Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: the "stopstealingphotos" tumblr site is worth checking out. They name names!  (Read 10765 times)
Ellis Vener

« on: July 30, 2013, 08:30:04 PM »
ReplyReply

Just discovered this site today and if you're a photographer who actually works hard for each and every one of your photos and clients, you'll love it too: http://stopstealingphotos.tumblr.com/

Ellis Vener
http://www.ellisvener.com
Creating photographs for advertising, corporate and industrial clients since 1984.
langier

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:55:02 AM »
ReplyReply

The thieves are simply pathetic. Expose them for what they are and get them out of here.

Larry Angier
ASMP, NAPP, ACT, and many more!

Webmaster, RANGE magazine
Editor emeritus, NorCal Quarterly

web--http://www.angier-fox.photoshelter.com
facebook--larry.angier
twitter--#larryangier
google+LarryAngier
oolic

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 01:04:07 PM »
ReplyReply

Too bad...They seem to reproduce
leeonmaui

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »
ReplyReply

Aloha,

oh dude so cool!
Of course, I looked through it and did a check on a few of my images; somebody is selling my images lol!
now i have to go and figure all this out....

Just another day! 
leeonmaui

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »
ReplyReply

Aloha,

figured out a couple of things;
they company that is doing it has a few other photographers the are stealing from, all connected to one lab,
Talked with my  account rep and will start to dig deeper into the theft tomorrow, my best guess at this point is someone who was employed by the lab managed to get this gallery some stolen prints, contacted the other photographers and will be calling the lab to develop a plan Monday...
Ellis Vener

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 08:18:50 AM »
ReplyReply

Aloha,
Hopes all works out. Keep me and Petapixel.com posted.

Ellis Vener
Creating photographs for advertising, corporate and industrial clients since 1984.
JohnBrew

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 07:07:17 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for posting this, Ellis. Just another way of misrepresentation by hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. A thief by any other name...

leeonmaui

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 08:09:10 PM »
ReplyReply

Aloha,

All's well that ends well.

the person that disposes of damaged prints, thought it was a shame to throw the rejects out, sold them all at his church yard sale to a gallery; the gallery posted these online, that's how I found out.

The lab went ballistic, took care of everything in less than 48 hours!

back to square one, which is a good place to be...
MoreOrLess

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 06:41:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Too bad...They seem to reproduce

Sadly because those losing out are generally small businesses you'll not see anything close to the reaction against copywrite thieft that effects larger businesses.
Hulyss

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:36:53 AM »
ReplyReply

This is simply unbelievable ... but real. Sad.

Kind Regards - www.hulyssbowman.com
Ellis Vener

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 11:43:12 AM »
ReplyReply

There are two new updates on http://stopstealingphotos.tumblr.com/ including a hysterical reply from one of the photographers who's been caught redhanded.

Ellis Vener
riddell

Pro photographer Hertfordshire

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 07:47:48 AM »
ReplyReply

A site like this is badly needed. But sadly this one is very poorly laid out. All the data needs pulling off of tumblr and putting into a proper website.

Isaac

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 04:58:26 PM »
ReplyReply

All the data needs pulling off of tumblr and putting into a proper website.

http://stopstealingphotos.com/
SZRitter

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 12:35:02 PM »
ReplyReply

Does anyone else get bothered that it is pretty much the digital form of putting someone in a stockade? Don't get me wrong, I push very hard for protecting copyrights, I just find the public shaming aspect of this a bit horrendous.
Slobodan Blagojevic

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 01:07:59 PM »
ReplyReply

Does anyone else get bothered that it is pretty much the digital form of putting someone in a stockade? Don't get me wrong, I push very hard for protecting copyrights, I just find the public shaming aspect of this a bit horrendous.

Nope, not me. They are thieves, publicly displaying their loots, so shaming them equally publicly makes sense. Also, it seems the most cost and time effective method to rectify the theft.

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
buckshot

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 01:23:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Does anyone else get bothered that it is pretty much the digital form of putting someone in a stockade...

I'm not sure what's worse - the unquestioning conviction in the court of public opinion of alleged copyright infringement, or the smug self-righteousness of the guy that's appointed himself as judge, jury and executioner in all cases of copyright law attached to the display of all images on all photography web sites in the known universe.

Shouldn't be too cynical I guess, this appears to be an altruistic endeavor after all - it's not like the guy's looking to make money out of it, is it?

Oh, hang on a second - there's a 'donate' button on the website.

Doh!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:29:02 PM by buckshot » Logged
SZRitter

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 01:28:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Better question, is it technically copyright infringement for him to be using screenshots of a website he did not produce? As a web developer/designer by trade, I would say yes, yes it is. Oh the irony...
Slobodan Blagojevic

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 01:32:26 PM »
ReplyReply

Better question, is it technically copyright infringement for him to be using screenshots of a website he did not produce? As a web developer/designer by trade, I would say yes, yes it is. Oh the irony...

No, no it isn't. It is known as fair use, a perfectly legal copyright concept.

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
john beardsworth

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »
ReplyReply

The usage is clearly for editorial comment, so using screenshots wouldn't usually infringe copyright.

SZRitter

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
ReplyReply

No, no it isn't. It is known as fair use, a perfectly legal copyright concept.

I just fact checked myself and was coming to post the result.

It is grey at best. Due to the nature of this site, if he is not making money off of it, AND the site's in which he is producing the screen grab are more than one page, it is probably covered under fair use. But that isn't a guarantee. The prevailing cases seem to deem it fair use, but it isn't set in stone as fair use.

If it can be demonstrated as for commercial use, and the screen grabs are of one page sites, he could actually fall foul of fair use.
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad