Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Head and tripod for mid format  (Read 3785 times)
cyron123

« on: July 03, 2013, 10:05:23 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi guys,
I am new in the mid format business and a ask me: what kind of heads and tripods do you use for your mid format system? Do you use gear heads for landscape?

Thank you.
Cyron
ErikKaffehr

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

Personally I use an Really Right Stuff Versa 3 series tripod and an Arca Swiss D4 geared head, I love them both.

Best regards
Erik

Hi guys,
I am new in the mid format business and a ask me: what kind of heads and tripods do you use for your mid format system? Do you use gear heads for landscape?

Thank you.
Cyron

design_freak

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
ReplyReply

I use arca swiss cube or monoball z + gitzo legs.
ball head or gear? it depends on your preferences. You can also look at "hybrid" head D4 from arca.
I have the legs-very old and heavy. I've never had problems with quality. These legs can be bought for very little money. But the heads really worth investing.

Best regards,
DF

-------------------------------------------
WORK HARD AND BE NICE TO PEOPLE
-------------------------------------------
Ed Foster, Jr.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »
ReplyReply

Cyron,

I use a series 3, carbon fibre Gitzo with the Arca-Swiss Z DP monoball and an Arca-Swiss D4 geared head. Both heads are really fine and work superbly with my medium format gear as well as 35mm with telephotos up to 300mm 2.8. I've had a variety of heads over a 40 year period, and the Arca-Swiss are the only ones I have been completely satisfied with.

Good Luck in your search,
Ed
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:28:23 AM by Ed Foster, Jr. » Logged

Ed Foster, Jr.
www.edfoster.net
Gigi

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:51:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Gitzo series 2 and Linhof Micro 3d. The recommendations from here may seem expensive, but its because most have gone through all the less expensive gear and found it lacking. Hard to swallow but true.

Geoff
ErikKaffehr

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 01:52:30 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

A lower cost alternative I did like was Velbon CF 630 and Acratech Ultimate ballhead. I also have Gitzo GT3541LS, but I feel that the RRS are much better made.

Best regards
Erik

Gitzo series 2 and Linhof Micro 3d. The recommendations from here may seem expensive, but its because most have gone through all the less expensive gear and found it lacking. Hard to swallow but true.

KLaban

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 02:18:53 PM »
ReplyReply

So much depends on the shooting conditions and or equipment used.

For the conditions I shoot in and my equipment - Hasselblad/Leica - I use a Gitzo 2 series carbon fibre tripod and an Arca Swiss P0 head, together with RRS and Arca Swiss QR L plates and plates. If I was shooting in windy conditions and using telephoto lenses I'd be using something else.

cyron123

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
ReplyReply

Hello everybody,

very intereseting that the most of you use geard heads! But not the cheap Manfrotto 410 or 405. Buy cheap buy twice?  Smiley
I am very excited to know what others use...
Thank you.
cyron
ErikKaffehr

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 02:42:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

I don't know. Manfrotto QR's are terrible but I know that "Heinar" makes an adapter so you can use Manfrotto geared heads with Arca QR plates.

The advantage with geared heads is precision, very valuable with long lenses.

Regarding legs I have not been impressed by Manfrotto and Gitzo. Velbon is nice, but not really high end. RRS smokes Gitzo, little question in my mind.

Best regards
Erik

Hello everybody,

very intereseting that the most of you use geard heads! But not the cheap Manfrotto 410 or 405. Buy cheap buy twice?  Smiley
Thank you.
cyron

jerome_m

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »
ReplyReply

While a geared head is convenient for a MF camera, it should be pointed out that MF cameras do not always require bigger/sturdier tripods and heads than 24x36 SLRs. They are not much heavier and, the ones which have a lens shutter produce less vibration when you use the mirror up function.

This being said, I just bought a Manfrotto 400 geared head myself (used), but I am not sure it was a good idea. It is quite heavy.
epines

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
ReplyReply

The Manfrotto 410 might be cheap(er) in price, but it's a well-made head. The gearing is precise and stable. And each gear / movement has a quick release so you can rotate/pan/tilt faster if you want.

Dustbak

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 03:25:43 PM »
ReplyReply

I use Gitzo legs (3540GT). For a ballhead I think the Burzynski head is the best there is. I recently replaced it with a Cube. I found the geared head suits my type of working better.
IanB

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 04:48:17 PM »
ReplyReply

Hello everybody,

Thank you.
cyron

I disagree with you here. I use a Manfrotto 410, and it's far and away the best head I've ever had. It replaced a Gitzo which was twice the price - and wobbled. I'd recommend a Manfrotto to almost anyone - it's very robust, and seems to be able to do almost anything. Biggest camera I've ever used on it was an RB67 - no problem, even though that's heavier than Manfrotto say the head is designed for. The QR is fine. I'd recommend one of these to almost anybody - I have found no drawbacks or limitations with it at all.
markmullen

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »
ReplyReply

I use Gitzo series 2 explorer carbon fibre legs and a 405 geared head, I also use a series 1 mountaineer with a 410 for jobs which require a lighter setup, flying, walking long distances etc.

Both my heads have Hejnar Arca Swiss conversions.
kdphotography

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 11:06:55 PM »
ReplyReply

I really like the RRS tripods----and opted for the TVC-24 with the Arca Swiss Cube.  A RRS quick release allows me to swap the Cube out quickly for other heads, or to use the Cube on other platforms.

ErikKaffehr

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 11:17:47 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

I essentially agree, unless shooting in windy conditions. Eliminating vibration reduces need of steady tripod.

Putting a heavy head and camera on a lightweight tripod makes it top heavy.

Best regards
Erik

While a geared head is convenient for a MF camera, it should be pointed out that MF cameras do not always require bigger/sturdier tripods and heads than 24x36 SLRs. They are not much heavier and, the ones which have a lens shutter produce less vibration when you use the mirror up function.

Ken R

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 01:01:33 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi guys,

Thank you.
Cyron

Hi, it all depends on what you are looking for. Generally the top manufacturers produce quality gear. So the choice is quite personal since everyone has different priorities in regards to size / weight, function and system.

I have three tripods and three heads. (Gitzo and RRS). I use the arca style plates and rrs panning clamps. I go with the light tripod for extended hikes, I use a series 2 for a lot of things but take the series 3 gitzo if I can most of the time. Its a 4 section and when extended its quite tall which helps in uneven terrain when one leg is further downhill than the others. The center column is also removable if desired. Over the years you hone your technique and you know what you like to have in your gear. Thankfully today there are many high quality choice and lot's of options.
Richard Naismith

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 02:07:16 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

I'm using a Gitzo 3531 LS with a Manfrotto 400 Geared Head. Both are very good, although the setup is heavy. I know the Cube is a better geared head, but the Manfrotto does the trick for me.

All the best.

Richard Naismith
David Watson

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 02:30:36 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi

I use a Rally Right Stuff 34L with an Arca Swiss Cube fitted with a RRS clamp.  My cameras all havecRRS L plates.  I also use an old Manfrotto studio tripod with a Manfrotto geared head when I have to use equipment which cannot be used with the L plates such as the Hasselblad HTS and the Stackshot.

David Watson ARPS
artobest

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 02:19:06 PM »
ReplyReply

Just to be different Cheesy, I use a Berlebach Report 2042. This is a nice German-made wooden tripod with a ball-and-socket mounted centre column that eliminates the need for a head about 90 percent of the time for me (mainly landscape or portrait work). A bit heavier than carbon-fibre, but the absence of a head partially makes up for that, and besides, it's sturdy, well-damped, relatively affordable and very good looking!

Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad