Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Real photographers?  (Read 1556 times)
CharlesRamsey

« on: March 17, 2014, 10:01:40 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm not going to let the statement real photographers by Michael Reichmann pass without some comment. I've been on the edge of the industry since the 80's when I did quality control for Colorcraft or since I was born when you consider my Uncle Noel started in WW2 and owned the Hardin County Independent. But I'm not going to accuse all of you for being snobs because you own cameras that he couldn't afford. That's not what this is about. What this is about is what real photographers focus on that is opposed to scientific photographers. Even back then I knew there were two common red rhodopsin variants. Now I think there are hundreds, tetrachromats aside. What is correct color is a mater of taste and the scientific instruments do not adequately mimic the most common eye. Try putting a fluorescent color under your densitometer and see what happens. When the Lytro first came out I wondered if it was able to bring everything in focus. I now know this can be done in software and I'm amazed they didn't think of this. Real photographers worry about bokeh which means a factor of 10 increase in the cost of lenses for an increase of 1 f stop at the high end. Scientific photographers want everything in focus. 24 frame per second video drives me nuts and I can see the doubled frames when these are adapted for television. 16 9 aspect ratio or worse? How about a square sensor like the machine vision cameras use if you must have more pixels. The only thing I agree with with real photographers is camera makers are putting too many pixels at a cost of low light ability. Scientist were able to extract license plate numbers in blurred photographs in the 60's why isn't this software available in all cameras today? It seams lithium batteries were not expensive enough now we have computerized batteries that charge each cell and shut down in high humidity and cost $60 to replace. I'm not a real photographer and never will be.
Justinr

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm not going to let the statement real photographers by Michael Reichmann pass without some comment. I've been on the edge of the industry since the 80's when I did quality control for Colorcraft or since I was born when you consider my Uncle Noel started in WW2 and owned the Hardin County Independent. But I'm not going to accuse all of you for being snobs because you own cameras that he couldn't afford. That's not what this is about. What this is about is what real photographers focus on that is opposed to scientific photographers. Even back then I knew there were two common red rhodopsin variants. Now I think there are hundreds, tetrachromats aside. What is correct color is a mater of taste and the scientific instruments do not adequately mimic the most common eye. Try putting a fluorescent color under your densitometer and see what happens. When the Lytro first came out I wondered if it was able to bring everything in focus. I now know this can be done in software and I'm amazed they didn't think of this. Real photographers worry about bokeh which means a factor of 10 increase in the cost of lenses for an increase of 1 f stop at the high end. Scientific photographers want everything in focus. 24 frame per second video drives me nuts and I can see the doubled frames when these are adapted for television. 16 9 aspect ratio or worse? How about a square sensor like the machine vision cameras use if you must have more pixels. The only thing I agree with with real photographers is camera makers are putting too many pixels at a cost of low light ability. Scientist were able to extract license plate numbers in blurred photographs in the 60's why isn't this software available in all cameras today? It seams lithium batteries were not expensive enough now we have computerized batteries that charge each cell and shut down in high humidity and cost $60 to replace. I'm not a real photographer and never will be.

I wouldn't worry about it. At the end of the day a photographer is somebody in the act of taking a photograph, let others fret over the nuances and just get on with what you enjoy or puts the bread on the table.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:08:44 AM by Justinr » Logged

Jim Pascoe

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »
ReplyReply

Charles, can I suggest that you inform us where this reference to 'real photographers' is.  Because your post seems like a long ramble about a number of seemingly unrelated points otherwise.  I'm a bit lost.

Jim
Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:48:50 PM »
ReplyReply

Charles, can I suggest that you inform us where this reference to 'real photographers' is.  Because your post seems like a long ramble about a number of seemingly unrelated points otherwise.  I'm a bit lost.

Jim
+1.

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Kirk Gittings

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 01:25:09 PM »
ReplyReply

+1.

+2

Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Gittings
Architecture and Landscape Photography
WWW.GITTINGSPHOTO.COM

LIGHT+SPACE+STRUCTURE (blog)
RSL

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »
ReplyReply

+3

Christoph C. Feldhaim

There is no rule! No - wait ...

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »
ReplyReply

+4

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 04:29:19 PM »
ReplyReply

Maybe it's time to start a Society for Long-Unappreciated Real Photographers (S.L.U.R.P.)  Cheesy

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Justinr

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 04:32:04 PM »
ReplyReply

Maybe it's time to start a Society for Long-Unappreciated Real Photographers (S.L.U.R.P.)  Cheesy

I'll drink to that!

Isaac

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 08:11:26 PM »
ReplyReply

Charles, can I suggest that you inform us where this reference to 'real photographers' is.

My guess, Mr Reichmann's most recent article - "What Matters?"

Page search "real photographers" finds -- "Work with real photographers to find out what they want, what they like, and what they don't like."
Schewe

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Page search "real photographers" finds -- "Work with real photographers to find out what they want, what they like, and what they don't like."

Which has zero to do with what the OP is yapping about :~)

Good catch...
Jim Pascoe

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 08:35:35 AM »
ReplyReply

Ah yes, thank you.... I did scan the article again before my first post but missed it right at the end.  So now I can understand a couple of the points Charles raises, but it still seems a bit of a ramble.  Then we may not get clarification either because I see Mr Ramsey has been registered for four years but only made seven posts in the Forum.

Jim
CharlesRamsey

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm still here. There is a market for cameras that take AA batteries yet all the real photographers who do reviews state they hate them. Does it bother any of you that lithium is a national stategic metal and we are prepared to go to war with any country that cuts us off.
Schewe

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 06:59:40 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm still here. There is a market for cameras that take AA batteries yet all the real photographers who do reviews state they hate them. Does it bother any of you that lithium is a national stategic metal and we are prepared to go to war with any country that cuts us off.

Nope...
BernardLanguillier

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 08:13:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Nope...

I guess that the question these days is more about what Russia would have to be cut off of to go to war with the rest of the world.

That will make this whole "debate" about real photographer a tiny bit secondary I am afraid.

Cheers,
Bernard

A few images online here!
michael
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 10:23:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Now we can understand why running a site like this with an open forum can drive someone crazy.

Michael

Ps. I'm not quite crazy yet, That's why Kevin is now here.  Wink

Michael
Jason DiMichele

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 11:19:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Charles, can I suggest that you inform us where this reference to 'real photographers' is.  Because your post seems like a long ramble about a number of seemingly unrelated points otherwise.  I'm a bit lost.

Jim

+1

Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer and Printer
www.jasondimichele.com
Christoph C. Feldhaim

There is no rule! No - wait ...

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 01:58:08 AM »
ReplyReply

Now we can understand why running a site like this with an open forum can drive someone crazy.

Michael

Michael

Welcome to the real world ...

Cheers
~Chris

Justinr

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 04:14:15 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm not sure that it's natural resources we have to worry about as much as the whole economic system collapsing due to the fiat currencies becoming utterly valueless. The whole circus seems to be flying on a wing and prayer and even the Bank of England has waded in to the argument by telling economists they've got it all wrong - http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2014/3/18/economy/boes-sharp-shock-monetary-illusions

jjj

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 06:05:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Michael

To finish the job off??  Grin

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad