Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: The Full Frame Myth  (Read 18824 times)
Rob C

« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2014, 03:58:30 AM »
ReplyReply

Eleanor,

Great to hear! Thanks for sharing!

I have some interest in the A7r, but I guess I want to see where Sony goes in with both A-mount and EF-mount. Also I am in a money saving mode after buying my P45+. It is very interesting to see what other users find.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, you are too late! Your genie has already fled the bottle. You should have had that mental attitude and strength before spending the money!

;-)

Rob C

Manoli

« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2014, 05:43:04 AM »
ReplyReply

Today I printed a 22X32 inch test print of shrubbery with lovely leaves that has wonderful texture tones veins etc.  .  The Otus, shot at f2.8 on the A7r is stunning...I cannot do anywhere near this with a smaller sensor. I'm in the quality range that my Phase/Hassy medium format gives me.  This just amazes me.  Eleanor

Eleanor, music to my ears …
Now, the interesting sequel will be how great a difference between the Otus v SUMMILUX-M 50/1.4 on an A7r.
bcooter

Bang The Drum All Day

« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2014, 08:36:30 AM »
ReplyReply

I never looked at the R due to the focus, but looked at the A7.

I'll bet that most people that were shopping the olympus compared the em-1 to the a7, but I doubt if anyone shopping for an A7 and especially the a7r ever compared them to the olympus.

It's hard to deny the thought of full frame, but for me it was hard to deny the results I saw.

IMO

BC

Manoli

« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2014, 09:59:28 AM »
ReplyReply

… but I doubt if anyone shopping for an A7 and especially the a7r ever compared them to the olympus.
It's hard to deny the thought of full frame, but for me it was hard to deny the results I saw.

Well, one did. Mainly because of your persuasive arguments in its favour and MR's A7r/ Leica review. But the bottom line, as I posted elsewhere was this: your priorities were "autofocus, tracking, stabilisation, colour, in-camera corrections and extensibility" whereas mine were " B&W, tonality, stills only, prefers manual focus and has a host of top-grade legacy glass (that he's not willing to discard) ".

In the end it also came down to the fact that I wasn't buying any overpriced Sony lenses to go with it, whereas with the Olympus it would have been impossible not to buy 'that' zoom and the 75/1.8 as a minimum. I like the OM, like the Olympus DNA, liked the quality feel to the whole camera (hated the menu system) but neither needed nor wanted the advantages the OM offered.

Two comments though; the results you saw were mainly, if I'm not mistaken, based on jpeg output. Sony jpeg's, by all accounts, are … 'not the best'. And the construction of the A7 is not to the standard of the A7r - it's only partly magnesium.

But yes, I guess that in the end, m43 v FF counted - for my usage.

bcooter

Bang The Drum All Day

« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2014, 01:32:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Well, one did. Mainly because of your persuasive arguments in its favour and MR's A7r/ Leica review. But the bottom line, as I posted elsewhere was this: your priorities were "autofocus, tracking, stabilisation, colour, in-camera corrections and extensibility" whereas mine were " B&W, tonality, stills only, prefers manual focus and has a host of top-grade legacy glass (that he's not willing to discard) ".

In the end it also came down to the fact that I wasn't buying any overpriced Sony lenses to go with it, whereas with the Olympus it would have been impossible not to buy 'that' zoom and the 75/1.8 as a minimum. I like the OM, like the Olympus DNA, liked the quality feel to the whole camera (hated the menu system) but neither needed nor wanted the advantages the OM offered.

Two comments though; the results you saw were mainly, if I'm not mistaken, based on jpeg output. Sony jpeg's, by all accounts, are … 'not the best'. And the construction of the A7 is not to the standard of the A7r - it's only partly magnesium.

But yes, I guess that in the end, m43 v FF counted - for my usage.

If I was you I would have done the same thing.  If I needed 30mpx I would have given the A7 a much closer look.

I hope this doesn't come as a misunderstanding, because I wanted the A7 to be the camera I needed, not just wanted.   

What surprised me was on the A7 vs. the em-1 "I" like the 43 file better, found the sharpness and detail more interesting (not more detailed, just more interesting) and I love the olympus camera, except it doesn't tether.

Personally I don't understand the camera companies, except Canon and Nikon.

You may never need tethering, or focus tracking or a large lens set, but is nice if you do, whether your a professional or an advanced amateur.

You may never need a wide acceptance by the rental companies like borrow lens, or lens rentals, but once again, it's nice if you do.

What I really don't understand is software is 1/2 the equation of all digital cameras, motion or still and only Canon has a good oem tethering suite (other than phase/leaf/hasselblad) and all the rest rely on difficult, less than robust software.

That just kind of freezes my brain, because once you write the suite, isn't the hard work done?

In other words the camera companies have come to realize that cheap point and shoot business is gone and the higher end is where the profit is, but once they get close to the high end, they kind of stop.

Anyway, I understand the A7R for a lot of people, I just wasn't one of them.

IMO

BC

ErikKaffehr

« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2014, 02:04:48 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

I guess that the two companies you understand are in command of something like 80% of the relevant market, which may mean that you may not be alone…

Joke aside, I would suggest that Nikon and later Canon built their marketplace by consequently delivering adequate solutions to their customers needs.

Nice to hear you enjoy 4/3.

Best regards
Erik

Personally I don't understand the camera companies, except Canon and Nikon.

Telecaster

« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Well, I'll be picking up my A7r later today on the way home from the Upscale Mega Mall (where my friend Bruce & I are drinking coffee, chatting, people watching and typing away on our respective gizmos). So we'll see how it stacks up against the E-M1 in our opinion. When I told Bruce what I had in mind for the Sony (16:9 aspect ratio, downsampling, no printing, Y/C Zeiss lenses) he looked at me like one of my eyes had fallen out. But after many emphatic repetitions of "4K is the Future, dude!" he seems less perturbed.   Cheesy

-Dave-
Vladimirovich

« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2014, 11:10:56 AM »
ReplyReply

There are no equivalents for 21/1.4, 24/1.4, 35/1.4 or 50/0.95 or 85/1.4 lenses.
with APS-C and the likes of Metabones speedbooster you are almost there (wider by 0.7 and faster by 1 stop)...
Pages: « 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad