Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: The Family Homestead, ca. 1886  (Read 542 times)
Chris Calohan

Editing Allowed

« on: April 21, 2013, 09:00:32 PM »
ReplyReply

What! Me Worry?

Life is about a little kid driving a Mini...
Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 07:25:06 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm curious about where this was taken.  Coastal S. Carolina or Georgia I would guess, perhaps even on one of the sea islands.  It could also be Fla. panhandle, I suppose.  I'm also curious as to why only one hurricane shutter for each window.

Lovely picture, though I would have expected harsher light most of the day.

Thanks,
     Dale

A modest man, with much to be modest about
Chris Calohan

Editing Allowed

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 07:29:48 AM »
ReplyReply

28.943303,-81.340279 (Google Maps) This is very typical of houses of that era throughout the southeastern United States. My great grandmother's house looked quite similar which is why I made the shot as hers was lost to a great fire about 20 years ago. Many houses of this era had two stories and large, wide open porches with rooms which allowed an easy flow of air through them. It was widely believed, though quite erroneously, mosquitoes wouldn't fly higher than 12 feet, thus all sleeping quarters were on the second floor. It made for a long trip to the outhouse on cold nights.

What! Me Worry?

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 07:52:49 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for the coordinates.  No long trips to the outhouse.  A smelly chamber pot instead, for those with decent aim.  Near the sea, the second floor would get the sea breeze, otherwise attenuated by ground vegetation.  Cooler and fewer mosquitoes.

Again, Thanks
Dale

PS:  checked the location.  I was close, but no cigar.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:58:54 AM by Dale Villeponteaux » Logged

A modest man, with much to be modest about
Chris Calohan

Editing Allowed

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 08:03:37 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm curious about where this was taken.  Coastal S. Carolina or Georgia I would guess, perhaps even on one of the sea islands.  It could also be Fla. panhandle, I suppose.  I'm also curious as to why only one hurricane shutter for each window.

Lovely picture, though I would have expected harsher light most of the day.

Thanks,
     Dale

I worked the B&W quite a bit to lose the harsher light, though in all fairness it was what I would call overcast/bright. As to the one shutter per I have no clue.. I have two per window on my house. This house is close enough to the Atlantic Ocean to get some of that cherished sea breeze.

What! Me Worry?

MTGFender

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »
ReplyReply

Very beautiful! The tree is gorgeous. Pramote
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad