Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 [3]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: How should a website look  (Read 7023 times)
Justinr

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 07:55:15 AM »
ReplyReply

Oh lord!

Nope only a complete numpty would say say that. 

I was being somewhat facetious to make a point. You seem a bright enough fellow but I'm not sure that you read much outside of your subject area, you'd have noticed otherwise.

4bn online? So what. We have heard it all before, A decade ago we were told that it would all be online by now. Sick of hearing all these puff pieces by vested interests. You'll know of course that the Irish Independent has a rather strong reputation for not being that at all. Just look at this from the Digital Hub development agency site  -

The Digital Hub is a vibrant cluster of digital content and technology enterprises, located on a state-of-the-art campus in the heart of Dublin City. (It's also a state quango belonging to a government desperate for any news that will divert attention from its lamentable performance in office.)

Never knowingly undersold eh, and the good old Independent just trots it out without questions as to why there has been an apparent massive increase since the recession kicked in and what goods are are being sold via this route. Maybe it's a change in the way that the figures are counted, I simply don't believe that the increase is near 40% a year, smells fishy to me if only because experience has taught me to be somewhat cynical of government sponsored 'stories'. We shall see.

so images fill screen with no distracting chrome.

No, just uber distracting white.

I am now thinking of almost white text on a crisp white background with images only 10 pixels wide with a 2 pixel white border.

So how's that going to be read on a mobile gizzmo?

jjj

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »
ReplyReply

Oh lord!

Nope only a complete numpty would say say that. 

I was being somewhat facetious to make a point. You seem a bright enough fellow but I'm not sure that you read much outside of your subject area, you'd have noticed otherwise.
No you were trying to make a point by positing something that would not actually be said by anyone sensible. So not actually making a point, simply saying something daft.
My academic background is science, with some ancient history chucked in, I practice in the arts, have competed in and have taught sporting activities/dance. I also read a lot, about all sorts of things, so not sure what my 'subject area' would be exactly. Not that it even matters as your point was well pointless.

4bn online? So what. We have heard it all before, A decade ago we were told that it would all be online by now.
I don't think anyone sensible has said that. Either way over 10% of sales is a lot of sales [4billions worth in fact], particularly as not very long ago it was 0% of sales.  Tongue

so images fill screen with no distracting chrome.

No, just uber distracting white.
Does the 'fill screen' part confuse you?
Do all those photographic prints with borders disturb you too? I imagine you may have a seizure if you ever went into a photography gallery with all those prints made on white paper, with white borders and maybe even white matts - 'The Horror!'.   Shocked

I am now thinking of almost white text on a crisp white background with images only 10 pixels wide with a 2 pixel white border.

So how's that going to be read on a mobile gizzmo?
Well rather obviously as well as it can be read on a 30" monitor, with extreme difficulty. Duh!  Roll Eyes

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
MrSmith

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 12:54:19 PM »
ReplyReply

2 bald men fighting over a comb Roll Eyes
jjj

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Actually I need to give one to Isaac, to help with his hair splitting.

Justinr

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 08:06:31 AM »
ReplyReply

2 bald men fighting over a comb Roll Eyes

Pretty much the conclusion that I'd come to.

Anyhow, Just to cheer our friend JJJ up I have put up a small gallery to hold some images in support of the book and what's more (roll of drums please) I've used Flash!!! The main reason being that I couldn't find a straightforward gallery CMS that I liked rather than any great preference for Simpleviewer so I went with the inconvenience of it.

The photos are here Book images

The page on my site carrying the link is here - The Trouble with Germany

I haven't made it the main gallery as these are online book illustrations rather than examples of fine art.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:26:24 AM by Justinr » Logged

jjj

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2013, 06:36:18 PM »
ReplyReply

Can't entirely be Flash as I just looked at it on my iPad. Some of the images look soft as if they are not high enough resolution for the screen.

Justinr

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 04:25:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Can't entirely be Flash as I just looked at it on my iPad. Some of the images look soft as if they are not high enough resolution for the screen.

Some of the pictures were taken in less than perfect weather conditions which may account for some 'softness', the two of Rotterdam certainly were.

As far as the Flash content is concerned I really can't say, but this is what I used - www.simpleviewer.net. My main gripe is that to alter the gallery I basically have to change and reload the whole thing as opposed to just deleting and uploading a single image which is what CMS offers.

In an earlier post you mentioned the hatred that Steve Jobs had for Flash. Now I carry no candle for the fellow and certainly refrained from taking to the streets on his untimely demise, but this is what he said about it in 2010 -  www.apple.com Thoughts-on-flash/, and yet it works on your ipad.

jjj

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 02:29:52 PM »
ReplyReply

It works on my iPad as it defaulted to a less able technology. Not exactly progress. Ones of the best things about Flash was that it didn't matter what OS you used, what browser you prefered or what fonts you had installed, it worked consistently. Something that is still not possible years later with the alternatives.
Jobs talked a lot of shit about Flash, a major 'problem' with Flash was that it was a potential revenue stream Apple couldn't take a cut out of.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad