Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: How do I shut off the screen on my iMac without shutting off the computer?  (Read 2987 times)
uintaangler

« on: June 10, 2013, 06:14:07 PM »
ReplyReply

If I hook up an NEC monitor as an external display- how do I get the monitor on my IMac to shut itself off - without me shutting the entire computer off
I will be using the NEC as my new display and there is no need to have the iMac running as it sits behind the new display where I can't see it anyway
Thanks,
Bob
digitaldog

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:22:01 PM »
ReplyReply

You could futz with Energy saver so the screen goes dark after a fixed time but I don't know you can totally power it down as you can with the external. I too have an NEC and when I'm not using it, but have other stuff going on (backing up, uploading files) I just turn it off using the blue switch in front. FWIW, I found it uses about 110 watts while on (PA271).

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
KirbyKrieger

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:32:28 PM »
ReplyReply

If I hook up an NEC monitor as an external display- how do I get the monitor on my IMac to shut itself off - without me shutting the entire computer off
I will be using the NEC as my new display and there is no need to have the iMac running as it sits behind the new display where I can't see it anyway
Thanks,
Bob

Afaik, Apple has never made this possible.  You can disconnect the display internally (and permanently), but there is no solution built into OS X that will dim or extinguish the iMac display while keeping the external monitor going.  Some recommend using the utility Shades.  Don't know anything about it.

John.Murray

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 09:42:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Switchrez

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad