Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: New Leica T-Type 701  (Read 12424 times)
Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2014, 03:12:59 AM »
ReplyReply

This is bringing innuendo and conspiracy theories to farcical levels.  You've got no named source, no citation, no link, no spec sheet - just an allegation, so far unsubstantiated. It's worthy of gossip rags.

At launch, the reviewers all had pre-release models to base their initial reports on. Their was, as it turned out, some MISINFORMATION, not lies, nor duplicity nor conspiracy. It wasn't just software correction - there was also doubt about whether or not the T had an AA filter - some were told yes, others no. It was clarified - the answer is no. Likewise for software correction (on M lenses). The T lenses do have software correction.

Software correction is not only for distortion, but also luminance vignetting and colour drift. I imagine it would be a time consuming and laborious job to correct the whole backlog of M lenses for the new aps-c sensor. Certainly difficult in time for the initial release but something they could add at a later date via firmware - if they so wish. Leica seem to be keen to differentiate amongst their products. Sinar - S - M - X and T. Now the M's have built-in correction already, the T is aimed at a different market - why would they ?

http://j.mp/1c7dRuR#sthash.aSeDbv8f.dpuf

Farcical? Perhaps, but the fact remains that as of today, there has been no official communication from Leica to clarify whether or not the T lenses have software correction of optical defects. The fact remains that during a presentation/interview a Leica representative said that the T lenses use only optical correction. This is not true.

So yes, Leica have not lied, but a Leica representative was one of the following: ignorant about the product; overenthusiastic; full of BS.

I was not discussing the filter, and I have no problem with software correction, just with false allegations and claims.

Relax, I am sure the T is a great camera, I would buy one with the 35mm equivalent lens if I had the money. As it is, I make do with the also excellent Fuji X100...
Telecaster

« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2014, 02:53:33 PM »
ReplyReply

The fact remains that during a presentation/interview a Leica representative said that the T lenses use only optical correction. This is not true.

The fact remains? The possibility exists, yes, but who has established this as fact? All I've read are claims & statements, along with varying degrees of self-righteous indignation.

Anyway, per my earlier post on the subject, I suspect the fuss is less about this particular product and more about a distaste for Leica's marketing & pricing strategy. A distaste those objecting to the strategy are mostly unwilling to directly express.

-Dave-
KLaban

« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2014, 03:12:24 PM »
ReplyReply

"Leica T lenses: Correcting some distortions"

Every time I read this DPR heading I wonder if it's referring to lens distortions or distortions in their article?

mezzoduomo

« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »
ReplyReply

Good God, this is all so pointless...all of it, on this forum and elsewhere. Buy it, or don't. Everyone has an a**hole and an opinion, and its all so silly. If you think Dr. Kaufmann gives a rat's derriere, you're wrong. He's too busy counting his money.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:24:04 PM by mezzoduomo » Logged
MrSmith

« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2014, 01:18:22 AM »
ReplyReply

At least the 'image quality professor' sits there in his white coat and looks busy.
Maybe he (Leica MD) should stop counting his money, buff some aluminium then sign the camera for added value?
Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2014, 02:53:18 AM »
ReplyReply

The fact remains? The possibility exists, yes, but who has established this as fact? All I've read are claims & statements, along with varying degrees of self-righteous indignation.

Anyway, per my earlier post on the subject, I suspect the fuss is less about this particular product and more about a distaste for Leica's marketing & pricing strategy. A distaste those objecting to the strategy are mostly unwilling to directly express.

-Dave-

In my case, I have no distaste for Leica's marketing and pricing strategy. I know I will never have money to buy them:) Once upon a time I managed to buy a Leica CM, very nice camera. In my post, I never commented on their pricing, just that their representative was wrong in not being open about the correction subject.

Had I a distaste, you may be sure that I would have no problem in expressing it directly. I also can not understand all this "fan boyism" and defensive attitude, look, Leica does not need you to defend them:)
KLaban

« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2014, 03:27:55 AM »
ReplyReply

I also can not understand all this "fan boyism" and defensive attitude, look, Leica does not need you to defend them:)

Mention Leica and the clichés just abound. Doctors, lawyers, dentists, wealthy Asians, baubles, fan boys...

My cameras are less than perfect. I'm more critical of the manufacturers who make my cameras than those who don't. You can be sure that Leica are well aware of those criticisms. 

Telecaster

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »
ReplyReply

I also can not understand all this "fan boyism" and defensive attitude, look, Leica does not need you to defend them:)

Hey, I'm interested not in allegation but information. Anyone can claim anything about anything. But what are the facts of the matter? Seems to me the matter is murky, therefore best not to make conclusions. I could care less about defending Leica...but neither am I predisposed to condemn them.

Since we're already way off-topic...I've attached a test pic taken with an M8 & Zeiss 21/2.8 lens. 720 nanometer IR filter, ISO 640, 1/30th sec., f/5.6, handheld. Processed on my iPad with PhotoRaw and Photogene. The lens has an IR focus offset mark, which in my testing is well placed. One person's flaw—"excessive" IR sensitivity—is another's "Hell, yeah!"

-Dave-
bcooter

Bang The Drum All Day

« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2014, 04:45:00 AM »
ReplyReply

Wow everyone.   Be cool.

All this is just fun talk about pretty little cameras to make pretty little pictures.

The Leica thing always freaks people out, I dunno why.

Maybe it's the Porsche 911 thing.  Some people see Le Man's victories, some see guys with gold chains, but honestly the brand stands for both.

Same with Leica.   It's a bauble to some, a well made tool for others, but it's nothing to get hot about.

This is my favorite m8 shot I did barcelona

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:52:23 AM by bcooter » Logged

ErikKaffehr

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2014, 07:27:55 AM »
ReplyReply

BC,

Nice picture, thanks for sharing.

Best regards
Erik

Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Top of Page