I would like to thank both "The Digital Dog" and Scott Martin for their guidance on this forum in helping me improve my printing abilities.
Well, after creating multiple profiles using the optimization feature within the software provided with the ColorMunki, I've come to the following conclusion.
Optimization is beneficial to a point. That point for me was after two phases of optimization. I actually made five optimization updates from my base profile, so there were a total of six versions of my printer / paper profile that I printed and reviewed.
The first optimization was built using the image found at: http://outbackprint.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html
. I liked this image the best because of the bottom patch ramp which was most helpful in determining how much detail there was in both highlight and showdown areas.
The second round (v3 of the profile) of optimization built, used the image found at: http://www.on-sight.com/download/
being the Onsight B&W Evaluation Image. With this image however, you will need to convert to either TIF or JPG as the ColorMunki software does not read PSD files. I converted mine to TIF.
Further optimizations were performed using the Granger (v4) and Gamut Charts (v5) found at: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/test-charts.shtml
Then for v6 of the profile I added an additional B/W image found at: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/black_and_white_test.html
the direct link to the image is: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/downloadable_2/bwtest_2.zip
Changes from v4 and v6 showed minor improvements, but I did find that the blacks on the bottom patch ramp started to block up sooner by v6 of my testing.
So in my opinion and with the testing I was able to do over the past week, the next time I create a printer / paper profile using the ColorMunki I will do the following:
1. Run the software to create its first color patches, print, dry and measure to obtain the second color patch set.
2. Print the second patch set, let it dry, measure it and build the profile.
3. Then I’ll run the optimize routine using the image found at: http://www.jirvana.com/printer_tests/PrinterEvaluationImage_V002.zip
. Print the resulting patch set, let it dry, measure it and build v2 of that profile.
4. Then I’ll run the optimize routine a second time this time using image found at: http://www.on-sight.com/download/Onsight_BW_Evaluation.zip
. Print the resulting patch set, let it dry, measure it and build v3 of that profile.
5. Ready to make some beautiful images!!
Please note that I let each patch set dry for 8 to 12 hours before I reading it using the ColorMunki, not the 10 minutes that x-rite recommends. This is what I have found will work for my equipment and am extremely happy with the profiles and the resulting images from my Epson R3000 printer.
Thanks again!! And happy PROFILING.