Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Ripped off?  (Read 3493 times)
straightbanana

« on: March 21, 2014, 07:12:07 AM »
ReplyReply

I live near Luton in Bedfordshire.

I have been using a lab really close to where I live recently, well actually the whole time since I've been shooting film, which is not long. 11 months. Though only the last three months exclusively.

The first set of rolls run through with them were scratched which was not a really good start.
The lab tech said the scratching was all my fault and most likely the camera.

I then got the camera checked out and they said it was fine. That cost £30.

The second set were also slightly scratched and dark, though the darkness more than likely was my fault.
Since then no more scratches but the price has gone up every time I've been in there, it just seemed it was me who was getting rinsed.

I ran in paid and collected my 4 developed films, stupidly I paid and left as I was double parked. When I got home I saw they had written on the paperwork £7.30 per roll and that I'd paid £29 odd for 4 rolls of E6 developing.

I felt sure they had made a mistake on the price so I looked on their website. The cost of the 4 rolls of E6 I took to them should have cost me £4.80 inc VAT per roll.

I rang them up to ask if this was a mistake and I got, "people don't process E6 anymore", "chemicals are impossible to get hold of", "times are changing", "times are hard", "these are my costs", "I've got them written in front of me", "the prices on the website should have been updated", "I have to stand my ground", "I'm running a business", "what do you expect me to do?", "this is how things are".

My response was I'm very sorry, from what your saying it's my fault for not checking your prices had risen almost double since 4 weeks ago, I'll have to use any of the other people out there who are charging £4.50 for E6. Their response was, "what!?, £4.50?, nobody can do it that cheap!", well you'd best go there then!"

My response was sorry but I'm having to go elsewhere as your prices are too high, goodbye.

No apology just excuses. I feel I somehow came off the worse. Not sure if I even feel better for moaning to you guys.

Anyone able to recommend a good lab, or should I just by the (readily available) chemicals for any of the numerous shops online or high street shops I've seen and do it myself?

Thanks in advance.
Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:15:55 AM »
ReplyReply

I believe the law is in the UK that an advertised price has to be given to a customer.

straightbanana

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:33:26 AM »
ReplyReply

I thought that as well, but trying to convince the Lab owner what the law states is futile.
MikeJackson

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:34:53 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi,
I'm based in the U.K. too and have always used Peter Gaffney in Birmingham.   Reasonable prices and they will give you post paid labels so your film/films don't cost any money to send either.
See :
http://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/e6-processing-120-1678-p.asp
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:37:31 AM by MikeJackson » Logged
straightbanana

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:35:48 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi,
I'm based in the U.K. too and have always used Peter Gaffney in Birmingham.   Freasonable prices and they will give you post paid labels so your film/films don't coat any money to send either.
See :

Awesome cheers.
Chris Livsey

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:45:27 AM »
ReplyReply

http://www.peak-imaging.com/htmls/film_processing.htm
http://www.e6processing.co.uk/pricelist.html
E6 £4-90 36 exp

http://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/e6-processing-35mm-525-p.asp

£4.49 36 exp

http://www.metroimaging.co.uk/prices/film-processing
Pro lab £10
http://www.bayeux.co.uk/film_processing
Pro lab £8-50

No P&P factored in nor volume discounts.

ATB
Chris Livsey
http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Photographer- not a job description, a diagnosis.
Chris Livsey

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:48:50 AM »
ReplyReply

You had better brush upon that  Grin

The price on display, such as the price on the actual goods, the shelf edge price, the price given in an advertisement or on a website, can form part of what the law describes as 'an invitation to treat'. This means that the price given by the trader forms part of an invitation for you as a prospective buyer to make an offer to buy, which the trader is entitled to either accept or reject. You cannot insist that a trader sells anything at the marked price, whether or not the trader has made a mistake.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/brighton-hove/con1item.cgi?file=*ADV1011-1111.txt

What is described may be in breach of the clear and accurate guidance and a visit to the local Trading standards may give some satisfaction.

ATB
Chris Livsey
http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Photographer- not a job description, a diagnosis.
pixjohn

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »
ReplyReply

It sounds like they gouged you, but you where also not a smart consumer. You should have spoken up at the time, but you rushed. I am not sure if they have something like Yelp, but I would leave a review about price gouging.
Theodoros

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 03:46:10 AM »
ReplyReply

Best thing to do IMO, is to buy a used Jobo CPE-2 with lift, which is very reliable and easy to have self repaired and can be found for peanuts… and use "Tetenal Colortec E-6" box of chemicals and develop the films yourself… The whole process can be done in day light, (other than loading the film to the tank) you have total control of the process, cost is only a fraction (a used CPE-2 can "pay" its money back with 15-30 rolls of film) and development can be done whenever you want it (even immediately after shooting) so that one may decide to reshoot or not part of the project… Fun is different too and of course one doesn't have to double park his car or move his car at specific hours to collect the goods...
Herbc

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 11:17:14 AM »
ReplyReply

second the motion on doing it yourself.  I have done E 6 in an apartment, no prob.
Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 11:53:04 AM »
ReplyReply

It's been a long time, 10 years, but Peak used to scratch my E6 120 rolls too often for me to have continued with them. As I said a decade ago, no idea what they're like now.

I'm a big fan of http://www.photech.co.uk/ lots of big landscape pros used to use them (probably still do if any of them still use film). They use dip and dunk not rollers and the prices seem ok by todays super high film processing prices.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:54:58 AM by Ben Rubinstein » Logged

straightbanana

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »
ReplyReply

Thank you to all of the replies. I will take a look at all of the options.

You guys are great. Cheers.
artobest

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »
ReplyReply

Also, check out these guys:

http://www.the-darkroom.co.uk/

Nice people and pretty good service.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 12:05:15 AM »
ReplyReply

E6 is pretty straight forward. You should do it yourself. If you can dedicate a spot for it, it will be easier, faster, and consistent.

Sucks about the shop. Sounds like if he was able to rush it with scratches (or whoever was running it carelessly) he was willing to do it for less. But once you were pointing out his errors, he raised the price?

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Schewe

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 03:06:11 AM »
ReplyReply

E6 is pretty straight forward.

Yep...if you like that sort of thing. Fact is, chemical processing is going away...it's pretty foolish to cling to E-6 when digital capture far outstrips the image quality of film. Sorry, I really can't offer much encouragement to keep shooting analog. Your experience is a prime example why shooting analog film is pretty stupid.
Theodoros

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »
ReplyReply

E6 is pretty straight forward. You should do it yourself. If you can dedicate a spot for it, it will be easier, faster, and consistent.

Sucks about the shop. Sounds like if he was able to rush it with scratches (or whoever was running it carelessly) he was willing to do it for less. But once you were pointing out his errors, he raised the price?
In fact, all film processing is straight forward… easy and very cheap too… highly recommended for "projects under specific visualisation".

Theodoros

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 09:59:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Yep...if you like that sort of thing. Fact is, chemical processing is going away...it's pretty foolish to cling to E-6 when digital capture far outstrips the image quality of film. Sorry, I really can't offer much encouragement to keep shooting analog. Your experience is a prime example why shooting analog film is pretty stupid.
Too bad for you…  Shocked it has (film does) a specific "look" that digital can't duplicate…  Wink Too bad you'll never experience it, but A.Gursky and lots of others do it on daily basis…  Cheesy Obviously its a matter of implementing methods to achieve the photograph…. not better or worst, neither a matter of competition… just a "different look" that has to do with the "look" of a print and the creator's "visualisation process"… No "recommendations" can apply onto the matter…  Tongue
Rod.Klukas

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 12:40:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Re E6:
On doing it yourself.  Some comments: For consistency you should batch up several rolls as the chemicals began deteriorating almost immediately upon being mixed.  So check capacity of chem kit and try to get close to that number.

Second the 'home' kit process is different with E6 than in a labe.  At a labe at some point during the process, a precise amount of light is flashed onto the film.  This when it reverses to a positive.
In a home kit a chemical reversal bath causes the change.  It is much less consistent so you may find a variation in color, batch to batch, while doing it at home.  This is especially true if you don't use the chemistry within a day or so of its being mixed.

Just some information.
Oh and make sure to try for the extra step kits-6, I believe, as the slides are more stable and archival than those made with fast proces 3-4 step processes.
Rod

Rod Klukas
US Representative
Arca-Swiss International
480-755-3364
rod.klukas@arca-swiss.com

Arca-Swiss Digital Camera Solutions including R-series Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, and Ballheads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1 & Z2.
Schewe

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »
ReplyReply

Too bad for you…  Shocked it has (film does) a specific "look" that digital can't duplicate…  Wink Too bad you'll never experience it, but A.Gursky and lots of others do it on daily basis…

I think you misunderstand...I processed E6 in my darkroom at school (RIT) when E6 first came out. I used a dip&dunk to process 4x5 film E6 film as well as 21/4 and 35mm in Nikkor tanks.

I know exactly what film can look like–been shooting film from the late 70's till around 2001 when I got my first digital camera).

And...if you think film has a look you can't achieve with digital, I suggest you learn how to process digital files. :~)
Petrus

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 04:05:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Too bad for you…  Shocked it has (film does) a specific "look" that digital can't duplicate…  Wink

Maybe not "digital", but a photographer with decent skills and a high quality digital file surely can imitate every film nuance well enough to fool everybody. After all good digital file has more resolution and dynamic range than any film, so it can be manipulated to resemble scanned film at will.
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad