Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Mac application to find and delete duplicate photos?  (Read 16969 times)
louoates

« on: April 03, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »
ReplyReply

Help! Anyone have experience with Mac software to help find and delete duplicate photo files across multiple hard drives? My 4TB external backup drives are spilling over and I know I've been paranoid in keeping way too many copies of the same photographs but on different drives. Price is not a factor but not trashing my Mac is.
StoneNYC

StoneNYC

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:15:11 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm confused, if you have duplicate backups, why not use clone copy this will duplicate the drive but is you delete one file you just do a "backup clone" and it will erase the same file on all backup drives as well... Or am I misunderstanding what you Are doing?

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller
Eric Kellerman

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 09:51:49 AM »
ReplyReply

Do you want to search for specific files, or are you looking to let the software scan all your files to look for duplicates? If the former, then use Spotlight. If the latter, then perhaps a program like Printwindow5 might help.
RobSaecker

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:57:56 AM »
ReplyReply

Thereís PhotoSweeper, on the App Store for $10. Has good reviews; I havenít used it, so canít recommend one way or the other. There is also Photo Duplicate Cleaner, free on the App Store, also has good reviews. There are probably more too, those are just the ones I saw on the first page of the Photo category.

Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com
louoates

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 05:20:36 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks, all.
I'm trying to delete enough photo files so that Time Machine can put my entire system backup onto a 4TB external drive. I have almost 1 TB too many files. The best solution would be to have a program scan my 4 internal drives and auto-identify identical files that I can manually delete. I know I have duplicate psd files across 2 or 3 drives. I've noticed that some software checks just for identical folders and file names, not for exact file data.
I will probably delete most of my old raw files also.
I am looking at Araxis's FDF (Find Duplicate Files) software and may download a trial version to see if it works. All comments are welcome, especially if you've purchased and used FDF or other apps.
langier

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 06:05:05 PM »
ReplyReply

Why not make it easier on you and get a couple more large drives, one for the files, the other a clone.

Compared to file management and finding dupe files, big drives are cheap. However, the time for go out to shoot and to enjoy photography are priceless!

Larry Angier
ASMP, NAPP, ACT, and many more!

Webmaster, RANGE magazine
Editor emeritus, NorCal Quarterly

web--http://www.angier-fox.photoshelter.com
facebook--larry.angier
twitter--#larryangier
google+LarryAngier
BobShaw

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 06:52:53 PM »
ReplyReply

I agree with langier. Life's too short. If you delete a file and it is a referenced file for something else it will just cause problems. Get a big Drobo or something and stop making duplicates.

I just have one copy on a hard drive and all the programs like Aperture, Capture One, Lightroom reference to the same files. It is actually on a server so all the computers can use it. That drive is TimeMachine backed up each night.

Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Blog - http://AspirationImages.com/blog
Photography, Custom Framing and Printing, Sydney Australia
louoates

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 09:46:25 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm taking your advice and not worrying about the dupes. Thanks for all your comments.
StoneNYC

StoneNYC

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 01:58:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Pretty sure Adobe Lightroom has a find duplicates feature... I can't be certain but I think it does.

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller
john beardsworth

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 12:38:43 AM »
ReplyReply

No it doesn't. It just has a way to avoid importing duplicates.

StoneNYC

StoneNYC

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 10:41:29 AM »
ReplyReply

No it doesn't. It just has a way to avoid importing duplicates.

OH, gotcha, I knew I remembered something about that, thanks for the correct info

sharperstill

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 04:04:38 AM »
ReplyReply

For the record I have found duplicates using Bridge set to sort by file size. This works well for rendered files like JPG  or TIFF but I imagine won't be at all useful for RAW files.
red2

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
ReplyReply

You might check out Gemini:
http://macpaw.com/gemini
Available at the Mac App store

Regards,
Bob D.
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad