Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 [3]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Leica teasing a "mini M"  (Read 8786 times)
TMARK

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 10:39:45 PM »
ReplyReply

Irrelevant in the target market; from a Hong Kong Leica dealer: http://leica-users.org/leica-users/v52/msg08754.html

The X Vario is perfect for the 'hers' side of a his-and-hers set.

In the west luxury consumption is a flat or declining market. It may seem hard to believe, but it's part of the Great Recession's hangover. People would rather spend on cultural goods or low key, utilitarian, honest, quality goods with a transparent manufacturing and supply chain.  In China conspicuous consumption is still in vogue, and will be for some time. 

I say have at it Leica. Sell cases of these things, spend the profits on M and S development.
LKaven

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 11:18:20 PM »
ReplyReply

I wonder why they are peddling the same line in the west?  It seems they would be risking putting many of us off the brand.  I'll always have a certain suspicion about them.

Have you ever heard of the term "costly signaling"?  It refers to the expenditure of one's evolutionary advantage in measure to signal to another animal that you have fitness to spare.  For example, there is a gazelle that makes a display of jumping up and down in front of a lion, expending some of his valuable energy.  The intent is to signal to the lion that he has enough fitness to spare that he wouldn't be worth the lion's effort. 

LKaven

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 05:02:57 AM »
ReplyReply

BTW, has anyone noticed that the leather case for the X-Vario has a conspicuous cutout in just one place -- over the red dot.

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 07:24:57 AM »
ReplyReply

BTW, has anyone noticed that the leather case for the X-Vario has a conspicuous cutout in just one place -- over the red dot.

Ah! The male version of crotchless knickers!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 10:43:41 AM »
ReplyReply

There were no cut-outs required in my day: we wore our hearts on our sleeves. This old thing must be about forty-five years old now, and it took me all over the world - at least, where I wanted to go - and within it could live all the analogue tools I ever needed to shoot a shoot. I'm reminded of Cooter's three trucks and I thank my lucky stars I'm one of the ancients!

Okay, the tripod travelled hold.

;-)

Rob C

Hulyss

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »
ReplyReply

Already for sale in my Leica Store, what a junk lol

Kind Regards - www.hulyssbowman.com
stevesanacore

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 08:02:41 AM »
ReplyReply

I'd love to see a comparison of this camera with the Canon G1X - they seem very close in specs and Canon's G series have always been popular with pros for a pocket camera. Then of course are the fabulous M4/3 cameras which are small and very high quality.

What a silly step backwards for Leica in the professionals eye. A real mini M would have been fantastic!

We don't know what we don't know.
BJL

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »
ReplyReply

I'd love to see a comparison of this camera with the Canon G1X - they seem very close in specs and Canon's G series have always been popular with pros for a pocket camera.
Given how big and heavy the X Vario is as fixed lens cameras go, I would also suggest comparing it to the Sony NEX-6 with 18-55/3.5-5.6 lens attatched: this X Vario probably uses the same 16MP Sony sensor, has a slightly slower lens of more limited zoom range, weighs about 130g more, is slightly wider and higher, lacks a built-in EVF ... and ironically, it is the NEX-6 that could be used with Leica M lenses. The Fujifilm X-E1 with its 18-55/2.8-4 is also of similar weight, size and sensor specs.

That Leica lens better be stunningly good, because it effectively adds about US$2000 to the price when you compare the rest of the body to comparable CSC bodies like the NEX-6 or Fujifilm X-E1.

At least you can get the add-on EVF for $200 instead of the list price of $500 -- by using instead the Olympus VF-2.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:54:22 AM by BJL » Logged
TMARK

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »
ReplyReply

Regarding the Western market for the "Mini M", I had dinner with the head of marketing for a large Fortune 500 company.  She is mid to late 50s, makes $3M a year before stock options (according to SEC filings), has very good taste.  We were talking cameras, and she said she intended to get this Mini M to replace her M8.2.  Why?  The M8.2 doesn't have a zoom, is not AF, and can't shoot from the screen, and is complicated to use when she wants to simply take a snap shot.

Note price never entered the conversation.  The message I received is that she wants RX100 auto flexibility in an M-Like metal box, with a Red Dot.  

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:38:03 AM by TMARK » Logged
Petrus

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »
ReplyReply

For 3 grand they sell the heck out of these (at least in Leica terms) and how many people shoot any leica wide open?

IMO

BC

Now everybody has to...
Pages: « 1 2 [3]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad