Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: A plague of double spaces  (Read 2802 times)
jjj

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
ReplyReply

iPhone translates double space as period + space.
A very handy tweak I find. One I miss when using my computer now.
Using the spacebar and not the enter key for autocorrect in iOS though, that was a special kind of stupid. And why I keep it turned off.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:06:28 PM by jjj » Logged

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
jjj

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 12:04:39 PM »
ReplyReply

If you are the sort of person who cares about typography, double spaces look like poor kerning and make text on this forum, even clumsier to read.

kaelaria

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »
ReplyReply

Some people here be like:

kikashi

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 01:41:17 PM »
ReplyReply

If you are the sort of person who cares about typography, double spaces look like poor kerning and make text on this forum, even clumsier to read.

I do, which is why I like this. Spurious commas are pretty annoying, too, unless of course they're ironic.

Jeremy
jjj

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »
ReplyReply

Nope, just a dumb typo.
Oh and nice XKCD.

AFairley

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »
ReplyReply

Sorry, but I just can't buy into the claim that it was "evil".  I started doing typography (nroff, groff and TeX) on computers 30 years ago and to this date I still see nothing "evil", either with 2 spaces. 1 space, or 1-1/2 spaces (granted I distinctly dislike no space).  Which I use depends on what the work is supposed to look like.  I'm the kind of guy that literally goes over things with a magnifying glass, and might move parens up or down a point or two, commonly moves the dash in a telephone number up or down a point or two, and yes I use different spacing between sentences.

Which is to say that I am extremely critical about the form of work that I produce.

Oh, Puleeze!

I could care less whether someone else uses two spaces or one after a period. It's a matter of personal style, there is no right or wrong as such.  If the boss, or the specified style guide, says this or that, do it.  Otherwise, take your pick.  Who cares!

And note that almost all style guides will say that 1 space is more common, and 2 spaces is not wrong.

Thank you, Floyd. I was a typesetter for years both pre- and post the advent of the personal computer, and I could give a toss about two spaces or one space or whatever.  Now can we get back to discussing important things like the D800E vs. MFDB....

RobbieV

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
ReplyReply

Why try to instill your grief amongst others?
I'm a graphic communicator, and while it annoys me, I have learned to let it go.
Why waste your life getting tightly wound over a small space?

jjj

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 04:55:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Indeed, why bother worrying about anything in fact?
It's not like doing things well is really that important and if your composition is a bit off and people complain you cropped their head off, simply tell them to chill out.

Floyd Davidson

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »
ReplyReply

Indeed, why bother worrying about anything in fact?
It's not like doing things well is really that important and if your composition is a bit off and people complain you cropped their head off, simply tell them to chill out.

It's not like those are equivalents either, and anyone who's perspective is that poor has a much bigger  problem to worry  about than pointless typography style selections.

tom b

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »
ReplyReply

It's not like those are equivalents either, and anyone who's perspective is that poor has a much bigger  problem to worry  about than pointless typography style selections.

Two double spaces in one sentence, goes to to prove my point elegantly.

Cheers,

Rand47

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2013, 05:36:44 PM »
ReplyReply

Grin  To a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Rand
jjj

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2013, 05:42:10 PM »
ReplyReply

It's not like those are equivalents either, and anyone who's perspective is that poor has a much bigger  problem to worry  about than pointless typography style selections.
Except they are equivalent, the fact you don't care about how things look/good design only means that such things do not matter to you. A quick glance at your website shows that good typography or design is very obviously of no interest to you. Or composition looking at the photos.

Slobodan Blagojevic

When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks.

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »
ReplyReply

Ah, the first-world problems! Wink

Slobodan

Flickr
500px
Pages: « 1 [2]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad