Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: iProfiler printer profiling & Colorchecker question.  (Read 2012 times)
Blynch

« on: March 23, 2013, 04:45:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Just a quick question for anybody using iProfiler for printer profiling.
When you profile your printer and print out the colorchecker chart, if you measure in those values and compare them to the actual colorchecker chart values, how close are the values?
I'm having an issue with profiles being far too dark compared to on screen, so to rule out the monitor calibration I printed the colorchecker chart and when I measure it every patch is way off.

I am assuming that once the color on the chart is within gamut on the created profile then it should be a pretty much perfect match once printed?
digitaldog

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 06:28:35 PM »
ReplyReply

That feature has the potential to be really great. But like some of what X-rite has done, it's half baked. We don't have any control over the rendering intent nor does it tell us what is used to print the test.

At this time, it's only a visual based test if that. I wouldn’t go to far into a measure and examine numbers rabbit hole.

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
Blynch

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 06:33:29 PM »
ReplyReply

I normally wouldn't go examining the numbers too much, but as I said the profile it created was way too dark so to rule out the monitor I measured the test chart.
I honestly though I could print the initial test chart, measure and create a profile and then i'd be set, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be any better than canned profiles.

I have yet to print and measure a Gracol test chart (fogra doesn't seem to be licenced in the photo version), my guess would be it would fail also.
digitaldog

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »
ReplyReply

I normally wouldn't go examining the numbers too much, but as I said the profile it created was way too dark so to rule out the monitor I measured the test chart.

Shouldn’t be so dark. When I've done this, the match is usually pretty good. Are you sure the print itself is really dark and not just a lot darker appearing than the display? Might be worth trying to output another target and building another profile. I usually see the holes over the MacBeth match pretty closely.

Andrew Rodney
Blynch

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:52:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Well as I said I tried ignoring the monitor, yes the print was darker than on screen. But if I measure the color checker chart supplied with the iProfiler, my print out is alot darker.
I have attached the iProfiler data analysis chart for you to see. To me the delta seems way too high.
digitaldog

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »
ReplyReply

What you want to do is output the Macbeth image file from inside i1P, then place the real target with the holes ("Holey" Checker) over it and view it under your print viewing setup. It still looks dark? It should match pretty closely to the actual ColorChecker you should have received in the package.

Andrew Rodney
Doyle Yoder

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »
ReplyReply

What is interesting. If you read the ColorChecker that came with i1Profiler the numbers do not match what is saved out of i1Pro.
Rhossydd

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 04:39:39 AM »
ReplyReply

We don't have any control over the rendering intent nor does it tell us what is used to print the test.
Hasn't anyone found these details out yet ?
digitaldog

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »
ReplyReply

My understanding is you are forced to use Perceptual for this print.

Andrew Rodney
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad