Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: How to purchase 3rd party photography  (Read 4667 times)
Jeff Weir

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 08:02:03 PM »
ReplyReply

This is a very funny thread.

Jim Pascoe

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 03:14:24 AM »
ReplyReply

I don't seem to be getting my ideas across very well do I Smiley

I appreciate that stolen images from web sites are rife - big problem for anyone in the web business but that's what I can avoid. Anyone can steal a jpg but people cannot steal a Raw file because it's a 30MB file - not a 400k jpg.

How much would someone charge to sell a photograph that they took outright?

If you were offered $50 a photo would you be interested? $100? $250? - how much?

Let's be honest, there are a million and 1 pictures out there and many of them would make great framed pictures - they can't all be worth thousands of dollars.

I have a commercial photographer friend who takes photos for women's fashion - he get's paid $20 a photo and the photos are given to the client. What's so different about non-commercial photographers getting paid the same?

What am I missing here?

*Update*
Ok, I just spent a few minutes searching Google for discussions about rights management etc and I am now beginning to get the picture (no pun intended lol)

The "professional" photographers see their images as being their long term bread and butter and so are reluctant to ever sell the rights to them - even if they are 'so-so' images. I have reviewed quite a few 'professionals' web sites and their galleries and I haven't been so impressed so far - maybe 2 or 3 exceptional photos and a whole lot of ho-hum stuff that didn't impress. If anyone can suggest a truly professional photographers gallery then I'd be most appreciative.

Which leads me to ask 'what makes a professional' - it should be 3 years at Art college and 5 years apprenticeship - but of course these days it would appear that almost anyone can invest $10k in a camera and computer and suddenly they become a professional. So it's to this group of people that I was hoping to be able to purchase images for reproduction/sale rather than the true Professionals who have invested their life into it.

The customer demographic that I have I have to work with might invest $300 in a picture - they are not in the market for a $1500 picture and I see an opportunity for these semi-pros to be able to sell their better images at a fair price.

And the more that I read what I just wrote it sounds way too demeaning than I meant it to sound so I had better shut up at this point.

You are opening a whole can of worms here.  If you think you can spot which pictures will sell just find the photographers and offer to buy their work from them.  If they are amateurs, and there are some very good ones shooting spectacular landscapes and wildlife, they will probably happily sell you their images for $100 - outright.
Or do you want them to take all the risks supplying you with 100's of pictures which you may or may not sell, and which if you do sell you may or may not pay them a royalty which may only be $15.

Why would anyone except if they are local to you bother with the latter scheme.  Especially if they are a professional.  And if you want to know what a professional is, it's a person who makes a living from photography, and if any good has no time for messing about hoping to get tiny royalties from possible sales from an organisation that has no track record.

If you do enough legwork I'm sure you will find plenty of photographers happy to engage in your scheme.  But perhaps not via Lula.  Good luck though.

Jim
steveclv

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 09:11:17 AM »
ReplyReply

First of all GoGo - NO I wasn't being disrespectful - read my post and you will see I said that you created some amazing photography! The one I picked on was just an example to show an inferior shot that had no value because it had several issues which anyone could pick up including yourself if you analyzed it. We all create a high percentage of throwaways especially now we are in the digital domain - so, no, I do respect you as a photographer.

Secondly, thanks Jim. I think your post was very constructive.

I don't expect someone to send me thousands of photos - I would suggest a theme or themes that fit into my gallery style and then see what they had available. So I know for example that I want to have a couple of shots of the Las Vegas strip - so someone would put up a handful of watermarked JPGs online, I'd find one that worked, we'd agree a price which I would send via PayPal and they would send me the Raw file and an letter of release by email.

Maybe then I would have need for a picture of Monument Valley, UT - same process.

I think that you are correct that it might be better targeted at semi-pros rather than what might be assumed to be the typical LULA audience but I suspect that many LULA participants may fall into that demographic.
Alan Klein

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »
ReplyReply

You're welcome to check my flickr site and if you're interested in buying any of them outright, just contact me by email and we can discuss the cost and terms.  Thanks.  Alan.
steveclv

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »
ReplyReply

I thought I would just pop back in and update this thread so that if anyone else is in the same situation then they might benefit from my experiences.

I know it has been amusing and maybe upsetting to some and I'm truly sorry about that - it was asked and meant in all seriousness.

Anyway, I posted on a local forum for local photographers to send me some low rez samples of their work with a view to having them exhibited and sold in my new gallery and I received 8 inquiries over 2 weeks. I discounted 2 as I didn't like the samples of what they sent and met with the other 6. 4 of them are enthusiastic amateurs, 1 was a semi-pro who sold some of his photos online and through stock and the last one was a full time professional for a local newspaper.

The deal that I finally put together was that they would supply me with RAW where possible and I would retain the rights to manipulate/crop etc the pictures for display. I would not have any exclusivity to the photos nor would I have any electronic rights - strictly hard copy only.
I am responsible for all the printing and framing costs.
When the pictures sell, either as loose prints, matted prints or framed/gallery/glass finished artwork, then any manufacturing costs and sales taxes are deducted from the sales price and the photographer receives 30% of the sale.
The contract runs for a year and they can pull out after that - any remaining inventory either continues to be sold or they can buy it at cost price.
The photographers name is not advertised anywhere in the gallery or on the pictures.

All 6 were happy with the arrangement and we have 90 pictures currently printed, framed and displayed for sale.

I am shortly installing a couple of 50" TV screens with terminals that allow customers to view photographs that have not yet been printed to minimize on some of the inventory costs and which allow me to display more of each photographers work - although I remain in control of what is and what isn't used.

It's meant that I have no been able to add photographic styles that I would have found it hard to produce myself - one of them is strictly aerial photography and another is a keen diver and provides me with a range of great underwater material.

If anyone wants to pm me for more details etc then please feel free.
Jim Coda

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 07:18:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Congratulations Steve. You're up and running.

Let us know how things are going in thirty or sixty days.  Also, a photo of what your gallery looks like now with the new framed pieces would be appreciated.

Jim

steveclv

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 11:38:04 AM »
ReplyReply

I'll take some shots tomorrow and post - in the meantime, this is the front of the shop from about 2 weeks ago - we were still working on the interior at the time.

steveclv

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 03:45:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Here are some more shots (just taken with my cellphone for now)

My small studio is through the door in the back - I'll get another shot of it when it's finished Smiley

The last one is my small printing room with a couple of Epson Pro 3800s - one for Photo and one for Matte - anything larger than 17" I send out to be printed.

Pages: « 1 [2]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad