Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Distilled water turned Canon canvas slight yellow?!  (Read 469 times)
darlingm

« on: March 18, 2013, 05:01:32 PM »
ReplyReply

Why would spraying distilled water on the back of Canon Artistic Matte Canvas change the base white into one shade in the yellow direction?  Like if the canvas was 255/255/255 white (it isn't), turning it into 255/255/254 yellow.

Makes it look like a light stain, where the distilled water treated areas and non-treated areas meet.

I've been known to use the distilled water trick on the back of Breathing Color Lyve or Crystalline to take out a ripple or crease, without ever having an issue.

Have a customer who wanted to push price down by using cheaper canvas.  I've had a roll of Canon Graphic Matte Canvas for a while that I got at a heck of a discount holding for such an occasion, so used that.

Wound up cheating further by re-spraying the entire back of the canvas.  The entire canvas stained light yellow, but it's uniform now on the front so you can't see anything wrong.  The stain-effect is now on the sides.

I'd usually re-do, lesson learned, without a second thought, but this customer's actually happy to buy these screwed up ones at a discount.  (He'll re-paint the sides white.)

But, I'm still confused how distilled water would turn it yellow.  It's a special spray bottle -- purchased specifically for distilled, well labeled as such, never anything else in it.

Mike Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing Amazing Artwork Reproduction Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com (734) 255-9761
Colorwave

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 05:09:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Very odd.  Is that a high OBA canvas?  Perhaps it somehow reacted with the fluorescent dye and negated it's effect?.  Do you have a way to check your water's pH?

Darron Chadwick

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 06:21:55 PM »
ReplyReply

any chance the yellow staining came from the canvas fibers?

also has this happened on this one print or everything printed from this roll

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad