Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Darkened Cities  (Read 18224 times)
Isaac

« on: March 30, 2013, 11:44:11 AM »
ReplyReply

What Major World Cities Look Like at Night, Minus the Light Pollution

francois

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 04:35:59 AM »
ReplyReply

Superb images! Thanks for sharing.

Francois
Gulag

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:26:05 AM »
ReplyReply

Great images and it really answers the question if the world will become become a better place after humans are gone.

"The difference which you can make between fine arts and commercial or little art is today corresponded by the difference between the art that obeys and the art that does not obey. Great art does not obey. All others are arts that are of low quality, even pitiful. " - Paul Virilio
Isaac

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »
ReplyReply

really answers the question if the world will become become a better place after humans are gone.

As long as our definition of "better" is be able to see more stars ;-)
kikashi

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »
ReplyReply

As long as our definition of "better" is be able to see more stars ;-)

Or, of course, unable to see any stars, since by definition we won't be here. Tricky one.

Jeremy
Isaac

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 03:30:47 PM »
ReplyReply

Other creatures can see :-)
Slobodan Blagojevic

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 04:24:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Other creatures can see :-)

if humanity goes down the toilet, at least poop beetles would be quite happy:

Dung beetles guided by Milky Way

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
GeraldB

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 06:57:19 PM »
ReplyReply

I like. A very creative and different way of seeing things. Thanks for sharing the link.

Gulag

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 10:05:16 PM »
ReplyReply

I like. A very creative and different way of seeing things. Thanks for sharing the link.

No, he didn't see it. If he did and used his imagination, he would have included lots of forests in the dead concrete cities as a more authentic experience.

"The difference which you can make between fine arts and commercial or little art is today corresponded by the difference between the art that obeys and the art that does not obey. Great art does not obey. All others are arts that are of low quality, even pitiful. " - Paul Virilio
Isaac

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 07:33:39 AM »
ReplyReply

You seem to have confused your statement -- "a better place after humans are gone" -- with what the photographer was trying to do:

"...French photographer Thierry Cohen worries about city dwellers not being able to see the starry sky. With light and air pollution plaguing urban areas, it is not as if residents can look up from their streets and roof decks to spot constellations and shooting stars. ... Hed give city dwellers a taste of what they were missing."
Gulag

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »
ReplyReply

You seem to have confused your statement -- "a better place after humans are gone" -- with what the photographer was trying to do:

"...French photographer Thierry Cohen worries about city dwellers not being able to see the starry sky. With light and air pollution plaguing urban areas, it is not as if residents can look up from their streets and roof decks to spot constellations and shooting stars. ... Hed give city dwellers a taste of what they were missing."

Sorry but I entirely missed his intended meaning because I thought he had something more profound in his mind. After all, he didn't.

Slobodan Blagojevic

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 09:18:18 AM »
ReplyReply

... I thought he had something more profound in his mind. After all, he didn't.

For some of us, it is quite profound.

If by "more profound" you meant "after humans are gone," it might be so, but original it ain't. There has already been a TV series (on National Geographic Channel, I believe) about it. At least this guy came up with an original idea, plus a very cool and elaborate execution.

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
RSL

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 10:51:16 AM »
ReplyReply

When I was a kid my brother and I used to spend summers in northern Michigan at an aunt's cottage. We were at the end of a fairly large lake, and in those days there were very, very few houses or cottages around the lake. Most of the houses that existed were about two miles away at the other end of the lake. There was no electricity at our end of the lake, so we used oil lamps.

I often think of nights when I was out in a boat on that lake, with maybe one dim light visible on the shore. You could lie back in the boat and look up at God's astonishing creation laid out before you without any light contamination. It was breathtaking and humbling. I sometimes wonder whether or not the hubris I see increasing in our society is at least partly caused by our growing inability to have experiences like that with the night sky so that the truth of our insignificance becomes something more than an abstraction.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:00:03 AM by RSL » Logged

WalterEG

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »
ReplyReply

The sad truth, eloquently put RSL.
Isaac

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 06:27:22 PM »
ReplyReply

I sometimes wonder whether or not the hubris I see increasing in our society is at least partly caused by our growing inability to have experiences like that with the night sky so that the truth of our insignificance becomes something more than an abstraction.

How could we actually find out whether hubris is increasing or decreasing in our society?
RSL

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 09:24:06 AM »
ReplyReply

By living long enough to observe it, Isaac. There's more than one kind of hubris. In the long run, hubris in a society is more dangerous than hubris in a dictator like Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Castro, Kim. . . Eventually the dictator dies or is overthrown but a hubristic society advances boldly and blindly into catastrophe.

Isaac

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »
ReplyReply

By living long enough to observe it

To observe what? What actual events do you observe and identify as hubris?
RSL

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 06:42:39 AM »
ReplyReply

Sorry Isaac, but if you have to ask a question like that you must be very young or very unobservant.

Isaac

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »
ReplyReply

No, just hopeful that you might choose to rise above Golden Age rhetoric.
Isaac

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »
ReplyReply

At least this guy came up with an original idea, plus a very cool and elaborate execution.

Exactly.
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad