Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: LR 5 Public Beta is live.  (Read 24511 times)
Morris Taub

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2013, 03:31:29 AM »
ReplyReply

Actually, running the LR5 beta was the reason I upgraded my MacPro Tower to Lion...(but not 10.8 yet). I've found no issues and it seems as many things are smoother and a bit faster with 10.7 than 10.6 (which I still have as a dual boot partition).

So, I'm glad I updated to 10.7 and LR5 was the reason.

Hi Jeff, can you please point me to an explanation/how to on dual boot partition. Sounds like that might work for me if I want to upgrade to LR5. I have a bit of software that I want to keep using and it won't work past 10.6.8 (spectraview II for my old but still fine 2690wuxi). I'll have to dig around as well to see if I can upgrade to 10.7 instead of 10.8. All they show on the apple site is 10.8.

thanks kindly...

jjj

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2013, 04:16:20 AM »
ReplyReply

Use disk manager to partition your HD into two drives and then when installing your new OS tell it to install in the new partition.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
flaata

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2013, 04:58:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

I believe I remember some hinting about panoramic stitching in the Advanced Guide to Lightroom 4 series. :-) Is the LR 5 feature complete? Or have they saved some good bits for the final release?

Cheers,

Tor Olav
richarddd

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2013, 05:04:47 AM »
ReplyReply

Not sure what you mean. You paint in the area you want to disappear, then choose the area with the same shape you want to replace it. Lightroom makes an automatic selection of that area, but not always very well, so you can move it.
The CS6 spot healing brush does not require a replacement area. The LR5 implementation is an improvement over older version, both in the ability to paint and, it seems, in the implementation algorithms, but it's not as good as the CS6 spot healing brush. The LR5 version is closer to the CS6 healing brush than the CS6 spot healing brush. Perhaps the difference is CS6's content aware technology.

John Cothron

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2013, 06:12:46 AM »
ReplyReply

Hmmm....no reports yet about speed issues. Are you guys REALLY  testing it?  Wink Grin

I haven't run into any, although I ran into very few with Lr4 so I may not be a good judge.  It does seem a little more speedy when healing dust spots.

dreed

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2013, 07:14:54 AM »
ReplyReply

Looking forward to trying out "Upright". The sample picture of the beach volleyball court is making me wonder about this a lot!
barryfitzgerald

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2013, 07:23:38 AM »
ReplyReply

I'll have to download this to try it. I didn't expect a lot of updated features (getting hard to do we have most stuff covered)
I hope the performance is better, LR4 isn't that fast even on fairly meaty pc hardware it's the no. 1 area for improvement IMO

dreed

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2013, 08:08:18 AM »
ReplyReply

This is a picture I took last year that has become my "cornerstone" of vertical/horizontal perspective correction.

The first picture, "church-off" is with the "Upright" feature off.

The second picture, "church-dxo8" is using DxO 8's perspective correction where I define 4 corners of a trapezoid. This is my basis for comparison.

The next post will show the output from "Upright".
bjanes

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2013, 08:13:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi all,

when trying to create a new catalog, Lr 5ß 1 crashes   Sad.

OS is Windows 8 64-bit with all MS fixes applied.

Lr 4.4 runs great.

Robert

Robert,

I installed the beta on my Windows 8 64 bit machine and it seems to work fine on preliminary testing. A new catalog was created with no problems. This shows that it can work with Win8.

Bill
dreed

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2013, 08:16:40 AM »
ReplyReply

These four images show the respective output from the "Upright" panel with each of the settings turned on.

"full" - I think LR has lost the plot.
"auto" - looks like a cropped "level"
"level" - appears to have tried to balance the tree tilts
"vertical" - well, one edge of the building is vertical.

Happy to provide full sized image if it will help improve the algorithms used here.
john beardsworth

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2013, 08:19:20 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: stamper
Hmmm....no reports yet about speed issues. Are you guys REALLY  testing it?  Wink Grin

I haven't run into any, although I ran into very few with Lr4 so I may not be a good judge.  It does seem a little more speedy when healing dust spots.

Take a look at the smart previews feature. Select some images which have smart previews generated, then rename the images' folder in Explorer/Finder. Lightroom 5 will now use the smart preview for adjustments, which should be much faster because the raw data in now much smaller. Afterwards, return the folder to its correct name.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:21:50 AM by johnbeardy » Logged

stamper

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »
ReplyReply

These four images show the respective output from the "Upright" panel with each of the settings turned on.

"full" - I think LR has lost the plot.
"
I agree with your statement. Something Adobe will need to look at?

JRSmit

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2013, 09:13:49 AM »
ReplyReply

Hmmm....no reports yet about speed issues. Are you guys REALLY  testing it?  Wink Grin
I downloaded it last night on a rather old dual-core AMD Thunderbird platform with W7-64bit. With LR4 this is quite slow. I imported a couple of D800 nef's to give it a quick try before going to bed. The import was amazingly quick. So i doublechecked this morning if it really were those 75MB nef files from the D800, yes they are. So far it is quite fast, also have experenced a couple of crashes or hang-up's so i will not install it on my production environment, but will do on my test environment (previous production environment) this evening.
Played a bit with the smart healing on portraits, and that too works fast en quite well i must say. The only issue i found, but has little to do with the functionality, is that if you have shallow depth of field it picks a part to use for the healing that is in the unsharp regions, thus a mismatch for healing  spot in the shapr region.

Fine art photography: www.janrsmit.com
Courses and workshops: www.centrumbeeldbeleving.nl

Jan R. Smit
stamper

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »
ReplyReply

No issue creating a new catalog in Win 7 64

Likewise.

digitaldog

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2013, 09:21:55 AM »
ReplyReply

It's par for the course that speed optimization takes place towards the very end of a beta cycle. IOW, if anything feel's sluggish, don't dismiss this as what the final version may feel like. Of course if you find something really slow, file a report.

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
PeterAit

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2013, 09:32:31 AM »
ReplyReply

Hello Peter,

I think it's pretty simple.  We both "pay" for the software.  Personally, I'd rather pay for something I might have had a small part in making better and/or more suitable for my own selfish needs vs. paying for well.. you get what you get.  I don't think I'm getting cheated, I've written plenty of code in my life... and I'm paying for the nicety of not having too.  Of course, opinions vary. 

Regards,

John

Good point, John - I was being too harsh.

Peter
"Photographic technique is a means to an end, never the end itself."
View my photos at http://www.peteraitken.com
Adam L

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2013, 09:57:12 AM »
ReplyReply

The LR journal says that the beta is not a full version release.   I'm sure they've just included the pieces where they feel additional testing is helpful.

Given the hints on the last LR tutorial and the delay in Jeff's Printing book I am expecting to see more functionality added at final release.   HDR, Stitching, and some type of enhancement to the print section seem to be reasonable guesses at this point.   Is two months of beta testing the average turnaround for Adobe?

Me, I am wishing for Sigma DPxM raw support. 

"That's a lot of money to move a few pixels around"
stamper

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »
ReplyReply

I am expecting to see more functionality added at final release.   HDR, Stitching,

I would definitely disagree with that. Roll Eyes

richarddd

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2013, 10:30:27 AM »
ReplyReply

Did they add new features after releasing public betas for prior versions of LR?

Adam L

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »
ReplyReply

The journal site has this sentence:

IMPORTANT NOTES, PLEASE READ
Primary Known Issues
■Lightroom 5 beta is not complete but please provide feedback on the available enhancements.

so it's not unreasonable to expect that there is more to come.   My suggestions above are just speculation but they are based on various comments over the past year.

We currently have to round trip to CS6 for HDR but the raw pipeline and process 2012 was built with HDR in mind.  If CS6 is just doing the layering and alignment it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to see it in this release.  Stitching and Stacked focus have to be on the near horizon too.  Excellent, I just noticed this:   Tongue

Grin

"That's a lot of money to move a few pixels around"
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad