Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: It's a matter of taste...  (Read 8009 times)
iluvmycam

« on: September 19, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
ReplyReply

On another photo forum I am on, a member posted this thread.  Before I had time to even read or post to it it was closed.

It is a good topic, so I will open up discussion here.

runnah wrote:

This is relevant to all art forms but we will focus on photography.

So as most regulars on here will agree that overused filter packs and PS actions ruin a photo. But contrary to folks here 99% of the population loves it and buys it in droves. Most wedding photos I see have some sort to similar effect.

So are we wrong? If it is so bad than why is it so popular? Who is to say what is bad or good?

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photographic-discussions/339848-s-matter-taste.html
petermfiore

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 04:50:27 PM »
ReplyReply

There is a difference between Fine Art and Commercial Art. Hence different needs and tastes. Phased to keep it tasteful.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:52:18 PM by petermfiore » Logged

Isaac

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 04:53:07 PM »
ReplyReply

People differ. Hence different needs and tastes.
Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 11:24:21 PM »
ReplyReply

What it boils down to is this: My taste is excellent, and the taste of anybody who disagrees with me is terrible.
 Roll Eyes

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
SeanBK

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 02:44:03 AM »
ReplyReply

People wants a quick cheap results that r not normal, so with one click if they can do something different like my 4 yr old grand kid wants to with my 30+ MP w/Zeiss on it's LCD screen than they feel they r also very creative. Getting sharp, well correctly exposed image is too much hassle & forget @ PS.
   All u have to do is to go 'Tunnel View' @ Yosemite and watch strangers look @ your LCD screen shot & tell u, my cheap camera takes better than your expensive one on tripod. Roll Eyes My wife kept telling me count to 10 & tripod is not a javelin.  Wink
francois

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 02:52:32 AM »
ReplyReply

What it boils down to is this: My taste is excellent, and the taste of anybody who disagrees with me is terrible.
 Roll Eyes

This is a very common way of thinking, nothing new but you summarised it perfectly  Sad

Francois
Rob C

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:43:37 AM »
ReplyReply

This is a very common way of thinking, nothing new but you summarised it perfectly  Sad

And that's because it is perfect!

Rob C

PeterAit

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:46:42 AM »
ReplyReply

The curmudgeon in me wants to reply "it is so popular because it is bad," but I know that's not really true. However, using food as an analogy, look at the immense popularity of McDonalds, Domino Pizza, and other chains that serve terrible food.

Peter
"Photographic technique is a means to an end, never the end itself."
View my photos at http://www.peteraitken.com
Rob C

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 08:27:24 AM »
ReplyReply

The curmudgeon in me wants to reply "it is so popular because it is bad," but I know that's not really true. However, using food as an analogy, look at the immense popularity of McDonalds, Domino Pizza, and other chains that serve terrible food.

Don't be afraid to say it:

The Lowest Common Denominator.

;-)

Rob C

Isaac

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 11:14:05 AM »
ReplyReply

However, using food as an analogy, look at the immense popularity of McDonalds, Domino Pizza, and other chains that serve terrible food.

Cheap fast cooked-food without shopping, without a kitchen, without utensils; somewhere warm and clean and dry.

But wasn't the topic something frivolous -- why people might like one style of photography more than another?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:42:02 AM by Isaac » Logged
wmchauncey

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 09:56:33 AM »
ReplyReply

There is a difference between Fine Art and Commercial Art
The Lowest Common Denominator
It might be said that those who frequent sites as ours do tend to fall outside that LCD range and more toward the Fine Art appreciation direction.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/chauncey43
Rob C

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 01:35:01 PM »
ReplyReply

It might be said that those who frequent sites as ours do tend to fall outside that LCD range and more toward the Fine Art appreciation direction.

It isn't about the membership of a particular forum - it's a measure of life in general.

Rob C

Ed B

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 10:12:13 AM »
ReplyReply

Bud Light is the top selling beer in the US........There's no accounting for taste.
Isaac

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
ReplyReply

There's no accounting for anything until you make some effort to understand what explanations there might be.
petermfiore

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
ReplyReply

There's no accounting for anything until you make some effort to understand what explanations there might be.

And then there are those that are visual nomads.

Peter

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »
ReplyReply

Roll Eyes

That is the POV of a narrow minded arrogant artist which I am quite capable of myself. When I am more humble and conscious, I try and ask of all art "what do you have to teach me?". More often than not the answer is not much or nothing, but in asking that question I give all art a chance. Sometimes.........sometimes I learn something important and sometimes........I learn to love art that I perviously despised.

Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Gittings
Architecture and Landscape Photography
WWW.GITTINGSPHOTO.COM

LIGHT+SPACE+STRUCTURE (blog)
Isaac

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »
ReplyReply

And then there are those that are visual nomads.

And your opaque epigrams might be placeholders for some interesting ideas, which you don't take care to communicate.
wmchauncey

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »
ReplyReply

And your opaque epigrams might be placeholders for some interesting ideas, which you don't take care to communicate.
Huh?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/chauncey43
BFoto

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
ReplyReply

Roll Eyes

+1

jjj

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 08:23:19 AM »
ReplyReply

Roll Eyes
My view exactly, but do not forget that if something good becomes popular, then it somehow becomes less good.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad