Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Twelve apostles  (Read 495 times)
FranciscoDisilvestro

« on: April 12, 2013, 11:20:17 AM »
ReplyReply

Well, there are thousand of photos of this iconinc place and when I got there the light was not really great. It was a cloudy, hazy day so it was really flat looking.

I decided to go with a long exposure for the effect in the water and then post process in B&W

I'll appreciate your comments and critiques,
Thanks for watching

David Eckels

Paris sidewalk cafe

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 11:31:41 AM »
ReplyReply

I like what you've done very much. The band of darker sky at the top is a bit disconcerting, but I don't know what you had to work with in the frame. I've been in similar situations and made similar decisions. Haven't seen this elsewhere but it is a beautiful spot; where is it? Oh, forget it, I can Google it! Embarrassed

FranciscoDisilvestro

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »
ReplyReply

David,

Thank you for your comments. Sorry I forgot about the location. This place is in the south coast of Australia, west of Melbourne (Victoria).

About the band of darker sky: It is a strip of darker clouds and I thought it could serve as a frame to the image (there is no cropping in the image, its framed as shot) Do you think it would have worked better without it?

Regards,

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Yes, every aspirant landscape photographer in Australia has shot the Twelve Apostles, or wants to.
It is an iconic location in Australia, just like Uluru, that for practical purposes is non-discretionary for landscape photographers.
Sadly, one of the twelve stacks collapsed recently so only eleven are left.

I don't know if Francisco has the opportunity to shoot there again but if I lived in Melbourne I would be out there every other weekend until I nailed a great shot.
He has done a good job, given the conditions at the time, but one often gets absolutely magical light at that location.

Tony Jay
David Eckels

Paris sidewalk cafe

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 05:16:06 PM »
ReplyReply

Francisco,
Forgive me, please, I save the jpeg and used a few content-aware fills to remove that top darker band. Not a good job, just wanted to see. I think it is your preference that is important, so go with your gut.
I have to get there, Tony, keeping your comments viz the light in mind...I can see the photo title: And then there were eleven apostles. Haven't been to Australia for many years; way too long!

FranciscoDisilvestro

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 07:35:10 PM »
ReplyReply

Tony: Thanks for your comments. Yes, I will definetly go back. (not able to do it every weekend Smiley).
I have seen a lot of images with "magic" light but it was not there a couple of days ago.

David: No worries, I appreciate your feedback. That's why I posted in the user critiques forum. I see your point, still I haven't decided yet which version I prefer yet.

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad