Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Is there a better control for LR than a Mouse / keyboard? Shuttle Pro?  (Read 2484 times)
One Frame at a Time

« on: June 02, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi,  I am looking for a better way to control LR.  I have a Shuttle Pro v.2 on hand from a long ago video project.  Wondering if anyone is using that; and could give some feedback?  I've seen a link to a Mac version of key mapping for the device (i'm pc) but it does not look all that helpful from a quick look.  My hope is to find a smooth and easy way to move the sliders without a mouse.
Thanks for any input.

Paul
KeithR

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 05:21:34 PM »
ReplyReply

I haven't used a mouse for over 15 years! Instead I use a trackball and for editing purposes, a Wacom tablet.

The destination is our goal but itís the journey that educates us.
JimAscher

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »
ReplyReply

I haven't used a mouse for over 15 years! Instead I use a trackball and for editing purposes, a Wacom tablet.

Same here.

Jim Ascher

See my new SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/
OnyimBob

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:38:09 PM »
ReplyReply

Might I ask which tablet?
Bob.

JimAscher

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »
ReplyReply

Bob.

An older model, the Bamboo (CTH-460).

Jim Ascher

See my new SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/
KeithR

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 05:36:33 PM »
ReplyReply

Bob.
I have the Intuos3  6"x11"

The destination is our goal but itís the journey that educates us.
Rand47

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 07:43:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Bob.

Intuous 5 Touch  "medium."  The large size is "too large" IMO, for photo editing.

I'm still about 80% mouse, 20% tablet for finer editing control when needed.

Rand
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 04:21:57 PM by Rand47 » Logged
k bennett

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 09:05:01 AM »
ReplyReply

Bob.

I have the big Intuos III also. I like the size. I do turn off all the buttons because I kept hitting them accidentally, so I use the tablet in conjunction with the keyboard and a mouse -- the keyboard for keystroke commands to choose tools, change brush sizes, etc., in LR and PS.

I did try a Bamboo at home but the tip is totally different and I couldn't stand it.

Equipment: a camera and some lenses.
Chris Sanderson
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 11:32:46 AM »
ReplyReply

If you like using Apple's TouchPad with gestures, The Touch looks very cool.

I have tried it with Final Cut and it works very well.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:34:35 AM by Chris Sanderson » Logged

Christopher Sanderson
The Luminous-Landscape
mhospelt

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 12:57:15 PM »
ReplyReply

Use the Wacom Intuous 4. Great tablet and you can get them cheap on Ebay. But for 60% of my editing  I use still my Logitech Mouse.
One Frame at a Time

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 01:22:34 PM »
ReplyReply

I think what bothers me most is holding down the mouse button when moving the sliders back an forth. During a long session it becomes tiresome and tedious.  Is there a way to use the keyboard arrows so the adjustment moves one increment at a time, instead of jumping 5 at a time?
Misirlou

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 05:56:35 PM »
ReplyReply

I think what bothers me most is holding down the mouse button when moving the sliders back an forth. During a long session it becomes tiresome and tedious.  Is there a way to use the keyboard arrows so the adjustment moves one increment at a time, instead of jumping 5 at a time?

Yes. Click on the number displayed for the slider's current value, just under the right end of the slider. You can either type a number in directly, or use the up and down arrow keys to adjust by value per press.
One Frame at a Time

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 11:42:53 PM »
ReplyReply

Terrific! Thanks!  I knew you could enter a value but that doesn't work too well if your trying to close in on an end point.  The up down should help my cramping hand :-)
Misirlou

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »
ReplyReply

Terrific! Thanks!  I knew you could enter a value but that doesn't work too well if your trying to close in on an end point.  The up down should help my cramping hand :-)

What I'd really like is if the scroll wheel on my trackball would do that.
Rand47

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
ReplyReply

What I'd really like is if the scroll wheel on my trackball would do that.

On my mouse w/ scroll wheel, if I left-click and "hold" on the slider handle, the scroll wheel will then move the slider. 

Rand
Misirlou

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »
ReplyReply

On my mouse w/ scroll wheel, if I left-click and "hold" on the slider handle, the scroll wheel will then move the slider. 

Rand

I got that to work too. Very useful.
luxborealis

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 07:57:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,  I am looking for a better way to control LR.  I have a Shuttle Pro v.2 on hand from a long ago video project.  Wondering if anyone is using that; and could give some feedback?  I've seen a link to a Mac version of key mapping for the device (i'm pc) but it does not look all that helpful from a quick look.  My hope is to find a smooth and easy way to move the sliders without a mouse.
Thanks for any input.

Paul

I'm using my MacBook Pro's touch pad with the right hand and the keyboard with the left - it plays just like a piano.

One thing I stopped using almost right away were the LR sliders. While they may be helpful for gross adjustments, I now skip them in favour of the cursor (and Shift+cursor) keys as I can fine tune results much more easily. I use tab (and Shift+tab) to move back and forth through the fields as needed.

Terry McDonald
Revealing the art inherent in nature
- visit luxBorealis.com.
Have a read of my PhotoBlog and subscribe!
Roberto Frieri

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 04:29:40 AM »
ReplyReply

Not with LR, but with Capture One, I use an Intuos 5 Pro Small. Sometimes it's very very useful.

Roberto Frieri
www.robertofrieri.net
Rhossydd

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 03:13:23 AM »
ReplyReply

I have a Shuttle Pro v.2 on hand from a long ago video project.  Wondering if anyone is using that; and could give some feedback?
To address this original question; Yes, I've used a Shuttle with Lightroom.
I found it most useful in the library module. It took a while to set up a custom set of commands, but then it made some tasks much easier. However I didn't really find it any use in the Develop module. After a few months I gave up with it, it was only really of any use when importing large numbers of images and I don't do that too often.
The shuttles are designed for video work and excel at that as it needs a different set of interactions with the UI. Lightroom just doesn't much benefit from that hardware.

Despite having a graphics tablet and shuttle available, I still find working with the mouse fastest.
Ellis Vener

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »
ReplyReply

This is ridiculously expensive but it does work very well once you have trained yourself to use it: http://www.rpgkeys.com/

Personally I use a standard keyboard, a mouse and a Wacom Intous 5.

Ellis Vener
http://www.ellisvener.com
Creating photographs for advertising, corporate and industrial clients since 1984.
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad