Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Welcome to the CSC Forum  (Read 5831 times)
Telecaster

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
ReplyReply

Speaking of infrared...yesterday I did some experimenting with my Oly OM-D5, Voigtlander 17.5mm lens and a 720nm filter. With the lens wide open, and even at f/1.4, I was able to shoot handheld without needing to crank up the ISO too much. Got a nice, grainy effect but with detail preserved too.  No hotspots visible. With a custom white balance the JPEG tones (I'm currently not processing the RAWs) were impressively neutral. I'd been considering getting a body strictly for IR but now I don't think I'll bother.

One of the cool features of the M43 system is the ability to get enough DOF to cover 3D subject matter with really fast lenses used wide open.

-Dave-
MrIconoclast

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for starting this forum.  I just switched from my bigger DSLR system to an m4/3 system.  I found that my photographic needs have changed and I was no longer willing to lug around the DSLR gear, as good at it was. The gear was getting in the way of my photography and my enjoyment of being an amateur photographer.  With the introduction of the Olympus EM-5, PL5, and PM2, we have a sensor that is at least as good as those in my 2 year old DSLR.  I can make great 20x24 prints from that DSLR and now I can do the same from my m4/3 system.   
slothead

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2013, 09:25:51 AM »
ReplyReply

Wow!  I'm really glad to see this subforum here (I guess we call it a subforum)!  I jumped the Nikon FF ship about 3 months ago, but not before acquiring an Oly OM-D E-M5 and a minimal set of lenses to introduce myself to compact systems.  Since that time I have acquired an Oly E-PL5 as a back-up body (and am in the process of selling it because...) I then found a terrific offer on another OM-D.  So I now have two OM-Ds and a fairly complete set of lenses I think appropriate enough for landscaping.

I have already started equipping myself with IR resources (filters and lenses), and have gotten some panos, and have experimented with some methods not previously considered with the D700 or D800.  I have to admit however I have retained my IR-converted Nikon D5000 since I had invested in that set-up (If I can replicate its products with unconverted Olympus micros I may let it go too - so far that hasn't proven to be true - but I'm still working at it).

My only concern is that the Micro 4/3 industry is not continuing to introduce an expanding lens line-up.  I hope that is not a harbinger of the future of the Micro 4/3 system.

The bottom line is that I am still very happy with what I have to work with and am continuing to learn more about it and its advantages and peculiarities.

I will be anxious to see this subforum expand with interest!

Tom

Tom
Nikon D800, Oly OM-D E-M5, Oly E-P2IR
and an assortment of lenses, adapters and tripods
Herbc

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »
ReplyReply

I am considering sending a NEX 7 off to get it converted to IR.  In the past, I have had all my IR gear to use 720nm, which produces pretty much b/w.  The galleries and museums seem to like that, although I have never tried the 650nm or lower filters.

How difficult is it to go to pure b/w when you have one of these 600 +,-, cameras?

Not a big fan of the color IR, but would not mind trying it out.
Pages: « 1 [2]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad