Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: The NEW LuLa Look  (Read 9662 times)
BJL

« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »
ReplyReply

In an ideal world the text on the screen would be much larger than that of the printed material, to compensate for the generally longer viewing distance
Agreed about font size, because what matters for readability of individual characters is their angular size [apparent size]. BUt note my point about the ratio of screen width to viewing distance, which is typically greater (viewing distance is typically greater with screens than print, but screen width is often greater by a larger factor, or "greaterer", so the angular width of the screen is larger than of a book). That allows having more characters per line while still having the characters big enough to read.

Next though is the issue of how much eye and head movement is needed to scan those wider lines.
john beardsworth

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Another feature request though: make the titles of articles on the home page clickable links to the article, even if you also spell it out with another link below. That is just what most people have come to expect: the "principle of least surprise".
I think you should do this, and it'll let you get rid of the ugly orange "click here" links.

You might also increase the line height (just a touch) for those who find the lines too long.

BJL

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »
ReplyReply

... being aware of the HUGE lower res device market like tablets and phones.
And yet if you read on to the next sentence of my post that you quote, I observe that the 1024x768 iPad has no problems. Also, the only other comment about tablets or phones is Paul Sumi in post #2 saying that it "works fine" on his iPad. As to phones, the only comment so far is mine that it works fine on my phone (which has an even lower pixel count of 960x940) by giving different line breaks. So your fears for low-res. mobile devices seem unfounded.

Instead, all the problem reports I see in this thread are with "non-mobile" devices. In particular, in almost all complaints that cite a specific browser, it is Firefox, though that might be a coincidence.
michael
Administrator

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2013, 06:32:15 PM »
ReplyReply

This is where using a professional would have helped also - being aware of the HUGE lower res device market like tablets and phones.  Oh well....

Your back-handed insults are not appreciated. Please stop, or just stop visiting the site. Your comments are no longer appreciated.

Michael
Paul Wright

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2013, 10:44:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Hooray! While the content is always first class, the look was getting tired. The new look is a great step forward.
There may be some unanticipated bedding down issues, but overall its a great job.

-pw
cmi

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2013, 08:39:28 AM »
ReplyReply

- In Firefox 23.0.1 the top menu changes height when I mouse over (due to the change to italic font).

- The column sticking to the right due to the Alchemy API Advertiser feels awkward and I would just center it.

But overall look, font sizes, header, general intention, is ok and the right direction.
Mark Guertin
Administrator

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2013, 08:44:30 AM »
ReplyReply

- In Firefox 23.0.1 the top menu changes height when I mouse over (due to the change to italic font).

- The column sticking to the right due to the Alchemy API Advertiser feels awkward and I would just center it.

But overall look, font sizes, header, general intention, is ok and the right direction.

Hmm ok this is odd.  The top menu shouldn't have italic fonts and the alchemy API logo and link should be centered.  On FF 24.0 it's fine for me in both windows and OSX.  What OS are you using?
Mark Guertin
Administrator

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2013, 08:46:50 AM »
ReplyReply

Actually I just double checked and there is italic, but only when you actually click (it shouldn't happen before then) and the italic font really shouldn't be any taller than the standard one.  Are you running Linux per chance?
cmi

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2013, 08:57:43 AM »
ReplyReply

Win 7 64 Bit.

//edit: Yes, when you click, exactly, then the menu height changes. I'll give you screenshots.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:59:20 AM by cmi » Logged
Mark Guertin
Administrator

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2013, 08:59:13 AM »
ReplyReply

Win 7 64 Bit, but cannot reproduce it any longer. As if it only occured at first load. Will report back if I happen to find it out.

Ahh ok, no worries.  It was probably something cached or that didn't fully load in terms of the stylesheet.  Glad it's working as expected now.
cmi

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Now here its reproduced, it occurs when I click lmb on any top menu item and HOLD the mouse. Thats also the reason it didnt get noticed, usually you click and release LMB, and then the height change is just for a briefer time.

Best Regards

Mark Guertin
Administrator

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2013, 09:10:04 AM »
ReplyReply

Hmm ok, thanks.  It seems like it may be an actual issue with your version of Arial.  The Italic font should not be any taller than the standard font.  I'll see if there's anything I can do about this (like maybe just eliminate the italic when clicking on things), but I can't reproduce this on my setup so it may be something local with your windows setup.
cmi

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2013, 09:18:35 AM »
ReplyReply

Yes maybe its a local issue, cant compare to a fresh install at the moment. But not using italic in the menu probably is a good idea.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 09:20:24 AM by cmi » Logged
scooby70

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2013, 09:36:50 AM »
ReplyReply

IMVHO the new look is simply... horrible. So much so that I'll use the site less.
Rocco Penny

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »
ReplyReply

I like the change.
Lots of options to click on the homepage,
forum works as it always has,
in fact the forum is easier to reach from the homepage now as it is a navigation option in the top instead of the side.
I can't tell you how hard that side forums button was for me to find the first time Smiley
oh and
FLOWING FALL COLORS is beautiful
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:01:42 AM by Rocco Penny » Logged
Isaac

« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2013, 11:17:15 AM »
ReplyReply

in fact the forum is easier to reach from the homepage now ...

If the forum is where you spend time, you could bookmark the forum instead of the LuLa homepage :-)
cmi

« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2013, 11:23:15 AM »
ReplyReply

Ok until now I only saw the "whats new" section since this is my landing page and my positive reaction was only based on this page.

But now I clicked through all pages, and I have to say Im a bit shocked about the plethora of different font sizes and inconsistent looks. (Different sized links, reading text and image captions).

This design does not adequately reflect the very high photographic standard of this site. It lacks clearness and consistency.
David Mantripp

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2013, 11:38:35 AM »
ReplyReply

All in all, I think it is a clear improvement on the old site. Clearly there are a lot of sometimes conflicting requirements to satisfy, but they've been well resolved. Well done to all concerned.

--
David Mantripp
http://www.snowhenge.net
michael
Administrator

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2013, 12:14:39 PM »
ReplyReply

Firstly, the annoying animated Phase One ad has been changed to static ones. Sorry about that.

Secondly, we really wish that you all would agree whether or not you like the new design. About half of you do, and half of you don't. Seems like the American political system with a 50/50 split between the left and the right.

Consensus? Apparently not.

Therefore thanks to everyone for your comments, one way or the other.

Michael
ErikKaffehr

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2013, 12:23:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

I can live with the new design...

Best regards
Erik

Firstly, the annoying animated Phase One ad has been changed to static ones. Sorry about that.

Secondly, we really wish that you all would agree whether or not you like the new design. About half of you do, and half of you don't. Seems like the American political system with a 50/50 split between the left and the right.

Consensus? Apparently not.

Therefore thanks to everyone for your comments, one way or the other.

Michael

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad