Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: One more Daylily - new monochrome conversion technique  (Read 577 times)
Chris Calohan

Editing Allowed

« on: June 17, 2013, 09:26:58 AM »
ReplyReply

I've been experimenting with several ways to control the middle tones and have made some rather startling discoveries with SEP2 CEP2 and Channels as to how far you can un-direct a tonal range. This is my fist use of the technique.

"Sisters"

What! Me Worry?

Life is about a little kid driving a Mini...
amolitor

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »
ReplyReply

This, like the Dark Wonder shot, is quite lovely. In this one I am a bit set back by the conversion, though.

The actual light present is pretty clear here, but the conversion creates a bit of that "backlit" sensation, which conflicts with the rest of the picture. I *think* I see this as 99% dramatic color, but there's still a hint of confusion about the light.

There's also a little grubbiness on the petal at the 1 o'clock position. The boundary between the lighter regions further out (where the petal curls around out of sight) and the darker region inside of that is a little "digital" looking. It might just be how the thing looks, though.

- Andrew

My awesome blog about photography: http://photothunk.blogspot.com
David Eckels

Paris sidewalk cafe

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 05:52:17 PM »
ReplyReply

What about a square crop with the stamens at the top third line with a moderate post crop vignette. Ouch! Ooooo! Owww! Are those slings and arrows?! I think it is very striking as a B/W; leaves color to the imagination.
Edit update: I just saw "Dark Wonder" this are two of a very nice pair!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 05:58:34 PM by David Eckels » Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »
ReplyReply

This one is very nice, but to me, the Dark Wonder really knocks my socks off.

Eric M.

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Chris Calohan

Editing Allowed

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:14:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks everyone. It's going to be a hard one to beat...but I will try, ya know.

What! Me Worry?

PeterAit

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »
ReplyReply

With all due respect, that just looks weird. It is totally non-aesthetic IMHO, and looks "gimmicky." Sorry to be harsh, but that's my opinion.

Peter
"Photographic technique is a means to an end, never the end itself."
View my photos at http://www.peteraitken.com
Chris Calohan

Editing Allowed

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:00:15 PM »
ReplyReply

With all due respect, that just looks weird. It is totally non-aesthetic IMHO, and looks "gimmicky." Sorry to be harsh, but that's my opinion.

You haven't hurt my feelings but I am curious as to why you think it is non-aesthetic or looks gimmicky. The post was to explore a different way of making a B&W conversion so I picked an image that would be challenging from a color range conversion standpoint. This is the original color image to show you what I had to do to get where this image sits now...for me, it is quite successful on this point..

What! Me Worry?

David Eckels

Paris sidewalk cafe

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »
ReplyReply

For me, the color version is SO in your face and the B/W rendering allows me to focus on the shape of the parts of the flower, but Peter has terrific insights so I look forward to his "why?" answer.

petermfiore

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 03:01:35 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Chris,

Here is my take.

Chris Calohan

Editing Allowed

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 06:32:31 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks, Peter. I like the crop but I'd already done one with the deeper, richer tones and was trying to pull back on those a bit...but it is a good edit and worth contemplating. It would be nice to know the process you used so I can add it to my ever growing collection of techniques.

What! Me Worry?

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad