Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: DP3M Commentary by Hulyss Bowman  (Read 8993 times)
Quentin

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 03:24:27 AM »
ReplyReply

I can see the great attraction of a sharp image but I'm puzzled as to the lack of identical scene comparisons with certain DSLRs that one might expect would produce a similar degree of sharpness when used with the best quality primes.

For example, if one already has a D800E and one wants the sharpest image possible, one could use the Nikkor AF-S 85mm F1.8G. which costs less than the DP3M.

The Foveon sensor traditionally produces the spacial resolution of a Bayer sensor (with AA filter) which has close to double the pixel count of the Foveon. If this relationship still holds, then the 15mp DP3M could have close to the resolution of a 30mp Bayer sensor with AA filter, but not quite the resolution of the 36mp D800, and perhaps more certainly not quite the resolution of the D800E, depending on quality of lenses used.

I would guess that the resolution of the DP3M would be about equal to that of the new 24mp Nikon D7100, which doesn't have an AA filter, when that camera is used with the same focal length of lens such as the excellent Nikkor AF-S 50/F1.4.

I don't have a DP3M yet but as many know I was one of the first to buy a DP2M and I also have a DP1M, and a Nikon D800E.

A big advantage of the Sigma DPxM series is a lack of lens angst. The lenses are outstanding and can be relied upon to deliver incredible detail.  While the D800E has a resolution advantage on paper, getting the best out of it depends on using the best lenses and not only that, good samples of the best lenses.  However, the D800/E is in my view a superior portrait tool and I use it with a sigma 85mm f1.4 for that purpose.  Used on a tripod with the best glass, the D800E is capable of superb results, but it is prone to shutter vibration at even fairly high shutter speeds. 

Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, photographer entrepreneur and senior partner of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2013
Ray

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 07:59:39 AM »
ReplyReply

I don't have a DP3M yet but as many know I was one of the first to buy a DP2M and I also have a DP1M, and a Nikon D800E.

A big advantage of the Sigma DPxM series is a lack of lens angst. The lenses are outstanding and can be relied upon to deliver incredible detail. 

That might be true, Quentin, but what about DR angst, focal length angst, high-ISO angst, and lack-of-VR angst?

Then there's the angst that the sum total of these other angsts might be greater than the freedom from lens angst.  Grin
Rob C

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 09:16:24 AM »
ReplyReply

That might be true, Quentin, but what about DR angst, focal length angst, high-ISO angst, and lack-of-VR angst?

Then there's the angst that the sum total of these other angsts might be greater than the freedom from lens angst.  Grin

Ray, you have forgotten all about the driving angst, the greatest angst of them all: follow the guru angst. It's the force, baby, the driving force. Who needs the ugly face of Fact if one can enjoy those twin effing sisters: Fiction and Faith?

;-)

Rob C

Ray

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 09:41:22 AM »
ReplyReply

Ray, you have forgotten all about the driving angst, the greatest angst of them all: follow the guru angst. It's the force, baby, the driving force. Who needs the ugly face of Fact if one can enjoy those twin effing sisters: Fiction and Faith?

;-)

Rob C

What can I say, Rob! I'm happy to be free of all angst, great or small. To achieve that, I probably need an affordable, lightweight, 30mp (spatially) Foveon Camera with the DR, SNR, and high-ISO performance of a D800E, and a fixed, 10x zoom lens made from super lightweight nano materials, and which is equal in optical performance at every focal length to the DP3 Merrill fixed 50mm prime.

Oh! I almost forgot. I'd also like the glass in the lens to be made out of nano-materials which have a negative refractive index so that the lens is not limited by diffraction at F16 and F22.

Then I'll be free of all angst.  Grin
Rob C

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »
ReplyReply

What can I say, Rob! I'm happy to be free of all angst, great or small. To achieve that, I probably need an affordable, lightweight, 30mp (spatially) Foveon Camera with the DR, SNR, and high-ISO performance of a D800E, and a fixed, 10x zoom lens made from super lightweight nano materials, and which is equal in optical performance at every focal length to the DP3 Merrill fixed 50mm prime.

Oh! I almost forgot. I'd also like the glass in the lens to be made out of nano-materials which have a negative refractive index so that the lens is not limited by diffraction at F16 and F22.

Then I'll be free of all angst.  Grin

Then were would be the fun, the challenge?

To be honest with you, and just between the two of us, I've never invited challenge into my life: I like to be firmly in control. I've always suspected those who claim to love a challenge are less than complete with the truth - like in a tax return, as it were, though all of my returns are, of course,  perfectly clean and honest. Easy, when there's little to hide. That's the basic beauty of being a monk: they can take your cloak right off your back until there's nothing left for them, and then they have to keep you.

I'd rather keep the cloak, though.

Rob C

Pages: « 1 [2]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad