Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Swan  (Read 2226 times)
graeme

« on: September 01, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »
ReplyReply

Took this on the canal at Alrewas, Staffordshire, UK a few days ago. The beak is a bit blurry - does it bother anyone. ( Have PShopped it but might do some more work ).

All comments appreciated.

Graeme

Rob C

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:34:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Took this on the canal at Alrewas, Staffordshire, UK a few days ago. The beak is a bit blurry - does it bother anyone. ( Have PShopped it but might do some more work ).

All comments appreciated.

Graeme

Great balance achieved there - not always possible with those kinds of shapes in a vertical. Another reason to love the Hasselblad 500 Series!

Had you not mentioned the bill, I wouldn't have noticed anything - still don't at that scale, so why worry about it? Can't have everything all the time, and maybe just as well. Very pleasing exactly as it is.

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 02:11:16 PM »
ReplyReply

Wonderful, Graeme. When I look at it Saint Saens's "Le cygne" starts playing in my head.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 08:01:33 PM »
ReplyReply

Very elegant.

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
louoates

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:01:12 PM »
ReplyReply

Nicely done.
wolfnowl

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 01:32:35 AM »
ReplyReply

Nicely done!

Mike.

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
kikashi

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 02:44:04 AM »
ReplyReply

I don't think the slight blur is noticeable enough to matter at all. I like the shot, and I even quite like the feeling of vertigo it inspires. The only alteration I might make is to clone out the reeds at the top: they don't seem necessary.

Jeremy
Peter Stacey

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 03:03:43 AM »
ReplyReply

Gorgeous. Wonderfully balanced and very elegant.

francois

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 05:13:43 AM »
ReplyReply

…The only alteration I might make is to clone out the reeds at the top: they don't seem necessary.

Jeremy

I agree, it would make it cleaner. It's a superb image.

Bravo

Francois
walter.sk

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 10:00:42 AM »
ReplyReply

I don't think the slight blur is noticeable enough to matter at all. I like the shot, and I even quite like the feeling of vertigo it inspires. The only alteration I might make is to clone out the reeds at the top: they don't seem necessary.

Jeremy
+1.

Did you try it in B&W?
graeme

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for all the kind words & suggestions guys.

The reeds at the top are actually quite important to me. I like them because they're part of a chain of visual elements which fall in from the edge of the image ( and from the world outside the photo ) and culminate at the beak of the swan.

Yes Walter, I've had a quick play at a B&W version. It could probably do with a little adjustment brush work & curve tweaking but I'm pleased with it so far.

Regards

Graeme
louoates

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 08:05:15 PM »
ReplyReply

I love to clone out extraneous bits from my images but I think you are correct in leaving them in with this one. Cloned out details or not it's a great image. Both color and b/w work here.
AFairley

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 12:24:37 PM »
ReplyReply

Nicely elegant composition.  I think the color dynamic between the reeds and the beak is an important contract to the dynamic line mirroring of those two elements, so I think the color version is much stronger.

RSL

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
ReplyReply

The picture needs to be in color and the reeds are essential; without them there's really no picture: just a snap of a bird from up on the bridge.

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 01:37:09 PM »
ReplyReply

The picture needs to be in color and the reeds are essential; without them there's really no picture: just a snap of a bird from up on the bridge.

Once again, I find I have to agree with you. It's a fine image as first presented to us. Does zich in black/white as per the latest version. Very often one should stick with first impressions. I regret having seen the black/white.

Rob C

Tonysx

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 06:15:09 PM »
ReplyReply

Me too. The reeds make it and the colour adds dynamism.

‘Be you ever so high, the law is above you.’ Lord Denning.
kikashi

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 02:08:33 PM »
ReplyReply

I agree with you about the colour, Russ, but which reeds? The main clump is vital, obviously; I'm not convinced by the few extraneous stalks, though.

Jeremy
RSL

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
ReplyReply

I think you're right, Jeremy. The stalks in the upper right probably can go.

AFairley

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »
ReplyReply

I like the extraneous stalks, they make the thing look more "real," a little more lively, a little less black velvet background.  If they were really obtrusive, I might feel differently.  For that reason I also like the dark reflections at the bottom of the frame.

Ed Blagden

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 05:32:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Jeremy

Lovely shot - forget about B&W, the colour makes the image.

Is that you in the reflections in the middle of the bottom bit of the photo?  That is the only bit that bothers me.

Ed

Visit my Flickr page
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad