Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: LR 5 Public Beta is live.  (Read 26278 times)
CatOne

« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2013, 08:53:02 PM »
ReplyReply

This was the sort of info I was looking for. I'm not against change per se, but want a good reason for doing so. If moving to 10.8 has actual benefits insofar as working with LR5, then I'm prepared to move my anticipated upgrade to sooner rather than later. Thinking about picking up the 10.8.4 download to check out on my i7 MBP.

The biggest reason to upgrade your OS (if you don't really care about the shiny new end-user features) is when the applications you rely on require you to upgrade the OS, honestly.  With OS X especially, each of the last 4-5 releases has reworked a number of things under the hood that allow application developers to make better, faster, more stable software.  Once developers start leveraging that, they can only support back to the OS version that includes that API.

For developers, they're forced with a choice: If they're to support older OS versions they have to have a more complex code base, and often duplicate a lot of the functionality that Apple offers, or they can just use Apple's APIs and cut off older customers.  "Typical" for many developers is to support a couple versions of OS X; some are still supporting 3 (10.8, 10.7, 10.6).  With a new version expected to be announced at WWDC I'd expect that more folks will start cutting off 10.6 support over the next few months, as Adobe has done with Lightroom.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2013, 09:28:12 PM »
ReplyReply

Well, have been trying to download 10.8.3 for over an hour now. Most of that has been just trying to pay for the bloody thing. I haven't purchased anything from Apple in a year or so and this is my first app purchase, seems they don't like that. New corporate culture thrives on complete obedience. Another problem was that I use a password generator, which won't work with Apple. Guess they don't like too much security.

As of now, the itunes store shows the 10.8.3 page with a box under the kitty picture saying "downloading". There's no temp file on the desktop or any other indication that anything is happening. Usually a pane pops up showing progress during a download.

Yep, it just gets easier and better all the time.
mac_paolo

« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2013, 02:16:23 AM »
ReplyReply

Well, have been trying to download 10.8.3 for over an hour now. Most of that has been just trying to pay for the bloody thing. I haven't purchased anything from Apple in a year or so and this is my first app purchase, seems they don't like that. New corporate culture thrives on complete obedience. Another problem was that I use a password generator, which won't work with Apple. Guess they don't like too much security.

As of now, the itunes store shows the 10.8.3 page with a box under the kitty picture saying "downloading". There's no temp file on the desktop or any other indication that anything is happening. Usually a pane pops up showing progress during a download.

Yep, it just gets easier and better all the time.
Why this rant? Because you had to pay for an upgrade even if you managed to pay nothing in more than a year?
I may be useful to stress that OS X is the cheapest upgrade among the non open source OS's. Did you know that?

1) Apple takes security seriously. Every password generation field has a key on the side, which open a password generation app. Plus OS X/iOS support 1Password which is THE ecosystem to manage passwords and private data. What are you talking about?
2) Under App Store app you can see the progress for each downloaded app. OS's too.
3) There is a temp file, obviously, and you can have another progress indication opening Launchpad. Both visual and textual.

"New corporate culture thrives on complete obedience."
Was this rant worth it?  Roll Eyes
Schewe

« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2013, 02:33:08 AM »
ReplyReply

Was this rant worth it?  Roll Eyes

No....
Peter Thomson

« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2013, 04:46:20 AM »
ReplyReply

If I save DNG Smart Previews is there any benefit in having larger than Minimal previews on import?
I don't use 1:1 Previews on import to save disk space (>200GB of images). Lr 5 seems to load quickly
from the lossy DNGs.
john beardsworth

« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2013, 05:09:49 AM »
ReplyReply

Smart previews and those minimal previews do separate things. The smart previews become useful only once the originals are unavailable.

mac_paolo

« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2013, 10:36:19 AM »
ReplyReply

If I save DNG Smart Previews is there any benefit in having larger than Minimal previews on import?
I don't use 1:1 Previews on import to save disk space (>200GB of images). Lr 5 seems to load quickly
from the lossy DNGs.
1:1 previews are -the- way to quickly compare shots by keeping the sharpest ones. Rendered JPG versions, fully baked, for viewing only.
Smart Previews are mean to work quickly and/or in offline mode. They are a midpoint between a Raw and a JPG, lower res, meant for editing.

Minimal previews are good to actually show something on Grid view, but as soon as you'll be starting any edit, Lightroom will generate a standard preview no matter what.
digitaldog

« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2013, 11:03:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Minimal previews are good to actually show something on Grid view, but as soon as you'll be starting any edit....

What about 1:1 in Library?

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
mac_paolo

« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
ReplyReply

What about 1:1 in Library?
Andrew, can't understand what are you asking me
Paolo
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Top of Page
Print