and Landscape Photography
WWW.GITTINGSPHOTO.COM

LIGHT+SPACE+STRUCTURE (blog)
TMARK

« Reply #615 on: August 16, 2013, 01:05:20 PM »
ReplyReply

I've never liked The Palmer House.  This makes me like them even less.

Nice work Chris.

Good luck with that Joe. I hope it works out for you. Boy to each his own. New Mexico is full of successful photographers bailing from living and working in the big three markets-seems they hate the lifestyle usually. When I go to Chicago (to teach photo) I don't even look for work though some oftentimes comes my way. I love Chicago and need my urban fix there periodically but it is a huge PITA to work there. I am always thrilled to get back to the SW where things are more accessible and not so hectic.

The last time I was there I needed to get on the roof of The Palmer House hotel to do a shot down Michigan Ave. of another building. No shit it took 6 weeks to get them to return my phone calls (and my clients calls too).
Rob C

« Reply #616 on: August 16, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
ReplyReply

Nice work Chris.

Isn't this an example of the benefits of living on location? One could have gone to see the right guy and got a defintive reply in moments. If I could walk in unexpectedly off the street in Cannes and get the ear of the Public Relations Manager of the Carlton, why not a joint in NY?

Belief is the miracle that opens the doors.

Rob C

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #617 on: August 16, 2013, 03:00:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Rob, I was living there for the summer. It took half the summer to get a phone call returned. PLUS as I said they would not return my clients calls either (their neighbor). Nor could I just "walk in" and talk to the right person-tried that and got nowhere.

A similar thing happens when trying to get my architectural photography class access to buildings to do some photography. No problem in the SW-huge problem in Chicago.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 03:05:13 PM by Kirk Gittings » Logged

Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Gittings
WWW.GITTINGSPHOTO.COM

Rob C

« Reply #618 on: August 16, 2013, 03:24:11 PM »
ReplyReply

Rob, I was living there for the summer. It took half the summer to get a phone call returned. PLUS as I said they would not return my clients calls either (their neighbor). Nor could I just "walk in" and talk to the right person-tried that and got nowhere.

A similar thing happens when trying to get my architectural photography class access to buildings to do some photography. No problem in the SW-huge problem in Chicago.

Maybe it's contemporary city paranoia and thoughts of terrorism. You don't, like I do, have a beard, do you? Never helps!

;-)

Rob C

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #619 on: August 16, 2013, 03:25:48 PM »
ReplyReply

Yes, But I look like Ansel Adams for pete's sake! Smiley

Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Gittings
WWW.GITTINGSPHOTO.COM