Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 [3]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: MF film and Digital Back Forum  (Read 4366 times)
Schewe

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm not trying to step on the moderators toes or deny anyone an open forum.

Actually, yes you are. You are trying to dictate the form and function of the subforum (this one) to your own desires...fact is, even if a new forum was created, it would still behave like this one unless: somebody banned certain members from posting (ain't gonna happen) or had the moderators (read Mike & Chris) heavily moderate the subforum (ain't gonna happen).

If you aren't happy with the way LuLa is run, ask for your money back–oh, wait, you didn't pay anything to come here...

Let's see, you've been a registered user here for about 6 months and have 42 posts? Sorry, I'm not sure you really have the seniority to be so critical. Read, don't read...post, don't post–that's all you can personally control here on LuLa. (unless you have certain friends North of the border)
Paul Ozzello

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 02:22:24 PM »
ReplyReply

You are welcome Paul.  I enjoy your work as well.  And my question to you would be when you shoot MFD B&W,  do you use a digital zone system? How often do you print your B&Ws?  I ask because you have a very strong sense of monochrome and your images are very nice.

regards,
Jeffery

Hi Jeffery,

I'm glad you like my work and appreciate the positive feedback Smiley I'm a bit of a dinosaur and still shoot film (gulp)... I tried the zone system and loading several backs for different development times but I prefer keeping it simple and use an incident light meter (and bracket for tricky lighting). I have years of darkroom experience but currently scan my negs with an old Epson flatbed and print with a Canon Pro 9000 (the first version) in grayscale mode and the combination is surprisingly good for  prints up to A3+ (and it's also quite affordable). I'm trying to change careers to work full time as a photographer making fine art prints and am preparing a series of 40" images of my work. The equipment needed for those large prints is above my means so I'm working with a custom printer in San Francisco (Eiger Studios - I plug Lenny Eiger whenever I can because his drum scans are outstanding, and he's a really nice guy). Unfortunately I haven't gone very far with the prints yet because I spend a lot of my time taking care of my dying father... Lenny uses a Roland printer with a custom inkset based on the ones from Piezography and the results are spectacular.

I'm not sure what you mean by the digital zone system ? When I shoot digital I usually ETTR...

Paul

TMARK

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »
ReplyReply

I didn't mind the "critical of MFD" posts at first, as there was lots of Kool Aid being consumed regarding MFD's SUPERIORITY. At the base of all of the criticism there is some truth.  Then it got WAY out of hand.  Way Way out of hand.  Criticism beyond reason. 

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »
ReplyReply

I didn't mind the "critical of MFD" posts at first, as there was lots of Kool Aid being consumed regarding MFD's SUPERIORITY. At the base of all of the criticism there is some truth.  Then it got WAY out of hand.  Way Way out of hand.  Criticism beyond reason. 

I've come across this thing before here: what is Kool Aid and what's its property? I simply don't get the references...

Rob C

Doug Peterson

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »
ReplyReply

I've come across this thing before here: what is Kool Aid and what's its property? I simply don't get the references...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

DOUG PETERSON (dep@digitaltransitions.com), Digital Transitions
Dealer for Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Profoto
Office: 877.367.8537
Cell: 740.707.2183
Phase One IQ250 FAQ
Doug Peterson

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2013, 04:36:03 PM »
ReplyReply

Debate is not the same as a diatribe.

Criticism is not the same as a witch hunt.

Information is not the same as misinformation.

I welcome debate, criticism, and information — regardless of format.

I despise diatribes, witch hunts, and misinformation — regardless of format.

DOUG PETERSON (dep@digitaltransitions.com), Digital Transitions
Dealer for Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Profoto
Office: 877.367.8537
Cell: 740.707.2183
Phase One IQ250 FAQ
eronald

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2013, 05:17:09 PM »
ReplyReply

See? Again this hateful behavior - somebody is airing a perfectly understandable gripe about the forum members and Nikon and equipment nerds, some juicy character assassination is done with the required vim and vinegar, and then BANG - comes Paul and suddenly it's all about actual images and real world technique. Yuck, can't even have a decent trollfight in this forum without getting bit in the ass by working artists Smiley

Edmund

Thanks for the props Jeffery  Wink

Some new images from a recent trip to NYC

Paul
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:19:44 PM by eronald » Logged
Chris Barrett

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2013, 05:36:22 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm working with a custom printer in San Francisco (Eiger Studios - I plug Lenny Eiger whenever I can because his drum scans are outstanding, and he's a really nice guy). Unfortunately I haven't gone very far with the prints yet because I spend a lot of my time taking care of my dying father... Lenny uses a Roland printer with a custom inkset based on the ones from Piezography and the results are spectacular.

Paul

Crazy, Lenny and I used to chat all the time back when I was in the market for a drum scanner.  He was so helpful and informative.  I was also doing Piezography at the time.  The all carbon inkset makes damn beautiful prints.  I ended up buying a refurbished Howtek 4500, nothing else I tried (including the Imacons) could do black and white negs right.  That beast churned out some beautiful images.  These two series were all scanned on it from 35mm Tri-X

Street Work
More Street Work

CB
Jeffery Salter

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2013, 07:16:04 PM »
ReplyReply

Actually, yes you are. You are trying to dictate the form and function of the subforum (this one) to your own desires

Thank you I appreciate your thoughts.   Perhaps if you like you can PM me exactly what you mean by "form and function of the sub forum" 

If you aren't happy with the way LuLa is run, ask for your money back–oh, wait, you didn't pay anything to come here...

Hmmm do you mean....Not in my backyard? Or love it or leave it?  I apologize I didn't know it was required to have 4200 posts before you could post.  How does one go from 42 to 4200 posts without posting?

Sorry, I'm not sure you really have the seniority to be so critical.

Really?  It's critical to Lu-La to express the thought that it might be  a good idea to have a topic or forum section or sub forum or space where to quote another poster "is devoted to those who use, like and want to learn more from others who use, like and want to share about MFD."

Luminous Landscape is a valuable resource to many photography lovers both pro and enthusiasts.

Regards,
Jeffery

Jeffery Salter
___________________________________________________________________________________
www.jefferysalter.com

Loving life one frame at a time.
bcroslin

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2013, 07:31:29 PM »
ReplyReply

Jeffrey!

If you had just stuck with Diana cameras and film think of all the time you would have saved reading the responses of pixel peepers who's biggest issue is whether they should photograph the lens chart instead of the mailbox.

Joking aside - this forum has a pretty high signal to noise ratio but occasionally someone posts something invaluable. You just have to be willing to sift through the garbage. I  just lurk these days as I no longer have skin in the game (sold my P45+ 2 years ago) but I've always found there to be some really helpful people on Lu-La. What keeps me coming back is seeing photographers like you pop up here from time to time. It means these forums are still relevant.

You're work is awesome as always. Hope you're well.

Bob

Bob Croslin, Photographer
http://www.bobcroslin.com
Jeffery Salter

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2013, 07:32:03 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi Paul,

I was curious about your digital/film/bw workflow.  Thanks for sharing. I rarely shoot with the idea of a B/W print or output.  I really appreciate a finely crafted B/W print.  My question about digital zone system was perhaps not the right question.  Some photographers inherently pick the right subjects, with textures, tone and contrast which will convert beautifully to B&W. I can clearly see that's what you do.

Thanks for sharing the information about your printer.  In Miami we have a master printer named Randy Mitchell who has printed for Helmut Newton and many other high fashion photographers.

My best in regards to your father.

Jeffery

Jeffery Salter
___________________________________________________________________________________
www.jefferysalter.com

Jeffery Salter

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks Bob.  Love your stuff.   Now I know why I never get in gigs in Tampa anymore!

regards,
Jeffery

Jeffery Salter
www.jefferysalter.com

Schewe

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Really?  It's critical to Lu-La to express the thought that it might be  a good idea to have a topic or forum section or sub forum or space where to quote another poster "is devoted to those who use, like and want to learn more from others who use, like and want to share about MFD."

Check the forum you are posting in...it's name is Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography. The fact that YOU don't think it's large format enough says a lot more about you than the forum (think elitist?). What you are trying to do (with now your 45th post) is to try to control what is, Mike's house...you know, Michael Reichmann the guy that hosts this site? You don't sit down in Mike's living room and fart (by complaining about the organization of the forums) and not expect some people who have been here a while taking umbrage?

Look, all ya gotta do is be a bit selective...selective in the threads you start or post to. It's far easier to control your own actions than the actions of others. You want to start a thread about topics you are interested in? Do so... Bitching about the forums or the behavior of others here is less useful.

You don't like it here, start your own forum and play dictator there. Don't come here and try to dictate, it doesn't go over too well, ya know?
Jeffery Salter

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2013, 08:53:09 PM »
ReplyReply

Check the forum you are posting in...it's name is Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography. The fact that YOU don't think it's large format enough says a lot more about you than the forum (think elitist?). What you are trying to do (with now your 45th post) is to try to control what is, Mike's house...you know, Michael Reichmann the guy that hosts this site? You don't sit down in Mike's living room and fart (by complaining about the organization of the forums) and not expect some people who have been here a while taking umbrage?

Look, all ya gotta do is be a bit selective...selective in the threads you start or post to. It's far easier to control your own actions than the actions of others. You want to start a thread about topics you are interested in? Do so... Bitching about the forums or the behavior of others here is less useful.

You don't like it here, start your own forum and play dictator there. Don't come here and try to dictate, it doesn't go over too well, ya know?

I believe you believe that.

Thank you for your thoughts.

regards,
Jeffery

Jeffery Salter
www.jefferysalter.com

Paul Ozzello

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »
ReplyReply

See? Again this hateful behavior - somebody is airing a perfectly understandable gripe about the forum members and Nikon and equipment nerds, some juicy character assassination is done with the required vim and vinegar, and then BANG - comes Paul and suddenly it's all about actual images and real world technique. Yuck, can't even have a decent trollfight in this forum without getting bit in the ass by working artists Smiley

Edmund

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRom-BYrAGI

LOL Edmund, LOL Wink

michael
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2013, 10:14:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Goodnight Gracie.

Michael
Pages: « 1 2 [3]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to: