Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Display (and protect?) matte prints with no glass?  (Read 1604 times)
KirbyKrieger

« on: June 20, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »
ReplyReply

I don't like glass.  I don't like _any_ glass.  I like the way prints look.  I print matte, on regular matte papers, using an Epson Stylus Pro 3880 -- and then sold work gets put under glass which
 - changes the way the illusion of depth works
 - changes our perception of the surface
 - adds glare and reflection (even expensive non-glare non-reflective glass), which _really_ crushes the conduit between perception and appreciation, imho.

Is there any accepted procedure for printing and selling photographs to be displayed on walls that does _not_ rely on a suffocating layer of glass (or plastic)?

I have made arrangements with some people to simply replace the print at cost when it is damaged.  My current work uses a lot of darks, though, and the dark expanses are very easy to mar, bruise, scratch, and discolor with skin oils.

I want the protection of glass without glass.

Thanks.  This has rankled me since my very first print.

louoates

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 07:54:30 PM »
ReplyReply

I understand your concerns but the realities of the marketplace dictate providing a product 99% of customers expect. Like it or not, it's glass.
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:28:07 AM »
ReplyReply

It is annoying me that the photograph that looks best is the one that fell off the wall, broke the glass and was put back up without glass.
Dan Berg

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:39:09 PM »
ReplyReply

It's called canvas!
Looks as good if not better then matte papers and when properly varnished it is stunning.
It also sells!
If you do a search on this site on canvas printing you will find several hundred threads.

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 01:43:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Sorry but canvas has none of the appeal of a finely printed photograph on a quality mat paper.

Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Gittings
Architecture and Landscape Photography
WWW.GITTINGSPHOTO.COM

LIGHT+SPACE+STRUCTURE (blog)
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad